* [NTG-context] OBSD 7.3 binary locally compiled… what next?
@ 2023-05-04 10:11 damien thiriet via ntg-context
From: damien thiriet via ntg-context @ 2023-05-04 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: damien

Hi,

I upgraded today my OBSD to 7.3 and… realized too late that texlive
binaries were on the compile farm, but not the lmtx ones. That was the
opportunity to learn self-install, though.
I compiled the binary, but I am stuck with the next step

What I did:

- rm -rf /usr/local/context/* (now I suspect I should have first updated
my 7.2 installation and then, after upgrading to 7.3, compiled the
binaries…)
- download  https://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/latest/cont-tmf.zip
- unpacked it into /usr/local/context (unzip cont-tmf.zip -d
/usr/local/context/)
- cd /usr/local/context/source/luametatex
- ./build.sh --native

Compilation succeeded, looks like the binary lies in
/usr/local/context/source/luametatex/build/native/luametatex

What's the next step?

There was this message:

==============
tex trees

resources like public fonts  : tex/texmf/....
the context macro package    : tex/texmf-context/....
the luametatex binary        : tex/texmf-native/bin/...
optional third party modules : tex/texmf-context/....
fonts installed by the user  : tex/texmf-fonts/fonts/data/....
styles made by the user      : tex/texmf-projects/tex/context/user/....

binaries:

tex/texmf-<your platform>/bin/luametatex     : the compiled binary (some
2-3MB)
tex/texmf-<your platform>/bin/mtxrun         : copy of or link to
luametatex
tex/texmf-<your platform>/bin/context        : copy of or link to
luametatex
tex/texmf-<your platform>/bin/mtxrun.lua     : copy of
tex/texmf-context/scripts/context/lua/mtxrun.lua
tex/texmf-<your platform>/bin/context.lua    : copy of
tex/texmf-context/scripts/context/lua/context.lua

commands:

mtxrun --generate                 : create file database
mtxrun --script fonts --reload    : create font database
mtxrun --autogenerate context ... : run tex file (e.g. from editor)
https://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/latest/cont-tmf.zip

The tex/texmf/ folder does not exist yet.

Does this mean I have to create that part of the tree by hand (which
means should I have unpacked the zip at /usr/local/context/tex/texmf
rather than /usr/local/context)?I’d bet copying anything(copying mtxrun
from
/usr/local/context/scripts/context/stubs/unix/mtxrun ?

Should I run install.sh – which I not did, assuming maybe wrongly that
it would fail, and if so, which options?

Thank you for your time,

Damien

* Re: [NTG-context] OBSD 7.3 binary locally compiled… what next?
@ 2023-05-04 10:56 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-05-04 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 5/4/2023 12:11 PM, damien thiriet via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I upgraded today my OBSD to 7.3 and… realized too late that texlive
> binaries were on the compile farm, but not the lmtx ones. That was the
> opportunity to learn self-install, though.
> I compiled the binary, but I am stuck with the next step
>
> What I did:
>
> - rm -rf /usr/local/context/* (now I suspect I should have first updated
> my 7.2 installation and then, after upgrading to 7.3, compiled the
> binaries…)
> - download  https://www.pragma-ade.nl/context/latest/cont-tmf.zip
> - unpacked it into /usr/local/context (unzip cont-tmf.zip -d
> /usr/local/context/)
> - cd /usr/local/context/source/luametatex
> - ./build.sh --native
>
> Compilation succeeded, looks like the binary lies in
> /usr/local/context/source/luametatex/build/native/luametatex
>
> What's the next step?
you should make

tex/texmf-openbsd7.3-amd64

and put 5 files there:

luametatex
context -> luametatex
mtxrun  -> luametatex
mtxrun.lua
context.lua

you can take the lua files from

tex/texmf-openbsd7.2-amd64

or you can just rename the 7.2 path to 7.3 and move luametatex there

(of course you then also need to adapt your path to the new situation)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: [NTG-context] OBSD 7.3 binary locally compiled… what next?
@ 2023-05-08 21:52 damien thiriet via ntg-context
From: damien thiriet via ntg-context @ 2023-05-08 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: damien

Hello,

> you should make
>
> tex/texmf-openbsd7.3-amd64
>
> and put 5 files there:
>
> luametatex
> context -> luametatex
> mtxrun  -> luametatex
> mtxrun.lua
> context.lua

Thanks for your hints. I did as you said but got stucked with a tree
structure problem.
Since I was lacking the time to dig into it, and a new update was
announced, I simply loaded the new binary from pragma.
But I now understand the workflow to update to 7.4: update to the latest
lmtx (I do not update so often), ugrade OBSD, build the new binary if no
upload is available.

Anyway, 7.3 binaries work ok.
Many thanks!

Damien T