* XML in latest betas (MkIV & LMTX)
@ 2019-06-02 11:17 Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2019-06-02 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list,

I have just installed latest betas for both MkIV and LMTX.

Compiling exactly the same XML sources (a book on ConTeXt in Spanish),
MkIV needs 40s and LMTX more than 52s.

This is the first time I get such a difference in compilation times.

I’m afraid I can’t be sure that output is the same, since different
spacing gives different page numbers.

I wonder whether this might be an issue.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: XML in latest betas (MkIV & LMTX)
@ 2019-06-02 12:12 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-06-02 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/2/2019 1:17 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have just installed latest betas for both MkIV and LMTX.
>
> Compiling exactly the same XML sources (a book on ConTeXt in Spanish),
> MkIV needs 40s and LMTX more than 52s.

Hm. Is that the first time you compare a MKIV runs with an LMTX run for
that document? I assume that you time multiple runs.

> This is the first time I get such a difference in compilation times.

On the average LMTX should be faster than MKIV (and definitely not 20%
slower). I assume it's regular luatex?

> I’m afraid I can’t be sure that output is the same, since different
> spacing gives different page numbers.

Not sure where that comes from. There are no fundamental changes wrr
spacing.

> I wonder whether this might be an issue.
Hard to say without a MWE that exposes the same

* Re: XML in latest betas (MkIV & LMTX)
@ 2019-06-02 13:07   ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2019-06-02 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 6/2/19 2:12 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> [...]
>> Compiling exactly the same XML sources (a book on ConTeXt in Spanish),
>> MkIV needs 40s and LMTX more than 52s.
>
> Hm. Is that the first time you compare a MKIV runs with an LMTX run for
> that document? I assume that you time multiple runs.

No, it isn’t the first time I compare and I time multiple runs.

>> This is the first time I get such a difference in compilation times.
>
> On the average LMTX should be faster than MKIV (and definitely not 20%
> slower). I assume it's regular luatex?

Sorry, this was my fault. I thought I was running luatex and it was
luajittex.

MkIV times with luatex are 51.x seconds, which is a tiny bit faster than
LMTX (52.x seconds). But this is perfectly normal.

>> I’m afraid I can’t be sure that output is the same, since different
>> spacing gives different page numbers.
>
> Not sure where that comes from. There are no fundamental changes wrr
> spacing.

Font expansion (as reported in
https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2019/095175.html).

>> I wonder whether this might be an issue.
> Hard to say without a MWE that exposes the same

Sorry for the noise,

Pablo
--

@ 2019-06-02 15:18     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-06-02 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/2/2019 3:07 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:

> Font expansion (as reported in
> https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2019/095175.html).

font expansion is always slower (but i admit that i never use it)

Hans