From: Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: International characters in math
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 15:16:47 +0200	[thread overview]

I also ran into two problems concerning accented math while
experimenting a bit (see below).

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Radhelorn wrote:
> > Thanks Hans, Wolfgang for your advice. \mbox and \text in newmath solves
> > some problems like units, but what if I want bold roman math with
> > international characters (or my own fonts) by default?

To enable bold math by default write:
    \definetypeface[somename][mm][boldmath][latin-modern][default][rscale=1]
    % optional parameter rscale may be any number

followed by
    \setupbodyfont[somename]

if you want some other font, for example euler, choose one of the
following lines:
    %\definetypeface[somename][mm][math][euler][euler]
    %\definetypeface[somename][mm][boldmath][euler][euler]

But what exactly do you mean by bold math with accented characters?
You can either typeset in mathmode, where you use \hat, \check,
\acute, \grave, \bar, \vec, \dot, \ddot, \breve, \tilde or any other
accent that you compose by yourself (poor results for accented
characters, anyway). You can then set bold math to be the default. Or
you can switch to text mode inside math using \hbox{...} as Hans
described. If you want bold inside \hbox{...}, you probably have to
define it in every \hbox manually or use bold font as default in the
whole document.
(If I'm wrong, please correct me.)

Accented characters should work everywhere inside text mode as long as
I understand. But quite some effort was put into ConTeXt to enable
more advanced features regarding fonts, so it may be that ConTeXt
sometimes accidentally fails to produce the desired result. Send an
example if you think that it is causing troubles.

> > I'm trying to figure it out from sources, but it's very long and hard way.
>
> $\hbox{\tf \'e\'erste}$ and $\mbox{\'e\'erste}$

Is there any special reason that we have to write $\hbox{\tf ...}$?

In plain TeX $\hbox{\v{c}}$ works just fine, while ConTeXt runs into
the same kind of problems as last time with accented characters in
MathML.

Can someone please try this:

\definetypeface[somename][mm][math][euler][euler]
\setupbodyfont[somename]
\starttext
$$\sqrt{\acute{a}+\bar{b}+\dot{c}}$$
\stoptext

I don't get any accents. Am I doing something wrong?

Mojca