* Issues: framedtext and tables inside itemized list
@ 2005-08-23 22:09 Eugene Toporov
       [not found] ` <430BBB53.3020703@gmail.com>
From: Eugene Toporov @ 2005-08-23 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have some issues with different things but both inside itemized lists:

1. Framed text width is calculated not as I expect. The sample below makes
framedtext box appear partially on right margin

\setupcolors[state=start]
\setuplayout[width=9cm]
\showframe
\starttext
\startitemize[n,packed]
\item A normal item paragraph, which normaly gets wrapped ok.\par
\startframedtext[background=screen,frame=off,width=\textwidth]
Some listing as framedtext whose width seems calculated incorrectly.
\stopframedtext
\stopitemize
\stoptext

In my docs I represent programlistings using these framedtexts and need them
all to be the same width (\textwidth). Is there a way to make those
framedtexts that appear inside itemization remain in boundaries? The same
concerns tables (natural).

2. Another question with natural tables inside itemized list..If I set
[split=repeat] or [split=yes] for table it is not correctly aligned inside
itemized list. The below example shows this.

\setuplayout[width=9cm]
\showframe
\starttext
\startitemize[n,packed]
\noindent
\bTABLE
\bTR \bTH Operation\eTH \bTH[align=middle] Result\eTH \eTR
\bTR \bTD The "Librarian" application starts with the {\tt{}Index} page.\eTD
\bTD[align=middle] OK \eTD \eTR
\bTR \bTD When clicking the links on the {\tt{}Index} page, the empty
{\tt{}List\-All} and {\tt{}Add\-Book} pages open.\eTD \bTD[align=middle] OK
\eTD \eTR
\eTABLE
\noindent
\stopitemize
\stoptext

I'm currently obliged to have non-splittable tables in lists. tIs there a
way to make it render better?

Thank you in advance!
--
Regards.
Eugene Toporov

* Re: Issues: framedtext and tables inside itemized list
       [not found] ` <430BBB53.3020703@gmail.com>
@ 2005-08-24 23:32   ` Eugene Toporov
From: Eugene Toporov @ 2005-08-24 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

On 8/24/05, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Eugene Toporov wrote:
> > I have some issues with different things but both inside itemized lists:
> >
> > 1. Framed text width is calculated not as I expect. The sample below
> makes
> > framedtext box appear partially on right margin

\textwidth is a constant that doesn't change when you enter a smaller box.
> Do you want to get rid of the space left of the box or do you want to
> have a frame, narrower than textwidth?

I want the narrower frame with the right edge always at the same place.

a)
> \startitemize[n,packed]
> \item A normal item paragraph, which normaly gets wrapped ok.
> \stopitemize
> \startframedtext[background=screen,frame=off,width=\textwidth]
> Some listing as framedtext whose width seems calculated incorrectly.
> \stopframedtext
> \startitemize[n,packed,continue]
> \item something else
> \stopitemize

I did not know about the startitemize's continue option. May be useful
someday. So, thanks!

b) You can access \leftskip to get idea how much space is left on the
> left side, there is also a \hsize, but there must be some better solution.

Will try playing with this if no other solutions.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Eugene

@ 2005-08-26  6:16 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2005-08-26  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eugene Toporov wrote:
>  1. Framed text width is calculated not as I expect. The sample below makes
> framedtext box appear partially on right margin
>
>  \setupcolors[state=start]
>  \setuplayout[width=9cm]
>  \showframe
>  \starttext
>    \startitemize[n,packed]
>      \item A normal item paragraph, which normaly gets wrapped ok.\par
>
> \startframedtext[background=screen,frame=off,width=\textwidth]
>          Some listing as framedtext whose width seems calculated
> incorrectly.
>        \stopframedtext
>    \stopitemize
>  \stoptext

In LaTeX you have a \linewidth command (compare the difference with
\textwidth, which doesn't change):

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
linewidth: \the\linewidth, textwidth: \the\textwidth
\begin{itemize}
\item linewidth: \the\linewidth, textwidth: \the\textwidth
\end{itemize}
\end{document}

However, in ConTeXt the linewidth is reserved for "rule thickness" or
something similar. Which is the ConTeXt alternative to LaTeX's
\linewidth?

Mojca

* Re: Issues: framedtext and tables inside itemized list
@ 2005-08-26 13:16   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-08-26 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> However, in ConTeXt the linewidth is reserved for "rule thickness" or
> something similar. Which is the ConTeXt alternative to LaTeX's
> \linewidth?

There is no such thing, I believe. There is \columnwidth when in
colums, but outside that I normally do something like

   \the\dimexpr \hsize-\leftskip-\rightskip\relax

Greetings, Taco

* Re: Issues: framedtext and tables inside itemized list
@ 2005-08-26 17:27     ` Eugene Toporov
From: Eugene Toporov @ 2005-08-26 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wow, that's really something! And it works!

Do you think such "thing" telling the real text width could be useful in
ConTeXt?

A big thank you once again!

--

@ 2005-08-27  7:11       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-08-27  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eugene Toporov wrote:
> Wow, that's really something! And it works!
>
> Do you think such "thing" telling the real text width could be useful in
> ConTeXt?

Yes, I think so. Something like \localtextwidth maybe.

Taco

* Re: Issues: framedtext and tables inside itemized list
@ 2005-08-27 21:51         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2005-08-27 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Yes, I think so. Something like \localtextwidth maybe.

I think this sounds OK.

Mojca

* Re: Issues: framedtext and tables inside itemized list
@ 2005-08-29 11:12   ` Hans Hagen Outside
From: Hans Hagen Outside @ 2005-08-29 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

>However, in ConTeXt the linewidth is reserved for "rule thickness" or
>something similar. Which is the ConTeXt alternative to LaTeX's
>\linewidth?

\setlocalhsize \the\localhsize

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-08-29 13:35           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-08-29 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

>Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>

>>Yes, I think so. Something like \localtextwidth maybe.

there is already \setlocalhsize  and \localhsize

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-08-29 13:51             ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-08-29 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>>

>>> Yes, I think so. Something like \localtextwidth maybe.
>>>

> there is already \setlocalhsize  and \localhsize

I actually knew (or rather: should have remembered) that. :-/

Taco

* Re: Issues: framedtext and tables inside itemized list
@ 2005-08-30 16:27             ` Eugene Toporov
From: Eugene Toporov @ 2005-08-30 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)