* Newbie question ConText
@ 2006-01-16 14:21 Wim Neimeijer
From: Wim Neimeijer @ 2006-01-16 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am a Latex (MikTex 2.4, WindowsXP Pro) user and I want to learn more about
ConText.

I installed ConText via the MikTex 2.4 package manager, and read some of the
ConText manuals.

I also compiled successfully some of the ConText tex samples, but I ran into
a couple of problems :

- First I would like to know the most recent stable version of ConText and
where to get it.

- Looking at the logs of some of the runs e.g. compiling the MetaFun manual,
I am running into font problems.
Error messages like : maketfm : No creation rule for font
"ComputerModernSans-Bold"  pop up.

I saw some emails on this list dealing with the same problem, but I could
not find a definite solution.

Thanks for your help

Kind regards

W. Neimeijer

* Re: Newbie question ConText
@ 2006-01-17 13:23 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-01-17 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wim Neimeijer wrote:
> - First I would like to know the most recent stable version of ConText and
> where to get it.

MikTeX alredy includes the latest version (2006.01.13): if you
installed or updated after the 14th, you should already have the
newest one installed. There are always some bugs left in there, but
the version is just as stable as it gets.

However, here's where you can grab the latest files at any time:
http://www.pragma-ade.com/download-1.htm

> - Looking at the logs of some of the runs e.g. compiling the MetaFun manual,
> I am running into font problems.
> Error messages like : maketfm : No creation rule for font
> "ComputerModernSans-Bold"  pop up.

In type-syn.tex the following definitions:
\starttypescript [sans] [modern,computer-modern,latin-modern] [name]
  \definefontsynonym [Sans]             [ComputerModernSans]
  \definefontsynonym [SansBold]         [ComputerModernSans-Bold]
\stoptypescript

could be better replaced by the LatinModern alternatives I guess, but
there's another definition in type-enc.tex, which should fix that:

\starttypescript [sans] [modern,computer-modern,latin-modern] % [default]
  \definefontsynonym [ComputerModernSans]             [LMSans-Regular]
  \definefontsynonym [ComputerModernSans-Italic]      [LMSans-Oblique]
\stoptypescript

I wonder why these definitions aren't loaded. I run into other
problems when compiling, so I have no idea at which place this fails.
Can you copy-paste the last ten lines (it's difficult to copy from
command line, but if you use the right mouse button and some
imagination, you can have some luck)?

Which ConTeXt version are you using (texexec --version)?

Mojca