* lijgatures in LM
@ 2006-01-21  0:10 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-01-21  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: jacko

Hello, (the Dutch team),

Is it possible to prevent the "IJ" ligature in ec encoding in LM fonts
in ConTeXt somehow (except with manual intervention in every word
containing IJ)? I checked the behaviour in LaTeX with
\usepackage[T1]{inputenc} with the default font (some kind of Type 1
CM, but not LM), but it seems that only LM changes I and J to a
ligature (grrr ...). With the font in LaTeX it works OK.

"pdftotext" only knows how to convert the LaTeX document properly.
With the document prepared by ConTeXt, it fails to recognize the
ligature properly (searching in Acrobat works however). Besides the
fact that I and J separately (without a ligature) look much better, at
least in Slovenian words.

Thanks,
    Mojca

If any expert for ligatures is reading this: is it fair that "ccaron"
+ "k" ("h") have negative kerning, while "c" + "b" has no kerning at
all? I guess that "ck" was made because of the Germans, but at the
same time I guess that they don't need "čk" at all and I have a
feeling that the caron almost "bumps" into the serif. I compared with
LaTeX, but that font uses a smaller caron. (Without EC encoding
there's no negative kerning after ccaron present anyway.)

* Re: lijgatures in LM
@ 2006-01-21  8:49 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-01-21  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: jacko

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Hello, (the Dutch team),
>
> Is it possible to prevent the "IJ" ligature in ec encoding in LM fonts
> in ConTeXt somehow (except with manual intervention in every word
> containing IJ)? I checked the behaviour in LaTeX with
> \usepackage[T1]{inputenc} with the default font (some kind of Type 1
> CM, but not LM), but it seems that only LM changes I and J to a
> ligature (grrr ...). With the font in LaTeX it works OK.

You can do this (only works in pdftex):

   \definefonthandling [noij][noij][type=tag]
    \startfonthandling[noij]
   \settagcode I {\notagcode}
   \settagcode i {\notagcode}
   \stopfonthandling
    \enablehandling[noij]

Be warned that this also destroys any kerning info for the I and i.
Not a big problem in this case (the number of kernings is minimal)
but something to watch out for in general.

  Cheers, Taco

* Re: lijgatures in LM
@ 2006-01-23 16:20   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-01-23 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/21/06, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> > Hello, (the Dutch team),
> >
> > Is it possible to prevent the "IJ" ligature in ec encoding in LM fonts
> > in ConTeXt somehow (except with manual intervention in every word
> > containing IJ)? I checked the behaviour in LaTeX with
> > \usepackage[T1]{inputenc} with the default font (some kind of Type 1
> > CM, but not LM), but it seems that only LM changes I and J to a
> > ligature (grrr ...). With the font in LaTeX it works OK.
>
> You can do this (only works in pdftex):
>
>    \definefonthandling [noij][noij][type=tag]
>     \startfonthandling[noij]
>    \settagcode I {\notagcode}
>    \settagcode i {\notagcode}
>    \stopfonthandling
>     \enablehandling[noij]
>
> Be warned that this also destroys any kerning info for the I and i.
> Not a big problem in this case (the number of kernings is minimal)
> but something to watch out for in general.

Thanks a lot. I took a look at the source now. It would be nicer to
say something like

\startlanguagespecifics[nl]
\enablehandling[ij]
\stoplanguagespecifics

and disable it everywhere else, but this would be a way too deep hack,
which could break more than it would fix (and since it's irreversible
it wouldn't work that way anyway).

Thanks for the pointer,
    Mojca