* BibTeX and \placelistoffloats questions
@ 2006-02-18  1:30 Fabian Doerk
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Fabian Doerk @ 2006-02-18  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi ML,

currently i'am writing my thesis with ConTeXt and really appreciate your
work on ConTeXt. ConTeXt makes it possible to concentrate on the content
and needing as little as almost none TeX insights while achieving great
layout setups. Thanks. :) I'am just a ConTeXt user who hasn't any depth
knowledge of the whole TeX issue (yet).

I've can't find answers to some questions which poped up to complete my
desired setup. Please guide me to the place where i'll find the answers
which are hiding of me.

1. BibTeX xrefs:
   Is it possible to get interactive references (maybe even with
   different colour than the global interaction color) from the \cite
   command to the referring entry in the publicationlist working at the
   moment?

2. BibTeX different colored keys:
   The keys of \placepublications entries till the second entry on the
   second page are colored red, the following belonging to the global
   interactive color. What is the reason for that?

3. Vertical Spacing in \placelistoffloats:
   Is there a way to get vertical spacing in e.g. \listoffigures
   between figures of different chapters working?

I'am using the following software packages:
   - Web2C 7.5.4
   - pdfeTeX Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2
   - BibTeX 0.99c
   - ConTeXt ver: 2005.08.31 fmt: 2006.1.1
   - tried also ConTeXt ver: 2006.02.02 10:56 fmt: 2006.2.3 on
     completely different texfm trees.

Thanks for your help!
Fabian

* Re: BibTeX and \placelistoffloats questions
@ 2006-02-21  6:28 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2006-02-21  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006, Fabian Doerk wrote:

> 3. Vertical Spacing in \placelistoffloats:
>    Is there a way to get vertical spacing in e.g. \listoffigures
>    between figures of different chapters working?

Hello,
I've done it for the contents:

\setupcombinedlist[content][alternative=c]
\setuplist[chapter][before=\blank,alternative=b]

Perhaps something similar works for the list of floats.

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: BibTeX and \placelistoffloats questions
@ 2006-02-21  9:01 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-02-21  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Fabian,

> 1. BibTeX xrefs:
>    Is it possible to get interactive references (maybe even with
>    different colour than the global interaction color) from the \cite
>    command to the referring entry in the publicationlist working at the
>    moment?

What \cite style are you using? I can probably make something work
quickly for all but the authoryear(s) style(s).

> 2. BibTeX different colored keys:
>    The keys of \placepublications entries till the second entry on the
>    second page are colored red, the following belonging to the global
>    interactive color. What is the reason for that?

Do you know Torge, by chance? He asked the exact same question
only yesterday. Same answer: That red that you see is the
'contrastcolor' for interactivity.

I'm not sure (yet) whether the red page or the blue page is wrong,
but here is how to solve the discrepancy:

     \setupinteraction[contrastcolor=blue]

> 3. Vertical Spacing in \placelistoffloats:
>    Is there a way to get vertical spacing in e.g. \listoffigures
>    between figures of different chapters working?

At the end (or beginning) of a chapter, you can add:

   \writebetweenlist[figure]{\blank}

I am not sure that is the most elegant way to do it, but it works

Cheers, Taco

* Re: BibTeX and \placelistoffloats questions
@ 2006-02-21  9:40   ` Torge Szczepanek
From: Torge Szczepanek @ 2006-02-21  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

> Do you know Torge, by chance? He asked the exact same question
> only yesterday. Same answer: That red that you see is the
> 'contrastcolor' for interactivity.

We don't know each other. That is just a coincidence...

Greetings Torge

* Re: BibTeX and \placelistoffloats questions
@ 2006-02-21 17:41   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2006-02-21 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> > 2. BibTeX different colored keys:
> >    The keys of \placepublications entries till the second entry on the
> >    second page are colored red, the following belonging to the global
> >    interactive color. What is the reason for that?
>
> I'm not sure (yet) whether the red page or the blue page is wrong,
> but here is how to solve the discrepancy:

Hello Taco,
and what is the sense for these links? When I click on the red or green
numbers, I get back to the first page of the publication list...
Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* BibTeX and \placelistoffloats questions
@ 2006-02-21 18:17 ` Fabian Doerk
From: Fabian Doerk @ 2006-02-21 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Taco,

> > 1. BibTeX xrefs:
> >    Is it possible to get interactive references (maybe even with
> >    different colour than the global interaction color) from the \cite
> >    command to the referring entry in the publicationlist working at the
> >    moment?
>
> What \cite style are you using? I can probably make something work
> quickly for all but the authoryear(s) style(s).

I'am using the following setup and referring to the .bib file by \cite[key]:

    \setupbibtex[database=references,sort=author]
    \setuppublications[alternative=aps]
    \setuppublications[
        criterium=all,
        sorttype=bbl,
        numbering=short,
        numbercommand=\bibkeyfmt,
        autohang=yes,
        refcommand=short,
    ]
    \setuppublicationlist[
        totalnumber=50,
        after={\vskip 3ex},
        author={\normalauthor},
    ]

> > 2. BibTeX different colored keys:
> >    The keys of \placepublications entries till the second entry on the
> >    second page are colored red, the following belonging to the global
> >    interactive color. What is the reason for that?
>
> Do you know Torge, by chance? He asked the exact same question
> only yesterday. Same answer: That red that you see is the
> 'contrastcolor' for interactivity.

Uhm, am i blind? Sorry, but i can't find the thread you mentioned (searched in
the ml archives by the www.ntg.nl webfrontend). The only mail of Torge i've
found is his reply to this thread. Btw. I can confirm his statement, we do not
know each other (yet). ;)

> I'm not sure (yet) whether the red page or the blue page is wrong,
> but here is how to solve the discrepancy:
>
>      \setupinteraction[contrastcolor=blue]

Thanks, that worked just fine here! :) The red ones are wrong, i suppose, than
i set the interactive color to blue (by setting the color argument). Thats why
the rest is blue. Whats the difference of the "color" and the "contrastcolor"
argument of \setupinteraction? Sounds semantically equal to me.

> > 3. Vertical Spacing in \placelistoffloats:
> >    Is there a way to get vertical spacing in e.g. \listoffigures
> >    between figures of different chapters working?
>
> At the end (or beginning) of a chapter, you can add:
>
>    \writebetweenlist[figure]{\blank}
>
> I am not sure that is the most elegant way to do it, but it works

Also thanks for this hint, it worked as imagined! Elegance is at the current
stage of writing not an issue, just finishing it.

Thanks for your help so far, i'am a step closer to my dreamsetup. :)

HAND

@ 2006-02-21 21:34     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-02-21 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Münster wrote:
> Hello Taco,
> and what is the sense for these links? When I click on the red or green
> numbers, I get back to the first page of the publication list...

Good question. Will attempt to find an answer ...

Taco

* Re: BibTeX and \placelistoffloats questions
@ 2006-02-22  8:23   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-02-22  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fabian Doerk wrote:
> Hi Taco,
>

>>>1. BibTeX xrefs:
>>>   Is it possible to get interactive references (maybe even with
>>>   different colour than the global interaction color) from the \cite
>>>   command to the referring entry in the publicationlist working at the
>>>   moment?
>>
>>What \cite style are you using? I can probably make something work
>>quickly for all but the authoryear(s) style(s).
>
> I'am using the following setup and referring to the .bib file by \cite[key]:

I have two different solutions available:

% for the 'official version':
\def\dobibshort#1%
   {\addthisref{#1}\refsep
    \doifbibreferencefoundelse{#1}{\goto{\getvalue{@@pbs}}[#1]}{??}}

% for the beta:
\def\dobibshortref#1%
   {\addthisref{#1}\refsep
    \doifbibreferencefoundelse{#1}{\goto{\getvalue{pbds-#1}}[#1]}{??}}

Put one of these (or even both) in your environment, somewhere after
\usemodule[bib], and you should be set.

> Uhm, am i blind? Sorry, but i can't find the thread you mentioned (searched in
> the ml archives by the www.ntg.nl webfrontend). The only mail of Torge i've
> found is his reply to this thread. Btw. I can confirm his statement, we do not
> know each other (yet). ;)

Private email.

> Thanks, that worked just fine here! :) The red ones are wrong, i suppose, than
> i set the interactive color to blue (by setting the color argument). Thats why
> the rest is blue. Whats the difference of the "color" and the "contrastcolor"
> argument of \setupinteraction? Sounds semantically equal to me.

If I understand correctly, the 'contrastcolor' indicates a
nested/embedded link.

About those hyperlinks: it would normally be something like a chapter
number, and it would link back to the chapter head itself. In a
bibliography, it just points to itself, because the 'main reference'
is the item in the list. Maybe I can make a link back to the first
cited location. Would that make sense?

Cheers, Taco

* BibTeX and \placelistoffloats questions
@ 2006-02-22 13:55   ` Fabian Doerk
From: Fabian Doerk @ 2006-02-22 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Taco,

Taco wrote:

>>>What \cite style are you using? I can probably make something work
>>>quickly for all but the authoryear(s) style(s).
>>
>> I'am using the following setup and referring to the .bib file by \cite[key]:
>
>I have two different solutions available:
>
>% for the 'official version':
>\def\dobibshort#1%
>   {\addthisref{#1}\refsep
>    \doifbibreferencefoundelse{#1}{\goto{\getvalue{@@pbs}}[#1]}{??}}
>
>% for the beta:
>\def\dobibshortref#1%
>   {\addthisref{#1}\refsep
>    \doifbibreferencefoundelse{#1}{\goto{\getvalue{pbds-#1}}[#1]}{??}}
>
>Put one of these (or even both) in your environment, somewhere after
>\usemodule[bib], and you should be set.

Great! Thats exactly what i'am looking for! :) Please make this
available in the next release as option, perhaps to \setupcite? It is
quite useful for reading large documents on screen when you're able to
jump forward to the publication list and back to the referring text to
read on (the backward jump requires reader support).

>About those hyperlinks: it would normally be something like a chapter
>number, and it would link back to the chapter head itself. In a
>bibliography, it just points to itself, because the 'main reference'
>is the item in the list. Maybe I can make a link back to the first
>cited location. Would that make sense?

I'am not sure in which scenarios the reverse referencing to the first usage
makes sense. Perhaps its more useful if the bibtex entry gets an associated
list of forward references and make this list available for usage in
\setuppublicationlayout. See the following exemplary publicationlist entry:

    [KKY03]   D. Katz, K. Kompella, and D. Yeung. "RFC3630: Traffic
              Engineering (TE) Extensions to OSPF Version 2" (September,
              2003). Status: PROPOSED STANDARD.
              Source: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3630.txt
              Pages: 23, 34, 37, 61

But I haven't neither an idea of the complexity to implement it nor of the
realisability et al. What do you think of this idea? Makes it more sense to you
than the "first cited reverse reference"?

Thanks for your help Taco! :)

@ 2006-02-22 17:17     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-02-22 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/22/06, Fabian Doerk wrote:
> Taco wrote:
> >About those hyperlinks: it would normally be something like a chapter
> >number, and it would link back to the chapter head itself. In a
> >bibliography, it just points to itself, because the 'main reference'
> >is the item in the list. Maybe I can make a link back to the first
> >cited location. Would that make sense?
>
> I'am not sure in which scenarios the reverse referencing to the first usage
> makes sense. Perhaps its more useful if the bibtex entry gets an associated
> list of forward references and make this list available for usage in
> \setuppublicationlayout. See the following exemplary publicationlist entry:
>
>     [KKY03]   D. Katz, K. Kompella, and D. Yeung. "RFC3630: Traffic
>               Engineering (TE) Extensions to OSPF Version 2" (September,
>               2003). Status: PROPOSED STANDARD.
>               Source: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3630.txt
>               Pages: 23, 34, 37, 61
>
> But I haven't neither an idea of the complexity to implement it nor of the
> realisability et al. What do you think of this idea? Makes it more sense to you
> than the "first cited reverse reference"?

I didn't play with the exaples in this thread, but hyperlinks with
page numbers pointing to the exact locations of citations make a lot
of sense.

Mojca

* Re: BibTeX and \placelistoffloats questions
@ 2006-02-23 16:10     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-02-23 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Fabian Doerk wrote:
>>Put one of these (or even both) in your environment, somewhere after
>>\usemodule[bib], and you should be set.
>
> Great! Thats exactly what i'am looking for! :) Please make this
> available in the next release as option, perhaps to \setupcite? It is

Will put that in the new release as default. It is harmless when
interaction is off, and extra functionality otherwise, so a win-win
situation :-)

Cheers, taco