* updating ConTeXt to latest on openbsd-current Q #3
@ 2006-03-06 21:47 frantisek holop
From: frantisek holop @ 2006-03-06 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi there,

this (for the moment) last question is not really about the upgrade but
about context itself.  this is the problem because of which i upgraded
in the first (but not the only) place.

please consider the following minimal example:

------------%<------------------------
\starttext

\section{Pogány köszöntő}

\startlines
Nézd! dércsipte fáink megőszült
fején ül most a szél és lengő
harangú tornyok között csak
megkondúlnak a jámbor imák!

Csorgó nyálával békés borjú
lépdel még szekerünk után, de
már nem kószál szárnyas szavakkal
szájunk körül halovány ámen!

Megmosakodtunk! tornyok között,
fákon pihenő szélben és most
megőszült fák közt csókokkal tarkán
pogány szemekkel kitavaszodtunk!

A testünket nézd! együtt fakad a
rüggyel drága hús és napbadobált
csókjaink után boldog torokkal
így, istentelenül fölsikoltunk!

1930. január 11.
\stoplines

\stoptext
------------%<------------------------

here's the transcript of context:

------------%<------------------------
amaaq> texexec --pdf file

 TeXExec 5.4.3 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2005

 fixing texformat path : .:{!!/home/f/.texmf-config,!!/home/f/.texmf-var,/home/f/texmf,!!/etc/texmf,!!/var/texmf,!!/usr/local/share/texmf,!!/usr/local/share/texmf-local,!!/usr/local/share/texmf-dist}/web2c/{$engine,}{pdfetex,}
fixing engine variable : pdfetex
            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : hun
                output : pdftex
             interface : en
          current mode : none
               TeX run : 1

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.6-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)
 (/usr/local/share/texmf-local/web2c/natural.tcx)
entering extended mode
(./hun.tex

ConTeXt  ver: 2006.02.15 17:41  fmt: 2006.3.4  int: english  mes: english

language        : language en is active
<protectionstate 0>
system          : cont-new loaded
(/usr/local/share/texmf-local/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems         : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex
color           : palette rollover is available
)
system          : cont-old loaded
(/usr/local/share/texmf-local/tex/context/base/cont-old.tex
)
system          : cont-fil loaded
(/usr/local/share/texmf-local/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
)
system          : cont-sys.rme loaded
(/usr/local/share/texmf-local/tex/context/user/cont-sys.rme
(/usr/local/share/texmf-local/tex/context/base/type-exa.tex)
(/usr/local/share/texmf-local/tex/context/base/type-syn.tex)
(/usr/local/share/texmf-local/tex/context/base/type-enc.tex)
(/usr/local/share/texmf-local/tex/context/base/type-siz.tex)
(/usr/local/share/texmf-local/tex/context/base/type-map.tex)
(/usr/local/share/texmf-local/tex/context/base/type-spe.tex)
(/usr/local/share/texmf-local/tex/context/base/type-akb.tex))
bodyfont        : 12pt rm is loaded
kpathsea: Running mktextfm ec-lmr12
mktextfm: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-lmr12
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2C 7.5.4)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf ec-lmr12
! I can't find file `ec-lmr12'.
<*> ...ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-lmr12

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> ...ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-lmr12

Transcript written on mfput.log.
grep: ec-lmr12.log: No such file or directory
mktextfm: `mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input ec-lmr12' failed to make ec-lmr12.tfm.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
! Font \*12ptrmtf*=ec-lmr12 not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found.
<to be read again>
                   \relax
\xxdododefinefont ...tspec {#4}\newfontidentifier
                                                  \let \localrelativefontsiz...

\fontstrategy ...ame #1\csname #2#3#4#5\endcsname
                                                  \tryingfontfalse \fi
<inserted text> ...yle \fontalternative \fontsize
                                                  \fi \iftryingfont \fontstr...

\synchronizefont ...strategy \the \fontstrategies
                                                  \relax \fi \ifskipfontchar...
<argument> \getvalue {\@style@ \fontstyle }
                                           \edef \fontstyle {\fontstyle }\if...
l.1
    \starttext
? X
No pages of output.
Transcript written on hun.log.

           return code : 256
              run time : 6 seconds

        total run time : 6 seconds
------------%<------------------------

some gurus will kill me now, because this is (for me) a simple
missfont.log case, but the truth is, that no other macro packages are
missing any fonts at all.  i must also add, that i did a

amaaq> sudo updmap --enable Map lm.map

before that, my accented letters were simply ingored out from the
output, and if i changed to a well known font (charter) per
instructions, i got a missing font again.

-f
--
and the reset button lets you re-run autoexec.bat

* Re: updating ConTeXt to latest on openbsd-current Q #3
@ 2006-03-06 22:04 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-03-06 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

frantisek holop wrote:

> please consider the following minimal example:

Hi again (example snipped)!

> ! Font \*12ptrmtf*=ec-lmr12 not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not found.

This is one of the latin modern fonts. ConTeXt depends on the latin
modern package, and will not run without errors if latin modern is
not installed.

Cheers, Taco

* Re: updating ConTeXt to latest on openbsd-current Q #3
@ 2006-03-06 22:50   ` frantisek holop
From: frantisek holop @ 2006-03-06 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

hmm, on Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 11:04:25PM +0100, Taco Hoekwater said that
> This is one of the latin modern fonts. ConTeXt depends on the latin
> modern package, and will not run without errors if latin modern is
> not installed.

thanks for the all the answers...

this all could be in the wiki thought, would save you/me mining the
archives :)  so i'll shamefully steal and put this info into the
openbsd upgrade page i just started :)

ok, seems like my last problem is about the fonts.  i must say the
wiki gets a bit controversial here:

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TeTeX_3.0_installation says:

Install a Latin Modern font update

The Latin Modern fonts are still in development, so teTeX has a hard
time catching up. To get a stable system, you have to manually download
the [Latin Modern distribution] from ctan and install the package
according to the[instructions in the FAQ].

The ConTeXt-specific support files are included in Cont-tmf.zip, so it
is just a matter of installing the actual font files.

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Cont-lmt.zip says:

This was the Latin Modern release from CTAN, repackaged for an easier
download.

It has disappeared since Context 2006.02.01

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=uselmfonts says:

<snip>
Note that teTeX distributions, from version 3.0, already have the lm
fonts: all you need do is use them.

according to the wiki, i don't need cont-lmt.zip anymore.

according to the tex faq i already have them.

what now?   i downloaded the lm.tgz package, compared files, and
clearly, teTeX 3.0 files are old-old-old.

so i copied over the old files, run texhash, and lo and behold,
fonts are all right.

ok, the only problem i see at first glance is \"{o}
(long hungarian umlaut) is with a wave and not the proper umlaut.

could this be a problem with context's encodings?
i presume the lm fonts contain the right character...
it is certainly not that special :)

-f
--
part-time musicians are semiconductors.

* Re: updating ConTeXt to latest on openbsd-current Q #3
@ 2006-03-07  8:28     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-03-07  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi again,

frantisek holop wrote:

> ok, seems like my last problem is about the fonts.  i must say the
> wiki gets a bit controversial here:

[...]
> what now?   i downloaded the lm.tgz package, compared files, and
> clearly, teTeX 3.0 files are old-old-old.

The wiki is right, the FAQ is wrong.

> ok, the only problem i see at first glance is \"{o}
> (long hungarian umlaut) is with a wave and not the proper umlaut.

I know not (font encoding is not my best point these days).

Cheers, Taco

* Re: updating ConTeXt to latest on openbsd-current Q #3
@ 2006-03-07 10:12     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-03-07 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/6/06, frantisek holop wrote:
> ok, the only problem i see at first glance is \"{o}
> (long hungarian umlaut) is with a wave and not the proper umlaut.
>
> could this be a problem with context's encodings?
> i presume the lm fonts contain the right character...
> it is certainly not that special :)

Which one do you have in mind? \ohungarumlaut (ő) or \odiaeresis (ö)?
They both seem to work here, although you might have forgotten the
magic keyword \enableregime[utf] (or whatever encoding you might want
to use - if your favourite is not available, ask for it).

Mojca

* Re: updating ConTeXt to latest on openbsd-current Q #3
@ 2006-03-07 10:16       ` frantisek holop
From: frantisek holop @ 2006-03-07 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

hmm, on Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 11:12:18AM +0100, Mojca Miklavec said that
> On 3/6/06, frantisek holop wrote:
> > ok, the only problem i see at first glance is \"{o}
> > (long hungarian umlaut) is with a wave and not the proper umlaut.
> >
> > could this be a problem with context's encodings?
> > i presume the lm fonts contain the right character...
> > it is certainly not that special :)
>
> Which one do you have in mind? \ohungarumlaut (ő) or \odiaeresis (ö)?
> They both seem to work here, although you might have forgotten the
> magic keyword \enableregime[utf] (or whatever encoding you might want
> to use - if your favourite is not available, ask for it).

\ohungarumlaut is the one.

i don't specify any encodings, and i use vanilla latin2
(il2 in context if i am not mistaken).

should i use \enableregime[il2] ?

-f
--
the first sight of love is the last of wisdom.

* Re: updating ConTeXt to latest on openbsd-current Q #3
@ 2006-03-07 16:38         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-03-07 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/7/06, frantisek holop wrote:
> \ohungarumlaut is the one.
>
> i don't specify any encodings, and i use vanilla latin2
> (il2 in context if i am not mistaken).
>
> should i use \enableregime[il2] ?

It's called \enableregime[latin2].

Some time ago I also suggested to add some more synonyms (so that
\enableregime[il2] and \enableregime[iso-8859-2] would work as well,
but they weren't included [yet]).

Mojca