From: "Mojca Miklavec" <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Cite module: APA citation proposals
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 19:02:30 +0200	[thread overview]

On 4/4/06, Johannes Graumann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a biochemist and
> the majority of my cited sources derives from www.pubmed.org, which I
> import into BibTeX via pybliographic. I have some slight problems with the
> formating as provided by the database and was wondering whether it's
> possible to fix them ...

Have you ever tried JabRef? I find it a marvellous tool (there is some
functionality which could be added, but the current functionality is
more than satisfying for me).
You can write the article's Pubmed ID and it will import all the data
automatically (I guess that pybliographer does that as well, but in
any case - it is one of the features I like most).

> 1) Titles from PubMed always end with a '.'. Since the cite module (at least
> the version with Tetex in Debian unstable) does not check for the presence
> of a '.', but just appends one, I end up with 2 '.'s after the title when
> using a unmanipulated *.bib file. Would it be possible to include a check
> for that into the module?

Are you sure that the dot comes from PubMed? In that I case I would
call it pybliographic's problem, not Taco's problem.
Removing the trailing dot (if it's really explicitely present in the
title) is doable in TeX, but a bit complex and imagine that you had a
title where you wanted to keep the trailing dot intentionally. Besides
that you would surely want to remove that dot on other places as well,
not only under "References".

Why don't you simply open the resulting bib file in a good text editor
and delete the trailing dots in titles with a single regular
expression? If you don't know how to do that in less than 10 seconds,
write me off-list (and include the .bib file).

I never had any problems with dots in PubMed's articles. However
there's often an additional dot if some data is missing. That can be
regulated with style. Sometimes the default behaviour is to write down
a dot even if some bib field is empty. You can fix that with adjusting
 \setuppublicationlayout. See bibl-apa.tex or the documentation.
(That's what Taco already suggested.)

Mojca

PS: I noticed that some updates are being made about the modules, but
the following sites
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Bibliography
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/User:Taco/Bib
http://modules.contextgarden.net/bib (wrong link to the documentation)
[content of] http://tex.aanhet.net/bib/
seem a bit unsyncronized (and not enough "interlinked"). "dl" was the
only place where I managed to find the documentation.
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Bibliography should perhaps include all
the relevant links including documentation. Should the latest module
version point on "aanhet" or on the "modules" section?