From: "Mojca Miklavec" <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: how to let context suppose chinese via utf-8 ?
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 14:59:21 +0200	[thread overview]

> 盛劲松 wrote:
> Hi, evergyone
>     I found a instruction in context wiki (http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Chinese)
>
>  in this page , it says:
>
> If you have Context 2005.12.19, you only have to get the fonts.

Must be understood as: [Someone has forgotten to delete this note.] If
your ConTeXt is older than a month don't even try to ask questions
about why something doesn't work ;)

> 1.You need some Chinese (TrueType) fonts; you may want to get FangSong, HeiTi, KaiTi and SongTi. Put those e.g. into  $TEXMF/fonts/truetype/chinese/.

> 3.You may now need to update the hash TeX uses to find the files; using teTeX this is done by running texhash.

(often called) mktexlsr

> 4.How you can run your Hello World program:
>
> could anyone be kindly to offer me a list of detail instructions about how to do?
>
> thank you!

I don't know anything about Chineese, but which platform and which
distribution are you using? Because it might be far easier to get
Chineese working with XeTeX than with pdfTeX. In that case you don't
need dozens of those (soon-to-become-obsolete) .map, .tfm and .enc
files. (and you don't need that ruby script)

XeTeX is runnung on Mac OS X for quite some time now, on Linux since
end of April and on Windows for some days or weeks (not officially
released yet).

If you have Mac you can use i-Installer for installing XeTeX, on Linux
it might be easiest to use linuxtex.zip and justtex.zip from
pragma-ade.com. If you're on Windows I can send you some instructions
how to install it (you basically only need to copy binaries and
configuration files from xetex-w32.tar.bz to the proper place in the
TeX tree), but I guess that XeTeX could (will?) be included in the
standalone ConTeXt distribution without much trouble.

In that case the whole story reduces to installing the fonts to your
system (you probably already have them installed) and:

    texexec --xtx --make --all
    fc-cache -v -f

and the Hello-world example being just something like

% typescripts should be used here, but for hello-world this should suffice
\font\MyFont="Arial Unicode MS" % or name of some other font that you
want to use
\MyFont

\starttext
your-chineese-text