* Russian hyphenation how to use?
@ 2006-07-23 12:57 Arkady Shraer
From: Arkady Shraer @ 2006-07-23 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Recently, I made lang-ru.hyp and lang-ru.pat files from TeX's ruhyphal.tex .
I read Hans' "Hyphenation patterns" and didn't understand how to use
my patterns to enable hyphenation (btw, in manual used key --patterns
but in current ctxtools used --patternfiles)

What I've done:
1. Created lang-ru.hyp (UTF-8) and lang-ru.pat (UTF-8) from TeX's
ruhyphal.tex by hands (ctxtools generated patterns, but russian and
ukrainian didn't)
2. Copied files to directory with other languages' patterns
3. texexec --make --all (get an error while compiling lang-cyr.tex
..... undefined sequence)
4. in tex file used \language[ru]
5. Still don't have my text hyphenated.

What I do wrong? Should I upgrade my ConTeXt to recent version?

* Re: Russian hyphenation how to use?
@ 2006-07-23 15:00 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-07-23 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/23/06, Arkady Shraer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently, I made lang-ru.hyp and lang-ru.pat files from TeX's ruhyphal.tex .
> I read Hans' "Hyphenation patterns" and didn't understand how to use
> my patterns to enable hyphenation (btw, in manual used key --patterns
> but in current ctxtools used --patternfiles)
>
> What I've done:
> 1. Created lang-ru.hyp (UTF-8) and lang-ru.pat (UTF-8) from TeX's
> ruhyphal.tex by hands (ctxtools generated patterns, but russian and
> ukrainian didn't)
> 2. Copied files to directory with other languages' patterns
> 3. texexec --make --all (get an error while compiling lang-cyr.tex
> ..... undefined sequence)

Which one was undefined?

> 4. in tex file used \language[ru]
> 5. Still don't have my text hyphenated.

copy cont-usr.ori into cont-usr.tex and uncomment the line
% \installlanguage [\s!ru] [\c!state=\v!start] % russian

> What I do wrong? Should I upgrade my ConTeXt to recent version?

The version may not be more than 2 months old (so yes, take that as
"it has to be the latest one").

(Try "ctxtools --update". If that one doesn't work your version
probably is too old. Download cont-tmf.zip, unzip and replace the old
files and do texexec --make --all.)

Mojca

* Re: Russian hyphenation how to use?
@ 2006-07-23 16:45   ` Arkady Shraer
From: Arkady Shraer @ 2006-07-23 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I spent some time and decided to start from the beginning:
1. I deleted all old ConTeXt files from my tetex distribution.
2. Unzipped recent cont-tmf into texmf-local analog in my system.
3. Unzipped recent font metrics to appropriate folder
4. texexec --make --all   runs perfectly
5. texexec --make --language=ru  runs without errors
6. When I try to texexec --pdf --language=ru <anyfile.tex>
I get errors, e.g. font metrics ec-lmr12 can't be found.... etc...(I
can attach full log and source file)

So I can't compile any tex file with ConTeXt even in English. Maybe
I'm just unlucky :)

@ 2006-07-24  0:40     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-07-24  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/23/06, Arkady Shraer wrote:
> I spent some time and decided to start from the beginning:
> 1. I deleted all old ConTeXt files from my tetex distribution.
> 2. Unzipped recent cont-tmf into texmf-local analog in my system.
> 3. Unzipped recent font metrics to appropriate folder
> 4. texexec --make --all   runs perfectly
> 5. texexec --make --language=ru  runs without errors
> 6. When I try to texexec --pdf --language=ru <anyfile.tex>
> I get errors, e.g. font metrics ec-lmr12 can't be found.... etc...(I
> can attach full log and source file)

If you can't compile english documents, the source wouldn't help much,
but the full log in attachment might.

This might have nothing to do with your problem, but it might be
sensible to try to use texmfstart texexec.rb instead of the old perl
script.

You need to create an executable "texmfstart" (in the bin folder of
course) with content
    ruby path-to-context-ruby-scripts/texmfstart.rb,
and add the content of [texmf]/scripts/context/stubs/unix
to some place in PATH

Please ask if you have more questions about it (I'm a bit too short & cryptic).

Mojca