* Font's in Gerben Wierda's TeX distribution and ConTeXt
@ 2006-08-24  5:02 Pepe Barbe
From: Pepe Barbe @ 2006-08-24  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am using GW's TeX distribution with ConTeXt. I am interested in
using a different font other than Computer Modern. This distribution
seems to come with a ton of fonts (More than I need at least). Using
the basic ConTeXt provisions to access the fonts I am able to access
some fonts successfully (Like Palatino or Euler) and some
unsuccsessfully (Like Optima, Iwona or Kurier).

Ex:
Works:
\definetypeface [MyFace] [rm] [serif] [palatino] [default] [encoding=ec]

Does not work:
\definetypeface [MyFace] [ss] [sans] [iwona] [default] [encoding=ec]

I realize this might be a very basic question but: What's going on? :-)

I would appreciate if anyone could at least point me in the direction
of some documentation that would explain why these fonts work/don't
work.

Thank you,
Pepe

* Re: Font's in Gerben Wierda's TeX distribution and ConTeXt
@ 2006-08-24  5:11 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-08-24  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, Pepe Barbe wrote:

> I am using GW's TeX distribution with ConTeXt. I am interested in
> using a different font other than Computer Modern. This distribution
> seems to come with a ton of fonts (More than I need at least). Using
> the basic ConTeXt provisions to access the fonts I am able to access
> some fonts successfully (Like Palatino or Euler) and some
> unsuccsessfully (Like Optima, Iwona or Kurier).
>
> Ex:
> Works:
> \definetypeface [MyFace] [rm] [serif] [palatino] [default] [encoding=ec]
>
> Does not work:
> \definetypeface [MyFace] [ss] [sans] [iwona] [default] [encoding=ec]

Did you do \setupbodyfont[MyFace,ss] (note the ss)?

> I realize this might be a very basic question but: What's going on? :-)
>
> I would appreciate if anyone could at least point me in the direction
> of some documentation that would explain why these fonts work/don't
> work.

Have a look at showfonts.pdf for examples of how to use the common tex
fonts with Context. mfonts.pdf is the "font manual" and explains all
the bells and whistles of using fonts in context.

Aditya

* Re: Font's in Gerben Wierda's TeX distribution and ConTeXt
@ 2006-08-24  5:29   ` Pepe Barbe
From: Pepe Barbe @ 2006-08-24  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/24/06, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> Did you do \setupbodyfont[MyFace,ss] (note the ss)?

Yes.

> Have a look at showfonts.pdf for examples of how to use the common tex
> fonts with Context. mfonts.pdf is the "font manual" and explains all
> the bells and whistles of using fonts in context.

I am following the examples in those two manuals, but the results have
been mixed. Some fonts work just as described, while other just don't.

@ 2006-08-24 11:56 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-08-24 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8/24/06, Pepe Barbe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using GW's TeX distribution with ConTeXt. I am interested in
> using a different font other than Computer Modern. This distribution
> seems to come with a ton of fonts (More than I need at least). Using
> the basic ConTeXt provisions to access the fonts I am able to access
> some fonts successfully (Like Palatino or Euler) and some
> unsuccsessfully (Like Optima, Iwona or Kurier).
>
> Ex:
> Works:
> \definetypeface [MyFace] [rm] [serif] [palatino] [default] [encoding=ec]
>
> Does not work:
> \definetypeface [MyFace] [ss] [sans] [iwona] [default] [encoding=ec]

Both
    \definetypeface [MyFace] [ss] [sans] [iwona] [default] [encoding=ec]
    \setupbodyfont[MyFace,ss]
and
    \usetpescript[iwona][ec]
    \setupbodyfont[iwona,ss]
should work (ss, as already Aditya said, is important to add).

You can try two things:
- unzip fonts from http://www.nowacki.strefa.pl/kurier.html to your
TeX tree and run
    [sudo] mktexlsr or texhash (I don't know which one should be on your system)
- try if your example works on http://live.contextgarden.net

At least iwona should work there properly; if you want to try some
other free fonts, say which ones you need.

Mojca