* bug?: interaction between columns and background
@ 2006-09-01  7:42 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-09-01  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

When I place a graphic in the bacground and switch columns on, the
background gets shifted for some reason.

I hope that the problem will be evident from this example (since it
behaves in a pretty random way - sometimes it's OK and sometimes it's
pretty much shifted to the left).

(Using ConTeXt version 2006.08.30 9:28)

\startuseMPgraphic{TitleGraphic}
draw unitsquare xyscaled (\overlaywidth-5mm,\overlayheight-5mm);
\stopuseMPgraphic

\defineoverlay [TitleGraphic] [\useMPgraphic{TitleGraphic}]
\setupbackgrounds[page][background={TitleGraphic,page}]

\starttext

\startcolumns[n=3]
\dorecurse{3}{\input tufte $$a^2+b^2=c^2$$}
\stopcolumns

\stoptext

Thank you,
    Mojca

* Re: bug?: interaction between columns and background
@ 2006-09-01  9:04 ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2006-09-01  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Mojca,

try the new beta (should work)...

@ 2006-09-01 10:43   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-09-01 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/1/06, Peter Rolf wrote:
> Hi Mojca,
>
> try the new beta (should work)...

I'm sorry, I downloaded the beta a few hours too early :(

I tried it on ConTeXtgarden as well and the problem remained (the
installed beta was too old there as well). So it's definitely
Patrick's fault! ;))

Yes, the problem is solved by now. The behaviour was a bit random
before that, so I hope that it won't pop up again ;)

Thanks for letting me know about that,
    Mojca

@ 2006-09-29  8:54     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2006-09-29  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> I tried it on ConTeXtgarden as well and the problem remained (the
> installed beta was too old there as well). So it's definitely
> Patrick's fault! ;))

If you want, I can run the 'installcontext' script more often
(currently i check for a new ConTeXt version only once a day).

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki and more: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: bug?: interaction between columns and background
@ 2006-09-29 14:03       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-09-29 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> I tried it on ConTeXtgarden as well and the problem remained (the
>> installed beta was too old there as well). So it's definitely
>> Patrick's fault! ;))
>>

> If you want, I can run the 'installcontext' script more often
> (currently i check for a new ConTeXt version only once a day).

normally thats enough buth currently we have more betas due to a reimplementation of the figure analysis macros and mp to pdf converter

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-09-29 16:12         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-09-29 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/29/06, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> >> I tried it on ConTeXtgarden as well and the problem remained (the
> >> installed beta was too old there as well). So it's definitely
> >> Patrick's fault! ;))
> >>

> > If you want, I can run the 'installcontext' script more often
> > (currently i check for a new ConTeXt version only once a day).
> >
> normally thats enough buth currently we have more betas due to a reimplementation of the figure analysis macros and mp to pdf converter
>
> Hans

Hey! Wait a minute! I was hoping that you would understand that it was
only a joke (didn't it sound ironic enough?). It is definitely *NOT*
Patrick's fault, but I needed some sort of excuse ;)

I don't belive that running installation script more often that once
per day is needed. Betas are something special anyway, it might mean
that something is broken there anyway. So if it is slightly more or
slightly less broken it doesn't make that much difference, really.
(And in any case you loose some intermediate versions released on the
same day, unless you restructure all the folders - I doubt that it is
worth it.)

Mojca

PS for Patrick: I take my word back that you should have a filter for
your name activated in the inbox. If I meant it seriously, I would
send CC to you ;)

* Re: bug?: interaction between columns and background
@ 2006-09-30 11:31           ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2006-09-30 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

[ConTeXt on contextgarden.net]

> Hey! Wait a minute! I was hoping that you would understand that it was
> only a joke (didn't it sound ironic enough?). It is definitely *NOT*
> Patrick's fault, but I needed some sort of excuse ;)

I did take it as a joke, but seriously: if any user of the live
ConTeXt would like to see some changes, please tell me. I know that
running the installer more often is nothing major, but just in case
anybody misses a special feature... I can't promise that it would be
done right away, but I'd write it down and implement it when I find
some time.

Patrick
--

@ 2006-10-02  9:13             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-10-02  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> [ConTeXt on contextgarden.net]
>

>> Hey! Wait a minute! I was hoping that you would understand that it was
>> only a joke (didn't it sound ironic enough?). It is definitely *NOT*
>> Patrick's fault, but I needed some sort of excuse ;)
>>

> I did take it as a joke, but seriously: if any user of the live
> ConTeXt would like to see some changes, please tell me. I know that
> running the installer more often is nothing major, but just in case
> anybody misses a special feature... I can't promise that it would be
> done right away, but I'd write it down and implement it when I find
> some time.

is it possible to install current as well as the beta and let users choose via a radio button?

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-10-04 19:14               ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2006-10-04 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

>> I did take it as a joke, but seriously: if any user of the live
>> ConTeXt would like to see some changes, please tell me. I know that
>> running the installer more often is nothing major, but just in case
>> anybody misses a special feature... I can't promise that it would be
>> done right away, but I'd write it down and implement it when I find
>> some time.
>>
> is it possible to install current as well as the beta and let users choose via a radio button?

I don't distinguish between stable and beta. I always install the
latest, but I could implement a menu/button that chooses the installed
version.

Patrick
--

@ 2006-10-04 23:49                 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2006-10-04 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> Hi,
>
>>> I did take it as a joke, but seriously: if any user of the live
>>> ConTeXt would like to see some changes, please tell me. I know that
>>> running the installer more often is nothing major, but just in case
>>> anybody misses a special feature... I can't promise that it would be
>>> done right away, but I'd write it down and implement it when I find
>>> some time.
>>>
>> is it possible to install current as well as the beta and let users choose via a radio button?
>
> I don't distinguish between stable and beta. I always install the
> latest, but I could implement a menu/button that chooses the installed
> version.

Hans, can ctxtools be modified to give the option of downloading both
the stable and latest branch? --updatecontext gives the beta which,
being a beta, has occasional bugs. So this method of updating context
can not be recommended to new users. How about adding

ctxtools --updatecontext --stable to give the stable branch, or
instead make fetching the stable branch default and give --beta to
download the beta. Maybe even extract everything with --beta to
TEXMFBETA folder so that maintaining beta and stable in parallel is
seamless. Right now there is texexec --beta for running the beta, but
then you have to maintain the beta tree manually.

Aditya

* Re: bug?: interaction between columns and background
@ 2006-10-05 16:38                   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-10-05 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/5/06, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> Hans, can ctxtools be modified to give the option of downloading both
> the stable and latest branch? --updatecontext gives the beta which,
> being a beta, has occasional bugs. So this method of updating context
> can not be recommended to new users. How about adding
>
> ctxtools --updatecontext --stable to give the stable branch, or
> instead make fetching the stable branch default and give --beta to
> download the beta. Maybe even extract everything with --beta to
> TEXMFBETA folder so that maintaining beta and stable in parallel is
> seamless. Right now there is texexec --beta for running the beta, but
> then you have to maintain the beta tree manually.

I would support all that you said (separate tree for beta, --update --beta, ...)

Well, the very first bad experience that I had on other computers when
trying to update ConTeXt with "--update": (un)zip as a command-line
executable is usually missing on just any windows computer, so newbies
have to overcome that one first :(

@ 2006-10-06  6:30                   ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2006-10-06  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Maybe even extract everything with --beta to TEXMFBETA folder so
> that maintaining beta and stable in parallel is seamless.

I like that.  But how do you deal with the format files (made by
texexec --make)?  texexec puts them in ~/.texmf-config or ~/.texmf-var
(first element of TEXFORMATS from texmf.cnf).  So the beta and the
stable formats will fight with each other.

-Sanjoy

`Never underestimate the evil of which men of power are capable.'
         --Bertrand Russell, _War Crimes in Vietnam_, chapter 1.

* Re: bug?: interaction between columns and background
@ 2006-10-06  9:56                     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-10-06  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
>> Maybe even extract everything with --beta to TEXMFBETA folder so
>> that maintaining beta and stable in parallel is seamless.
>>

> I like that.  But how do you deal with the format files (made by
> texexec --make)?  texexec puts them in ~/.texmf-config or ~/.texmf-var
> (first element of TEXFORMATS from texmf.cnf).  So the beta and the

hm, i can imagine some texmf-var-beta trickery

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-10-06 10:01                     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-10-06 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On 10/5/06, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>

>> Hans, can ctxtools be modified to give the option of downloading both
>> the stable and latest branch? --updatecontext gives the beta which,
>> being a beta, has occasional bugs. So this method of updating context
>> can not be recommended to new users. How about adding
>>
>> ctxtools --updatecontext --stable to give the stable branch, or
>> instead make fetching the stable branch default and give --beta to
>> download the beta. Maybe even extract everything with --beta to
>> TEXMFBETA folder so that maintaining beta and stable in parallel is
>> seamless. Right now there is texexec --beta for running the beta, but
>> then you have to maintain the beta tree manually.
>>

> I would support all that you said (separate tree for beta, --update --beta, ...)
>
> Well, the very first bad experience that I had on other computers when
> trying to update ConTeXt with "--update": (un)zip as a command-line
> executable is usually missing on just any windows computer, so newbies
> have to overcome that one first :(

some day we will have:

TEXMFLOCAL=zip::c:/mytex/cont-tmf.zip

Hans