* ConTeXt update deletes user files?
@ 2006-12-10 22:16 Oliver Buerschaper
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Oliver Buerschaper @ 2006-12-10 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

after updating to the latest ConTeXt release (via i-Installer on my
Mac) all my custom files are gone! I put them in .../texmf.local/tex/
context/user/ and now there is emptiness :-( The installer shouldn't
touch those files, right?

Is there a way to recover them? I'm a newbie to ConTeXt so it took me
ages to collect all the info necessary to assemble a little module
that provides theorem-like environments ... and I need this so bad!

Oliver

* Re: ConTeXt update deletes user files?
@ 2006-12-11  9:11 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2006-12-11  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Oliver,

Oliver Buerschaper wrote:
> Hello,
>
> after updating to the latest ConTeXt release (via i-Installer on my
> Mac) all my custom files are gone! I put them in .../texmf.local/tex/
> context/user/ and now there is emptiness :-( The installer shouldn't
> touch those files, right?
>
> Is there a way to recover them? I'm a newbie to ConTeXt so it took me
> ages to collect all the info necessary to assemble a little module
> that provides theorem-like environments ... and I need this so bad!

I am afraid you should ask this question on the Mac Os TeX mailing list
(i know there is one, just don't know the address).

Good luck, Taco

* Re: ConTeXt update deletes user files?
@ 2006-12-11  9:14 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-12-11  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oliver Buerschaper wrote:
> Hello,
>
> after updating to the latest ConTeXt release (via i-Installer on my
> Mac) all my custom files are gone! I put them in .../texmf.local/tex/
> context/user/ and now there is emptiness :-( The installer shouldn't
> touch those files, right?

right, the user patsh should never be touched by installers
> Is there a way to recover them? I'm a newbie to ConTeXt so it took me
> ages to collect all the info necessary to assemble a little module
> that provides theorem-like environments ... and I need this so bad!

an option is to make a texmf-project tree and put your files there (and
add that tree to the TEXMF env var)

Hans

* Re: ConTeXt update deletes user files?
@ 2006-12-11 10:13   ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2006-12-11 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.12.2006 um 10:11 schrieb Taco Hoekwater:

> I am afraid you should ask this question on the Mac Os TeX mailing
> list
> (i know there is one, just don't know the address).

Subscribe at Mac-TeX Website: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

and post to MacOSX-TeX@email.esm.psu.edu

Yours,

Steffen

* Re: ConTeXt update deletes user files?
@ 2006-12-13 16:33 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2006-12-13 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/10/06, Oliver Buerschaper wrote:
> Hello,
>
> after updating to the latest ConTeXt release (via i-Installer on my
> Mac) all my custom files are gone! I put them in .../texmf.local/tex/
> context/user/ and now there is emptiness :-( The installer shouldn't
> touch those files, right?

As already suggested, contact the mac mailing list. For the next time
you can place your files anywhere on the disk, for example to
/your/home/mytexmf/tex/context/user/
and then edit texmf.cnf by adding

MYTEXMF = /your/home/mytexmf/tex/context/user/

and adit TEXMF and TEXMFDBS according to the pattern you see there.
Run mktexlsr afterwards (I guess that if you update, you'll have to
repeat that process anyway, but at least you won't loose the files any
more).

An advantage in that approach is that you can also use the same files
under more than one operating system.

> Is there a way to recover them?

Did you take a look into .Trash in your home folder? If you had some
luck that's probably the only way to find it without hacking (using
special programs to recover deleted files from disk) ...

Mojca