From: "Mojca Miklavec" <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: shading with stitching functions
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 17:43:41 +0100	[thread overview]

On 12/27/06, Peter Rolf wrote:
> Hi Mojca,
>
> this is also on my wishlist (and christmas is over). Currently I use
> several color gradients in a row, to simulate the same effect. But sadly
> this way is too viewer dependent (rendering is a matter of luck with
> every new version), not to mention the big size. So if there would be a
> cleaner solution, I would be a happy man.
>
> I'm willing to help, but I haven't looked into specials yet. Give me
> some time for reading and some more time for understanding... ;)

With Hans's hint I finally got some kind of result. However, the
numbers in the stream seem to influence the colors, but not in the way
I want them to. I have to do some further explorations. Does anyone
know how to convert PS to PDF without compression?

Btw: TikZ supports such shadings, so if you don't necessary need a
metapost graphic, you can take a look at it as well. Here's an example
from the manual:

\usemodule[tikz]
\starttext
\pgfdeclarehorizontalshading{myshadingA}
{1cm}{rgb(0cm)=(1,0,0); color(2cm)=(green); color(4cm)=(blue)}
\pgfuseshading{myshadingA}
\stoptext

(I've just found out that it uses another aproach for "sampled
functions", perhaps I'll have more chances to figure out how to
implement it that way.)

Mojca