* Easy insertion of Unicode symbols?
@ 2006-12-31 14:59 cormullion
From: cormullion @ 2006-12-31 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I need to insert a few Unicode symbols...(Just the symbols for the
solar system planets)... Is this going to be easy - doable inside
ConTeXt with a few preparatory mystic runes, or will it require
running scripts, moving files around, etc...?

The wiki suggests:

Use \enableregime[utf] in order to be able to typeset in unicode
under ConTeXt.

But is it as simple as it looks?

* Re: Easy insertion of Unicode symbols?
@ 2007-01-02 22:00 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2007-01-02 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2006-12-31 um 15:59 schrieb cormullion@mac.com:

> I need to insert a few Unicode symbols...(Just the symbols for the
> solar system planets)... Is this going to be easy - doable inside
> ConTeXt with a few preparatory mystic runes, or will it require
> running scripts, moving files around, etc...?
>
> The wiki suggests:
>
> Use \enableregime[utf] in order to be able to typeset in unicode
> under ConTeXt.
>
> But is it as simple as it looks?

Have a deeper look at the wiki:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Symbols
http://homepage.mac.com/atl/tex/
http://source.contextgarden.net/symb-uni.tex

Of course you need the fonts containing the symbols in place...

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://contextgarden.net
http://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Easy insertion of Unicode symbols?
@ 2007-01-03 17:26   ` cormullion
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: cormullion @ 2007-01-03 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2007-01-02, at 22:00.0, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> Am 2006-12-31 um 15:59 schrieb cormullion@mac.com:
>
>> I need to insert a few Unicode symbols...(Just the symbols for the
>> solar system planets)... Is this going to be easy - doable inside
>> ConTeXt with a few preparatory mystic runes, or will it require
>> running scripts, moving files around, etc...?
>>
>> The wiki suggests:
>>
>> Use \enableregime[utf] in order to be able to typeset in unicode
>> under ConTeXt.
>>
>> But is it as simple as it looks?
>
> Have a deeper look at the wiki:
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Symbols
> http://homepage.mac.com/atl/tex/
> http://source.contextgarden.net/symb-uni.tex
>
> Of course you need the fonts containing the symbols in place...

Thanks! I'm looking for a level 1 solution (ie one that doesn't
require me to go into the Terminal and start typing commands and
moving files). Adam's document was interesting but looked a bit too
daunting - a level 2 solution. Nothing wrong with that, just that
I've got to find the time and skill to do it.

The symbol set reference was great - the planet symbols are
accessible in:

\usesymbols[mvs]
\showsymbolset[astronomic]

so I may not have to go to a unicode-font at all.

I just wish there was some way of accessing all the standard fonts
and symbols that are already a few millimetres away on the hard
disk... :-)

thanks again!

* Re: Easy insertion of Unicode symbols?
@ 2007-01-03 19:08     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-01-03 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

cormullion@mac.com wrote:
> On 2007-01-02, at 22:00.0, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>

>> Am 2006-12-31 um 15:59 schrieb cormullion@mac.com:
>>

>>> I need to insert a few Unicode symbols...(Just the symbols for the
>>> solar system planets)... Is this going to be easy - doable inside
>>> ConTeXt with a few preparatory mystic runes, or will it require
>>> running scripts, moving files around, etc...?
>>>
>>> The wiki suggests:
>>>
>>> Use \enableregime[utf] in order to be able to typeset in unicode
>>> under ConTeXt.
>>>
>>> But is it as simple as it looks?
>>>
>> Have a deeper look at the wiki:
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Symbols
>> http://homepage.mac.com/atl/tex/
>> http://source.contextgarden.net/symb-uni.tex
>>
>> Of course you need the fonts containing the symbols in place...
>>

> Thanks! I'm looking for a level 1 solution (ie one that doesn't
> require me to go into the Terminal and start typing commands and
> moving files). Adam's document was interesting but looked a bit too
> daunting - a level 2 solution. Nothing wrong with that, just that
> I've got to find the time and skill to do it.
>
> The symbol set reference was great - the planet symbols are
> accessible in:
>
> \usesymbols[mvs]
> \showsymbolset[astronomic]
>
> so I may not have to go to a unicode-font at all.
>
> I just wish there was some way of accessing all the standard fonts
> and symbols that are already a few millimetres away on the hard
> disk... :-)

later this year when we go to native open type with on the fly font
composition, fallback etc etc etc

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2007-01-03 19:34     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-01-03 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/3/07, cormullion@mac.com wrote:
> so I may not have to go to a unicode-font at all.
>
> I just wish there was some way of accessing all the standard fonts
> and symbols that are already a few millimetres away on the hard
> disk... :-)
>
> thanks again!

Do you want to say that you would like to use an existing font on your
system for those symbols? What about using XeTeX?

The following example is not very ConTeXt-ish, but it should work (if
you got the unicode glyph right):

\font\astro='name of your font with astro symbols or unicode font'
\def\neptune{{\astro ♆}}

\starttext
\neptune
\stoptext

Mojca

* Re: Easy insertion of Unicode symbols?
@ 2007-01-03 20:01     ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2007-01-03 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The symbol set reference was great - the planet symbols are
> accessible in:
>
> \usesymbols[mvs]
> \showsymbolset[astronomic]
>
> so I may not have to go to a unicode-font at all.

The symbol set "was" (Roland Waldi's symbols AKA wasysym) contains
even more astronomic symbols; check which fit your needs better.
"was" wasn't mentioned on the symbols page until now, but comes with
the distribution.

@ 2007-01-03 21:25       ` cormullion
From: cormullion @ 2007-01-03 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2007-01-03, at 20:01.0, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

>> The symbol set reference was great - the planet symbols are
>> accessible in:
>>
>> \usesymbols[mvs]
>> \showsymbolset[astronomic]
>>
>> so I may not have to go to a unicode-font at all.
>
> The symbol set "was" (Roland Waldi's symbols AKA wasysym) contains
> even more astronomic symbols; check which fit your needs better.
> "was" wasn't mentioned on the symbols page until now, but comes with
> the distribution.

Thanks. I'll try to get this working too!

It will be something like this, i expect:

\usesymbols[was]
\showsymbolset[astronomy]

only this doesn't work... :-)

I really appreciate the help of you guys - steep learning curves
etc ..... !

* Re: Easy insertion of Unicode symbols?
@ 2007-01-03 21:36         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-01-03 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/3/07, cormullion@mac.com <cormullion@mac.com> wrote:
> On 2007-01-03, at 20:01.0, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>
> > The symbol set "was" (Roland Waldi's symbols AKA wasysym) contains
> > even more astronomic symbols; check which fit your needs better.
> > "was" wasn't mentioned on the symbols page until now, but comes with
> > the distribution.
>
> Thanks. I'll try to get this working too!
>
> It will be something like this, i expect:
>
> \usesymbols[was]
> \showsymbolset[astronomy]
>
> only this doesn't work... :-)

Take a look into symb-was.tex.

It's \showsymbolset[wasy astronomy].

Mojca

* Re: Easy insertion of Unicode symbols?
@ 2007-01-04  9:28       ` cormullion
From: cormullion @ 2007-01-04  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks - with all your help I can now do this. For the record:

\starttext

To insert the symbol for the planet Jupiter.

using Martin Vogels Symbole font:

\usesymbols[mvs]
\setupsymbolset[astronomic]
\symbol[Jupiter]

using Roland Waldi Symbole font:

\usesymbols[was]
\setupsymbolset [wasy astronomy]
\symbol[jupiter]

\stoptext

so I can get this bit finished...

> The following example is not very ConTeXt-ish, but it should work (if
> you got the unicode glyph right):
>
> \font\astro='name of your font with astro symbols or unicode font'
> \def\neptune{{\astro ♆}}
>
> \starttext
> \neptune
> \stoptext

Thanks - these will need the font metrics file installed, though (I
think). A project for the future... :-)

* Re: Easy insertion of Unicode symbols?
@ 2007-01-04 19:42         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-01-04 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/4/07, cormullion@mac.com wrote:
> > The following example is not very ConTeXt-ish, but it should work (if
> > you got the unicode glyph right):
> >
> > \font\astro='name of your font with astro symbols or unicode font'
> > \def\neptune{{\astro ♆}}
> >
> > \starttext
> > \neptune
> > \stoptext
>

> Thanks - these will need the font metrics file installed

No, you don't need them. XeTeX can work with any OpenType font
installed on your system.

Mojca

* Re: Easy insertion of Unicode symbols?
@ 2007-01-04 21:08           ` cormullion
From: cormullion @ 2007-01-04 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2007-01-04, at 19:42.0, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On 1/4/07, cormullion@mac.com wrote:
>>> The following example is not very ConTeXt-ish, but it should work
>>> (if
>>> you got the unicode glyph right):
>>>
>>> \font\astro='name of your font with astro symbols or unicode font'
>>> \def\neptune{{\astro ♆}}
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>> \neptune
>>> \stoptext
>>

>> Thanks - these will need the font metrics file installed
>
> No, you don't need them. XeTeX can work with any OpenType font
> installed on your system.

OK - I'll download XeTeX and give it a go.

Thanks!