* HZ and DVI
@ 2007-01-08 17:05 Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2007-01-08 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

now I see, that my problem with HZ is only in DVI mode, PDFs are ok.

Here my test file:

\usetypescript[serif,sans,mono][handling][highquality]
\setupalign[hanging,hz]
\usetypescript[modern-base][\defaultencoding]
\setupbodyfont[modern]
\starttext
\input tufte
\stoptext

And here the errors:

This is dvips(k) 5.96 Copyright 2005 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2007.01.08:1425' -> test.ps
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfzzz --bdpi 1200 --mag 1+240/1200 --dpi 1440 ec-lmr10+15
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for ec-lmr10+15.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
dvips: Font ec-lmr10+15 not found, characters will be left blank.
dvips: Can't open font metric file ec-lmr10+15.tfm
dvips: I will use cmr10.tfm instead, so expect bad output.
dvips: Checksum mismatch in ec-lmr10+15
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfzzz --bdpi 1200 --mag 1+240/1200 --dpi 1440 ec-lmr10+20
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for ec-lmr10+20.
dvips: Font ec-lmr10+20 not found, characters will be left blank.
dvips: Can't open font metric file ec-lmr10+20.tfm
dvips: I will use cmr10.tfm instead, so expect bad output.
dvips: Checksum mismatch in ec-lmr10+20
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfzzz --bdpi 1200 --mag 1+240/1200 --dpi 1440 ec-lmr10-10
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for ec-lmr10-10.
dvips: Font ec-lmr10-10 not found, characters will be left blank.
dvips: Can't open font metric file ec-lmr10-10.tfm
dvips: I will use cmr10.tfm instead, so expect bad output.
dvips: Checksum mismatch in ec-lmr10-10
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfzzz --bdpi 1200 --mag 1+240/1200 --dpi 1440 ec-lmr10-15
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for ec-lmr10-15.
dvips: Font ec-lmr10-15 not found, characters will be left blank.
dvips: Can't open font metric file ec-lmr10-15.tfm
dvips: I will use cmr10.tfm instead, so expect bad output.
dvips: Checksum mismatch in ec-lmr10-15
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfzzz --bdpi 1200 --mag 1+240/1200 --dpi 1440 ec-lmr10-20
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for ec-lmr10-20.
dvips: Font ec-lmr10-20 not found, characters will be left blank.
dvips: Can't open font metric file ec-lmr10-20.tfm
dvips: I will use cmr10.tfm instead, so expect bad output.
dvips: Checksum mismatch in ec-lmr10-20
<tex.pro><lm-ec.enc><texps.pro>. <lmr10.pfb>[1]
TeXExec | runtime: 11.250944

Can anybody help please?
Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: HZ and DVI
@ 2007-01-08 18:41 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-01-08 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

� wrote:
> Hello,
>
> now I see, that my problem with HZ is only in DVI mode, PDFs are ok.

hz in dvi probably forces you to create the font instances yourself as this happens automatically in pdf mode; a good time to kiss dvi goodbey

Hans

* Re: HZ and DVI
@ 2007-01-09 19:30   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2007-01-09 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Hans Hagen wrote:

> > now I see, that my problem with HZ is only in DVI mode, PDFs are ok.
> >
> hz in dvi probably forces you to create the font instances yourself as
> this happens automatically in pdf mode; a good time to kiss dvi goodbey

The only reason why I still keep asking for dvi, is the good xdvi viewer.
If there is something similar for pdf, then yes: you can drop dvi support!
Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: HZ and DVI
@ 2007-01-09 21:27     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-01-09 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

� wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Hans Hagen wrote:
>

>>> now I see, that my problem with HZ is only in DVI mode, PDFs are ok.
>>>

>> hz in dvi probably forces you to create the font instances yourself as
>> this happens automatically in pdf mode; a good time to kiss dvi goodbey
>>

> The only reason why I still keep asking for dvi, is the good xdvi viewer.
> If there is something similar for pdf, then yes: you can drop dvi support!Cheers, Peter

acrobat is rather convenient and i use it all day; i haven't touched a
dvi viewer this milenium

Hans

* Re: HZ and DVI
@ 2007-01-09 23:25       ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2007-01-09 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/1/9, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>:
> acrobat is rather convenient and i use it all day; i haven't touched a
> dvi viewer this milenium

Only when texdoc presents me with a dvi. :-)
I tend to use kpdf more than AR now; it's faster and watches files.

Best
   Martin

* Re: HZ and DVI
@ 2007-01-09 23:36         ` Arthur Reutenauer
From: Arthur Reutenauer @ 2007-01-09 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I tend to use kpdf more than AR now; it's faster and watches files.

  That's probably the biggest pain with most PDF viewers, not watching
files; at any rate it's what I miss the most now I'm using XeTeX as my
main TeX engine. What other viewers do you know watch files?

* Re: HZ and DVI
@ 2007-01-10  1:39     ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2007-01-10  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter M <pmlists@free.fr> writes:
> The only reason why I still keep asking for dvi, is the good xdvi
> viewer.

I agree. xdvi is what prompted me into trying dvi mode again (and
investigating dvipos), because of its excellent anti-aliasing.  The
only pdf viewer whose rendering quality might be comparable is the
'apparition' viewer, part of the fitz <http://ccxvii.net/apparition/>.
Not ready for prime time yet, but it has lots of potential.

> If there is something similar for pdf, then yes: you can drop dvi
> support!

Even then, you would lose source specials.  I haven't figured out a
way to do it, despite cracking open (via xpdf) the PDF reference
manual.  I thought about doing with annotations, having pdftex/ConTeXt
insert the pdf literals.  However, the annotation dictionary doesn't
have a cross-platform way of calling a script.  It has enough slots to
do it for Windows, but nowhere else.  At least, that was what I
gathered, but maybe a longer look or a shorter look by PDF experts
might give a more hopeful conclusion.

-Sanjoy

`Not all those who wander are lost.' (J.R.R. Tolkien)

* Re: HZ and DVI
@ 2007-01-10  4:39       ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2007-01-10  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:

> Peter M <pmlists@free.fr> writes:
> > If there is something similar for pdf, then yes: you can drop dvi
> > support!
>
> Even then, you would lose source specials.  I haven't figured out a
> way to do it, despite cracking open (via xpdf) the PDF reference
> manual.  I thought about doing with annotations, having pdftex/ConTeXt
> insert the pdf literals.  However, the annotation dictionary doesn't
> have a cross-platform way of calling a script.  It has enough slots to
> do it for Windows, but nowhere else.  At least, that was what I
> gathered, but maybe a longer look or a shorter look by PDF experts
> might give a more hopeful conclusion.

There is pdfsync but that is Mac only (AFAIU). In latex, I had
occasionally used vpe
(http://tug.ctan.org/cgi-bin/ctanPackageInformation.py?id=vpe). I
tried it on Windows (MikTeX) and it worked ok, but was not too useful.
The documentation claims that it also works on Unix.

Aditya

* Re: HZ and DVI
@ 2007-01-10  8:22       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-01-10  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
> Peter M <pmlists@free.fr> writes:
>
>> The only reason why I still keep asking for dvi, is the good xdvi
>> viewer.
>>

> I agree. xdvi is what prompted me into trying dvi mode again (and
> investigating dvipos), because of its excellent anti-aliasing.  The
> only pdf viewer whose rendering quality might be comparable is the
> 'apparition' viewer, part of the fitz <http://ccxvii.net/apparition/>.
> Not ready for prime time yet, but it has lots of potential.

there was a time that gs did better rendering than acrobat but that wa
slong ago; i think that acrobat's anti aliasing is ok (at least om my
high res screen)

also, the latest acrobats (esp v 8) do a pretty good job now on bitmap
fonts

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: HZ and DVI
@ 2007-01-10 18:57         ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2007-01-10 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Hans Hagen wrote:

> there was a time that gs did better rendering than acrobat but that wa
> slong ago; i think that acrobat's anti aliasing is ok (at least om my
> high res screen)
>
> also, the latest acrobats (esp v 8) do a pretty good job now on bitmap
> fonts

I'll try xpdf: I need something fast and that watches the file. Starting
acroread on my system takes often up to 15 seconds.
Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: HZ and DVI
@ 2007-01-11 20:56           ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2007-01-11 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2007-01-10 um 00:36 schrieb Arthur Reutenauer:

> What other viewers do you know watch files?

GSView and other GhostScript GUIs

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://contextgarden.net
http://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

[-- Attachment #1.2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: HZ and DVI
@ 2007-01-13  2:33           ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2007-01-13  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter M writes:
> I'll try xpdf: I need something fast and that watches the file.

xpdf is fast but it won't watch the file.  As far as I know, the only
pdf viewer that watches the file, at least on Linux, is gv
(ghostscript).  If you find another, let me know.

As you say, acroread is slow; plus it's not free software (in the free
speech sense), so I have two reasons to not use it.

One (I hope) short project that's high on my to-do list is to add file
watching to xpdf.  Maybe using inotify or dnotify, at least on linux.
The word on the street is that inotify is the better choice, but I
don't have experience with either, nor am I sure how widely available
they are on linux kernels from distributors.

@ 2007-01-13 13:23             ` Martin Schröder
From: Martin Schröder @ 2007-01-13 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/1/13, Sanjoy Mahajan <sanjoy@mrao.cam.ac.uk>:
> xpdf is fast but it won't watch the file.  As far as I know, the only
> pdf viewer that watches the file, at least on Linux, is gv
> (ghostscript).  If you find another, let me know.

As I already wrote: kpdf. Check out evince, if you are using gnome.

Best
   Martin

* Re: HZ and DVI
@ 2007-01-13 14:29             ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2007-01-13 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007, Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:

> Peter M writes:
> > I'll try xpdf: I need something fast and that watches the file.
>
> xpdf is fast but it won't watch the file.  As far as I know, the only
> pdf viewer that watches the file, at least on Linux, is gv
> (ghostscript).  If you find another, let me know.

Hello Sanjoy,
on my system, when watching the file, gv issues very often some errors
after modification of the pdf-file and that's annoying.
(Am I the only one with this problem?)

With xpdf, I can at least reopen the file by simple keystroke (R).

I'll also try kpdf.

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: HZ and DVI
@ 2007-01-13 15:29               ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2007-01-13 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> on my system, when watching the file, gv issues very often some
> errors after modification of the pdf-file and that's annoying.

Peter,

You're right.  I guessed it might be reading a half-rewritten PDF file
before the new xref table is written (at the end of the file) and
getting confused.

Alas, more systematic tests of this hypothesis refuted it.  I changed
the watch interval to 10 seconds (default is 1 second), to reduce the
odds that the PDF file was being rewritten while gv was reloading it.
Even that change didn't help.  gv still produced tons of interpreter
errors.  I guess it doesn't reread the xref table properly, or
something like that.  Whatever the cause, it's a pain.

xpdf has a -remote option, so a Makefile rule could make the pdf and
then tell xpdf to reload it, via the command line.  But I've never
managed to get -remote to work with xpdf.

So I'm back to the original plan of hacking xpdf to use inotify via
the inotify_init(2) and inotify_add_watch(2) syscalls (dnotify looks
like a pain to use).  My inotify 'hello world' programs aren't yet
working so I have a ways to go.

@ 2007-01-13 17:47               ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-01-13 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/13/07, Peter Münster wrote:

> on my system, when watching the file, gv issues very often some errors
> after modification of the pdf-file and that's annoying.
> (Am I the only one with this problem?)

You're not the only one. On windows gv is a perfect choice for
watching files created by pdfTeX. On linux I discovered a pattern:
problems apear only in every second run, so I got used to the
following procedure:
- compile
- alt-tab to gv, press OK after you get the warning
- compile again
- alt-tab to gv, works OK

not really user-friendly (and gv is ugly and inconvenient to use on
linux anyway), but at least it worked somehow ;)

What about a bug report? (I doubt that gv developers use it for
watching TeX-created PDF files, so that might have never noticed the
problem)

Mojca

* Re: HZ and DVI
@ 2007-01-13 20:37               ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2007-01-13 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> As I already wrote: kpdf. Check out evince, if you are using gnome.

Ah, just found your msg.  What if you still use twm (now almost 20
years)...Old habits die hard.  xpdf has the advantage of minimal
screen overhead and is agnostic about the window manager/Desktop.

Actually I'm not sure what a 'desktop' is, other than as the mostly
invisible top of a physical desk on which I pile papers, folders, and
books.

@ 2007-01-16  0:04                 ` Jano Kula
From: Jano Kula @ 2007-01-16  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:

> xpdf has a -remote option, so a Makefile rule could make the pdf and
> then tell xpdf to reload it, via the command line.  But I've never
> managed to get -remote to work with xpdf.

I use it that way and -remote option works for me.

You open the file with

xpdf -remote <your_server_name> <file>.pdf

<your_sever_name> is whatever you name it

When needed (e.g. *.tex file has chaned) Makefile generates PDF and
calls the server to reload it with

xpdf -reload -remote <your_server_name>

Jano

* Re: HZ and DVI
@ 2007-01-16  2:51                   ` Sanjoy Mahajan
From: Sanjoy Mahajan @ 2007-01-16  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

> xpdf -remote <your_server_name> <file>.pdf
>
> <your_sever_name> is whatever you name it
>
> When needed (e.g. *.tex file has chaned) Makefile generates PDF and
> calls the server to reload it with
>
> xpdf -reload -remote <your_server_name>

Thanks, that works!  I must have had the syntax wrong before.  Now I
tried

  xpdf -remote foo notes.pdf &

And then both these worked:

  xpdf -raise -remote foo
  xpdf -reload -remote foo

In practice (for Makefiles) I'll combine them into

    xpdf -reload -raise -remote foo

@ 2007-03-29  7:56           ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2007-03-29  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Arthur,

(old question, but may be of interest to others)

>   That's probably the biggest pain with most PDF viewers, not watching
> files; at any rate it's what I miss the most now I'm using XeTeX as my
> main TeX engine. What other viewers do you know watch files?

on OS X:

texniscope <http://www2.ing.unipi.it/~d9615/homepage/texniscope.html>
old, but still good, and pdfview <http://pdfview.sourceforge.net/>.

Patrick

--
ConTeXt wiki and more: http://contextgarden.net

* Re: HZ and DVI
@ 2007-03-29  8:09             ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2007-03-29  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Arthur and Patrick,

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 09:56:49 +0200, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> Hi Arthur,
>
> (old question, but may be of interest to others)
>
>>   That's probably the biggest pain with most PDF viewers, not watching
>> files; at any rate it's what I miss the most now I'm using XeTeX as my
>> main TeX engine. What other viewers do you know watch files?
>
> on OS X:
>
> texniscope <http://www2.ing.unipi.it/~d9615/homepage/texniscope.html>

and (also on OSX) TeXShop of course!

I am wondering why it so rarely gets mentioned on this list - OK this is not a Mac-list.

But I hope it's not politically incorrect to mention TeXShop:
the PDF-Source switch it provides is one of the greatest deals in TeXing!!

Steffen