From: "Mojca Miklavec" <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>
To: r.ermers@hccnet.nl,
Subject: Re: new problem (context update and miktex)
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 17:45:32 +0100	[thread overview]

On 3/10/07, R. Ermers wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I still have a large problem with the newest context update which is
> incompatible with the latest MikTeX installation. Many files are not
> regularly processed anymore.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to clean up the right
> Context files and reinstall an older version?
> I prefer not to make a mess of my Miktex installation. Latex  still works.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Robert
>

> This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.6-2.2 (MiKTeX 2.5) (preloaded
> format=cont-en 2007.3.4)  9 MAR 2007 18:00
> entering extended mode
> **facturen.tex \emergencyend
> (facturen.tex
>
> ConTeXt  ver: 2006.12.20 23:52 MK II  fmt: 2007.3.4  int: english/english
>
> language        : language en is active
> system          : cont-new loaded
>
> ("D:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
> Data\MiKTeX\2.5\tex\context\b
> ase\cont-new.tex"
>
> FatalError      : Your format does not match the base files!
>
> FormatVersion   : 2006.12.20 23:52 MK II
> FilesVersion    : 2007.02.21 11:55

I don't have MikTeX here right now, but there is one thing to
consider: it might be that you won't be able to run the latest ConTeXt
out-of-the-box (without some additional settings) because the latest
versions only support pdfTeX 1.40 and higher. But I'm speculating now.
Perhaps it nevertheless works.

I really should test MikTeX a bit more (I switched my OS recently).

Automated updater has (or at least had) a few problems:
- ConTeXt doesn't necessary place the unzipped files into the right
directory (it's a bit messy under MikTeX -)
- ConTeXt doesn't necessary copy the formats to the proper place

I would suggest you to try the following two proposals (first a, then b):

a) Make sure that the files were copied into the proper place, you can
also try to unzip cont-tfm.zip into C:\Program Files\MikTeX manually.
After that, use the "MikTeX Options" or something similar, refresh
database, remake formats, refresh database (you have to click a button
because "texexec --make" might not be adapted well enough for MikTeX)

b) Uninstall the context package and install it again. That way the
new context will be deleted and the old one from MikTeX will be
installed again. (It might be that after uninstalling some leftovers
will remain in the texmf tree - you can also check manually if
everything has been deleted.)

General remark: on MikTeX it's usually best to run MikTeX's updater
(for ctxtools --update there is no reliable uninstaller). If you need
the latest and greatest features of ConTeXt, you may run the
standalone ConTeXt in parallel. That's what I always did. What appered
to work on one distribution sometimes failed on the other (or vice
versa). That way I always had a "plan B" when something has failed.

Mojca