* new problem (context update and miktex)
@ 2007-03-10  9:36 R. Ermers
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: R. Ermers @ 2007-03-10  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear All,

I still have a large problem with the newest context update which is
incompatible with the latest MikTeX installation. Many files are not
regularly processed anymore.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to clean up the right
Context files and reinstall an older version?
I prefer not to make a mess of my Miktex installation. Latex  still works.

Thanks in advance,

Robert

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.6-2.2 (MiKTeX 2.5) (preloaded
format=cont-en 2007.3.4)  9 MAR 2007 18:00
entering extended mode
**facturen.tex \emergencyend
(facturen.tex

ConTeXt  ver: 2006.12.20 23:52 MK II  fmt: 2007.3.4  int: english/english

language        : language en is active
system          : cont-new loaded

("D:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\MiKTeX\2.5\tex\context\b
ase\cont-new.tex"

FatalError      : Your format does not match the base files!

FormatVersion   : 2006.12.20 23:52 MK II
FilesVersion    : 2007.02.21 11:55

* Re: new problem (context update and miktex)
@ 2007-03-10 10:54 ` Taco Hoekwater
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-03-10 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

R. Ermers wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I still have a large problem with the newest context update which is
> incompatible with the latest MikTeX installation. Many files are not
> regularly processed anymore.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to clean up the right
> Context files and reinstall an older version?
> I prefer not to make a mess of my Miktex installation. Latex  still works.

I don't know what you had to do to install the new ConTeXt (you have
to undo those steps, obviously).

All known old versions of context are archived in the museum:

   https://foundry.supelec.fr/frs/?group_id=14

Cheers, Taco

* Re: new problem (context update and miktex)
@ 2007-03-10 12:12 ` R. Ermers
From: R. Ermers @ 2007-03-10 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Taco,

I updated with the command ctxtools --updatecontext. I know where to
find the old versions, but I don't  know which files of the new
distribution I need to remove. Or should I simply remove all context
directories, install a less recent context version (from the zip-file)
and refresh the FNDB? Is there a risk that Miktex gets so confused that
I will need to reinstall it as well?

Another question is which version is still compatible with Miktex 2.5?

Regards,

Robert

* Re: new problem (context update and miktex)
@ 2007-03-10 16:02 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-03-10 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 10:36:07 +0100
"R. Ermers" <r.ermers@hccnet.nl> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I still have a large problem with the newest context update which is
> incompatible with the latest MikTeX installation. Many files are not
> regularly processed anymore.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to clean up the right
> Context files and reinstall an older version?
> I prefer not to make a mess of my Miktex installation. Latex  still works.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Robert
>

> This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.6-2.2 (MiKTeX 2.5) (preloaded
> format=cont-en 2007.3.4)  9 MAR 2007 18:00
> entering extended mode
> **facturen.tex \emergencyend
> (facturen.tex
>
> ConTeXt  ver: 2006.12.20 23:52 MK II  fmt: 2007.3.4  int: english/english
>
> language        : language en is active
> system          : cont-new loaded
>
> ("D:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
> Data\MiKTeX\2.5\tex\context\b
> ase\cont-new.tex"

Hi Robert,

can look if there is also a texmf-local directory (or something
similiar) in the path from your MikTeX installation.

Wolfgang

> FatalError      : Your format does not match the base files!
>
> FormatVersion   : 2006.12.20 23:52 MK II
> FilesVersion    : 2007.02.21 11:55

* Re: new problem (context update and miktex)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-03-10 16:45 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-03-10 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/10/07, R. Ermers wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I still have a large problem with the newest context update which is
> incompatible with the latest MikTeX installation. Many files are not
> regularly processed anymore.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to clean up the right
> Context files and reinstall an older version?
> I prefer not to make a mess of my Miktex installation. Latex  still works.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Robert
>

> This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.6-2.2 (MiKTeX 2.5) (preloaded
> format=cont-en 2007.3.4)  9 MAR 2007 18:00
> entering extended mode
> **facturen.tex \emergencyend
> (facturen.tex
>
> ConTeXt  ver: 2006.12.20 23:52 MK II  fmt: 2007.3.4  int: english/english
>
> language        : language en is active
> system          : cont-new loaded
>
> ("D:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
> Data\MiKTeX\2.5\tex\context\b
> ase\cont-new.tex"
>
> FatalError      : Your format does not match the base files!
>
> FormatVersion   : 2006.12.20 23:52 MK II
> FilesVersion    : 2007.02.21 11:55

I don't have MikTeX here right now, but there is one thing to
consider: it might be that you won't be able to run the latest ConTeXt
out-of-the-box (without some additional settings) because the latest
versions only support pdfTeX 1.40 and higher. But I'm speculating now.
Perhaps it nevertheless works.

I really should test MikTeX a bit more (I switched my OS recently).

Automated updater has (or at least had) a few problems:
- ConTeXt doesn't necessary place the unzipped files into the right
directory (it's a bit messy under MikTeX -)
- ConTeXt doesn't necessary copy the formats to the proper place

I would suggest you to try the following two proposals (first a, then b):

a) Make sure that the files were copied into the proper place, you can
also try to unzip cont-tfm.zip into C:\Program Files\MikTeX manually.
After that, use the "MikTeX Options" or something similar, refresh
database, remake formats, refresh database (you have to click a button
because "texexec --make" might not be adapted well enough for MikTeX)

b) Uninstall the context package and install it again. That way the
new context will be deleted and the old one from MikTeX will be
installed again. (It might be that after uninstalling some leftovers
will remain in the texmf tree - you can also check manually if
everything has been deleted.)

General remark: on MikTeX it's usually best to run MikTeX's updater
(for ctxtools --update there is no reliable uninstaller). If you need
the latest and greatest features of ConTeXt, you may run the
standalone ConTeXt in parallel. That's what I always did. What appered
to work on one distribution sometimes failed on the other (or vice
versa). That way I always had a "plan B" when something has failed.

Mojca