Hello, I have just noticed this thread (I cannot really catch up reading all the stuff here) and remembered that I have some really old files lying somewhere on my computer. The file dates back to the time when Brooks Moses & Hans have implemented \defineconversion [sl] [a] [\sloveniancharacters] for me, so I needed to make sure that I understood the concept. I didn't review the content, I have just added a small demo at the end. On 4/16/07, Robin Kirkham wrote: > Hi all, > > There are still a few problems with \numstr when you get beyond the > hundreds. Perhaps this is unlikely when it is a page number, but I > was interested in using this macro for contracts, where an amount of > money is often written out in words. > > \input numstr.tex > \starttext > \numstr{-1}\par > \numstr{0}\par > \numstr{101}\par > \numstr{1001}\par > \numstr{1000001}\par > \numstr{1200021} > \stoptext > > This produces output: > > null > null > one hundred and one > one thousand one > one millionone > one million two hundred thousand twenty-one I didn't follow the thread, but the problems might result from the fact that it was translated from a german counter rather than written from scratch following some rules. > which should be: > > minus one > zero > one hundred and one > one thousand and one > one million and one My example fails on this one, but I guess that it could be fixed if you tell me the rule to distinguish the two cases. > one million, two hundred thousand and twenty-one > > In English, the tens/units (if not zero) should be preceded by "and" > if the number exceeds 100 (so 101 is correct in the above output). > This applies whether the tens/units is truly tens/units, or is a > thousands or millions multiplier (120000 = "one hundred and twenty > thousand"). > > The use of a comma after millions and sometimes thousands is helpful > but not essential, and it only appears in certain cases. I'll have to > think a bit more about a rule for that! > > The use of a hyphen between tens and units ("twenty-one") is not > incorrect but is nowadays probably regarded as a little old-fashioned > (but personally, I like it). > > Best, > > Robin I have used this page as a source: http://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/vocabulary/numbers/cardinal Mojca Note 1: If the functionality/documentation can be polished out nicely, the core or m-something might be a better place for such a module than third-party modules. But I guess that Hans would want to split this into *.mkii and *.mkiv anyway, so I would probably need to write the lua implementation for it before asking for inclusion ;) Note 2: there are some switches which would need to be implemented in a higher level user interface. Note that the German counter might be useless since I have never finished it.