* xetex and external pdf stretching
@ 2007-09-05 17:05 Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-09-05 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm experimenting with xetex as suggested. All ok up to know.
But I'm having a strange problem with figures.
Typically I create my diagrams with Omnigraffle, export them in pdf
(default setting) and reimport them in ConTeXt. Always fine.

Using texexec --xtx I'm having a strange scale in vertical dimension,
i.e. the figure is vertically stretched. The figure is ok, because
the problem does not arise when I omit the -xtx flag.

The code I'm using is trivial

\placefigure{{\em Semiotiche}: produzione, distribuzione e accesso.}
{\externalfigure[pipeline][width=\textwidth]}

No stretching using a png instead of a pdf

\placefigure{{\em Semiotiche}: produzione, distribuzione e accesso.}
{\externalfigure[pipeline][width=\textwidth]}

I guess it could it be in some way related to fonts (the fig is a a
diagram labelled with text)?

Many thanks

Best

-a-

Andrea Valle
CIRMA - DAMS
Università degli Studi di Torino
--> http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/
--> andrea.valle@unito.it

I did this interview where I just mentioned that I read Foucault. Who
doesn't in university, right? I was in this strip club giving this
guy a lap dance and all he wanted to do was to discuss Foucault with
me. Well, I can stand naked and do my little dance, or I can discuss
Foucault, but not at the same time; too much information.
(Annabel Chong)

Andrea Valle
CIRMA - DAMS
Università degli Studi di Torino
--> http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/
--> andrea.valle@unito.it

I did this interview where I just mentioned that I read Foucault. Who
doesn't in university, right? I was in this strip club giving this
guy a lap dance and all he wanted to do was to discuss Foucault with
me. Well, I can stand naked and do my little dance, or I can discuss
Foucault, but not at the same time; too much information.
(Annabel Chong)

* Re: xetex and external pdf stretching
@ 2007-09-13 11:00 ` Mojca Miklavec
       [not found]   ` <699048FE-7F2D-411A-A874-81C70C181E78@di.unito.it>
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-09-13 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/5/07, Andrea Valle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm experimenting with xetex as suggested. All ok up to know.
> But I'm having a strange problem with figures.
> Typically I create my diagrams with Omnigraffle, export them in pdf (default
> setting) and reimport them in ConTeXt. Always fine.
>
> Using texexec --xtx I'm having a strange scale in vertical dimension, i.e.
> the figure is vertically stretched. The figure is ok, because the problem
> does not arise when I omit the -xtx flag.
>
> The code I'm using is trivial
>
> \placefigure{{\em Semiotiche}: produzione, distribuzione e accesso.}
> {\externalfigure[pipeline][width=\textwidth]}
>
> No stretching using a png instead of a pdf

I have just figured out that weird scaling of jpg figures came from
XeTeX, not from ConTeXt. Actually, xdv2pdf driver works OK, while
xdvipdfmx driver uses some arbitrary scaling. (I might be that
resolution wrong in original file, but \XeTeXpicfile "file" width5cm
should result in exactly 5cm width, no more and no less.)

Can you send me one of problematic PDFs? I would like to check whether
the problem lies in ConTeXt or XeTeX ...

Mojca

* Re: xetex and external pdf stretching
@ 2007-09-13 11:17   ` Andrea Valle
       [not found]   ` <699048FE-7F2D-411A-A874-81C70C181E78@di.unito.it>
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-09-13 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Mojca,

I'll send it to you privately.
I've rewritten the wiki entry related to figure specifying that the
use of low level command is just a workaround.

Best

-a-

On 13 Sep 2007, at 13:00, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On 9/5/07, Andrea Valle wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm experimenting with xetex as suggested. All ok up to know.
>> But I'm having a strange problem with figures.
>> Typically I create my diagrams with Omnigraffle, export them in
>> pdf (default
>> setting) and reimport them in ConTeXt. Always fine.
>>
>> Using texexec --xtx I'm having a strange scale in vertical
>> dimension, i.e.
>> the figure is vertically stretched. The figure is ok, because the
>> problem
>> does not arise when I omit the -xtx flag.
>>
>> The code I'm using is trivial
>>
>> \placefigure{{\em Semiotiche}: produzione, distribuzione e accesso.}
>> {\externalfigure[pipeline][width=\textwidth]}
>>
>> No stretching using a png instead of a pdf
>
> I have just figured out that weird scaling of jpg figures came from
> XeTeX, not from ConTeXt. Actually, xdv2pdf driver works OK, while
> xdvipdfmx driver uses some arbitrary scaling. (I might be that
> resolution wrong in original file, but \XeTeXpicfile "file" width5cm
> should result in exactly 5cm width, no more and no less.)
>
> Can you send me one of problematic PDFs? I would like to check whether
> the problem lies in ConTeXt or XeTeX ...
>
> Mojca

Andrea Valle
CIRMA - DAMS
Università degli Studi di Torino
--> http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/
--> andrea.valle@unito.it

I did this interview where I just mentioned that I read Foucault. Who
doesn't in university, right? I was in this strip club giving this
guy a lap dance and all he wanted to do was to discuss Foucault with
me. Well, I can stand naked and do my little dance, or I can discuss
Foucault, but not at the same time; too much information.
(Annabel Chong)

* XeTeX after ctxtools in MacTeX was: xetex and external pdf stretching
       [not found]         ` <6faad9f00709130547m60b27de5y3e3977c6c0144e00@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2007-09-14  8:22           ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-09-14  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Mojca,

Yes, having the standard mactex I had an old ConTeXt version.

On 13 Sep 2007, at 14:47, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> ctxtools --updatecontext

Done it. Now I'm using:

texexec  --version
TeXExec | version 6.2.0 - 1997-2006

texec --check
2007.09.13 21:15

I've made also:
texexec --make --all

(and nothing more)

While using texexec I'm having no problem.
ConTeXt  ver: 2007.09.13 21:15 MKII  fmt: 2007.9.14  int: english/
english

But with the --xtx flag texexec is now raising a fatal error now:

ConTeXt  ver: 2007.01.12 15:56 MKII  fmt: 2007.9.4  int: english/english

language        : language en is active
system          : cont-new loaded
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/../texmf-local/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex

FatalError      : Your format does not match the base files!

FormatVersion   : 2007.01.12 15:56 MKII
FilesVersion    : 2007.09.13 21:15

?

Many thanks

-a-

Andrea Valle
CIRMA - DAMS
Università degli Studi di Torino
--> http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/
--> andrea.valle@unito.it

I did this interview where I just mentioned that I read Foucault. Who
doesn't in university, right? I was in this strip club giving this
guy a lap dance and all he wanted to do was to discuss Foucault with
me. Well, I can stand naked and do my little dance, or I can discuss
Foucault, but not at the same time; too much information.
(Annabel Chong)

* Re: XeTeX after ctxtools in MacTeX was: xetex and external pdf stretching
@ 2007-09-14  8:31             ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2007-09-14  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrea Valle wrote:

> ConTeXt  ver: 2007.01.12 15:56 MKII  fmt: 2007.9.4  int: english/english
>
> language        : language en is active
> system          : cont-new loaded
> (/usr/local/texlive/2007/../texmf-local/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
>
> FatalError      : Your format does not match the base files!
>
> FormatVersion   : 2007.01.12 15:56 MKII
> FilesVersion    : 2007.09.13 21:15
>

> ?

also run

	texexec --make --xetex --all

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: XeTeX after ctxtools in MacTeX was: xetex and external pdf stretching
@ 2007-09-14  8:46             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2007-09-14  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

2007/9/14, Andrea Valle <valle@di.unito.it>:
> Thanks Mojca,
>
> Yes, having the standard mactex I had an old ConTeXt version.
>

> On 13 Sep 2007, at 14:47, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>

> ctxtools --updatecontext
>

> Done it. Now I'm using:
>
> texexec  --version
> TeXExec | version 6.2.0 - 1997-2006
>
> texec --check
> 2007.09.13 21:15
>
> I've made also:
> texexec --make --all
>
> (and nothing more)
>
> While using texexec I'm having no problem.
> ConTeXt  ver: 2007.09.13 21:15 MKII  fmt: 2007.9.14  int: english/english
>
> But with the --xtx flag texexec is now raising a fatal error now:
>

> ConTeXt  ver: 2007.01.12 15:56 MKII  fmt: 2007.9.4  int: english/english
>
> language        : language en is active
> system          : cont-new loaded
> (/usr/local/texlive/2007/../texmf-local/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
>
> FatalError      : Your format does not match the base files!
>
> FormatVersion   : 2007.01.12 15:56 MKII
> FilesVersion    : 2007.09.13 21:15
>

> ?
>
> Many thanks

Hi Andrea,

you have to generate extra formats for XeTeX, you should type
texexec --make --all --xetex before you can run ConTeXt.

Wolfgang

* Re: XeTeX after ctxtools in MacTeX was: xetex and external pdf stretching
@ 2007-09-14  8:59               ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-09-14  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

YES.
Thanks Mojca, Wolfgang. Stretching problem solved updating ConTeXt.

Best

-a-

@ 2007-09-14  9:45                 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-09-14  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/14/07, Andrea Valle wrote:
> YES.
> Thanks Mojca, Wolfgang. Stretching problem solved updating ConTeXt.

Great! Do you still experience any speed problems now? (I have a
feeling that Hans has removed dependency on ImageMagic, but I didn't
try to uninstall it to check if that was true.)

I also need to apologise for blaming ConTeXt for wrong stretching of
included figures (I had some problems with figures in XeTeX in ConTeXt
already before, so I falsely assumed that it was "yet another one in
the series"). It turned out it has been a XeTeX bug, which popped up
only for some very specific kind of pictures and only in xdvipdfmx ...

Mojca

* Re: XeTeX after ctxtools
@ 2007-09-14  9:51               ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-09-14  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmmm,

after updating I'm able to solve problems related to figures in XeTeX.
In any case, my graphical project (involving jpgs and pdf inclusion,
also in alyers)  does not compile anymore.

I'm having this

** WARNING ** Invalid CMap
** ERROR ** pdf_ref_obj(): passed invalid object.

Output file removed.

What does it mean?

@ 2007-09-14 10:01                   ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-09-14 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14 Sep 2007, at 11:45, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Great! Do you still experience any speed problems now? (I have a
> feeling that Hans has removed dependency on ImageMagic, but I didn't
> try to uninstall it to check if that was true.)

(I'm surely having ImageMagick in my path, don't kwon if it's a
relevant info)
Well, it seems much faster but as my complex work does not compile
anymore I have only tested with this, which works pretty well:

\enableregime[utf]
\mainlanguage[it]
\starttext
\placefigure{{\em Semiotiche}: produzione, distribuzione e accesso.}
{\externalfigure[pipeline.pdf][width=\textwidth]}

\placefigure{{\em Semiotiche}: produzione, distribuzione e accesso.}
{\externalfigure[pipeline.png][width=\textwidth, height=.1\textheight]}

\stoptext

@ 2007-09-14 11:23               ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-09-14 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

There are strange delays on the mailing list I guess...

-a-

@ 2007-09-14 13:36                 ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2007-09-14 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 14 septembre à 11:51:43 Andrea Valle <valle@di.unito.it> écrit notamment:

| I'm having this
>
| ** WARNING ** Invalid CMap
| ** ERROR ** pdf_ref_obj(): passed invalid object.

I had the same until I updated metapost to version 1.000 and regenerated
some formats (metafun). Now it has disappeared and everything works.

cheers,
--
Jean

* Re: XeTeX after ctxtools
@ 2007-09-14 13:46                   ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-09-14 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Many thanks

and how do I update Metapost?
I supposed that

ctxtools --updatecontext

would have update all

Best

-a-

@ 2007-09-14 13:59                     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-09-14 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrea Valle wrote:
> Many thanks
>
> and how do I update Metapost?
> I supposed that
>
> ctxtools --updatecontext
>
> would have update all

this only updates the context files (tex, mp, etc) not binaries

(soon it will be possible to do this from the garden)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: XeTeX after ctxtools
@ 2007-09-14 14:02                       ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-09-14 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Hans,
So, how can I update binaries?

Best
-a-

@ 2007-09-14 14:17                         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-09-14 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrea Valle wrote:
> Thanks Hans,
> So, how can I update binaries?

depends on the platform ... debian ships intermediate updates, at
akira's site there are fresh win binaries, osx distributions have good
updaters, and for luatex there is luatex.org and fabrice's gforge repos

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: XeTeX after ctxtools
@ 2007-09-14 15:54                           ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-09-14 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

> depends on the platform ...

OK, I serached a bit and the downloaded and installed the
TeXLive-2007-Dev

from http://tug.org/mactex/morepackages.html. It's the september 2007
package.
The stretching problem was solved even without updating via

ctxtools --updatecontext

But I did it the same, then I did
texexec --make --all
texexec --make --all --xetex

ConTeXt works but it doesn't change anything with respect to the:

| ** WARNING ** Invalid CMap
| ** ERROR ** pdf_ref_obj(): passed invalid object.

message (which makes the compilation fail in the case of my
photoBooklet).

Any hints?

Thanks

Best

-a-

@ 2007-09-14 16:00                     ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2007-09-14 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 14 septembre à 15:46:05 Andrea Valle <valle@di.unito.it> écrit notamment:

| Many thanks
>
| and how do I update Metapost?
| I supposed that
>
| ctxtools --updatecontext
>
| would have update all
>
| Best

Here:

http://foundry.supelec.fr/frs/?group_id=13&release_id=224

--
Jean

* Re: XeTeX after ctxtools
@ 2007-09-14 16:41                           ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-09-14 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brief investigation and summary:

After
1. updating with macTeX package on macOSX 10.4.9
2. even if I have update ConTeXt and regenerate formats (all, also
with xetex)

my normal ConTeXt (texexec) is ok, my XeConTeX  (texexec --xtx) is
broken

This is a test code (saved as utf-8)

\enableregime[utf]
\setuppapersize[S6][S6]
%\setupbodyfont[ss, 12pt]
\definetypeface[Optima][rm][Xserif][Optima]
\setupbodyfont[Optima]

\starttext

Here I'm working, with all you need: \crlf
òîèéàùç

Don't uncomment this

%\startitemize
%\item a malicious item
%\stopitemize

or this:
%$\to$
\stoptext

Uncommenting makes compilation fail with:

** WARNING ** Invalid CMap
** ERROR ** pdf_ref_obj(): passed invalid object.

Output file removed.

(More, XeTeX is still slow)

tested also from terminal

-a-

@ 2007-09-14 18:27                             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-09-14 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrea Valle wrote:

>> depends on the platform ...
>
> OK, I serached a bit and the downloaded and installed the
> TeXLive-2007-Dev
>
> from http://tug.org/mactex/morepackages.html. It's the september 2007
> package.
> The stretching problem was solved even without updating via
>
> ctxtools --updatecontext
>
> But I did it the same, then I did
> texexec --make --all
> texexec --make --all --xetex
>
> ConTeXt works but it doesn't change anything with respect to the:
>
> | ** WARNING ** Invalid CMap
> | ** ERROR ** pdf_ref_obj(): passed invalid object.
>
> message (which makes the compilation fail in the case of my photoBooklet).
>
> Any hints?

try with different fonts

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: XeTeX after ctxtools
@ 2007-09-14 18:28                             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-09-14 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrea Valle wrote:
> Brief investigation and summary:
>
> After
> 1. updating with macTeX package on macOSX 10.4.9
> 2. even if I have update ConTeXt and regenerate formats (all, also with
> xetex)
>
> my normal ConTeXt (texexec) is ok, my XeConTeX  (texexec --xtx) is broken

--xetex too?

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: XeTeX after ctxtools
@ 2007-09-14 19:02                               ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-09-14 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Hans

texexec --xetex myfile.tex

is broken too:
** WARNING ** Invalid CMap
** ERROR ** pdf_ref_obj(): passed invalid object.

(what's the difference between --xtx and --xetex?)

Best

-a-

@ 2007-09-15 11:25                                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-09-15 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrea Valle wrote:
> Thanks Hans
>
> texexec --xetex myfile.tex
>
> is broken too:
> ** WARNING ** Invalid CMap
> ** ERROR ** pdf_ref_obj(): passed invalid object.
>

> (what's the difference between --xtx and --xetex?)

depends on theversion of texexec; nowadays we always use dvipdfmx so
there should be no different

to me it looks like one of the fonts is broken, context does nothing
with cmaps (that is, only mkiv does)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: XeTeX after ctxtools
@ 2007-09-15 14:10                                   ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-09-15 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Hans

Hmm, if you mean it can depend of Optima (a part from the fact that
it has worked perfectly before)
the following breaks in the same way:

\enableregime[utf]
\setuppapersize[S6][S6]

\starttext

\startitemize
\item nome dell'insegnamento (es. $\to$ Storia del cinema)
\item settore scientifico-disciplinare (SSD, es. $\to$ l-art/06)
\item numero di crediti (cfu, es. $\to$ 10)
\stopitemize
La votazione é
irrilevante. Queste informazioni vanno inserite in un file di testo
in una forma simile:
\stoptext

It gives:

[1
** NOTICE: This document contains a `Preview & Print only' licensed
font **
]
** WARNING ** Invalid CMap
** ERROR ** pdf_ref_obj(): passed invalid object.

(I take care of removing other aux files)

-a-

@ 2007-09-15 16:43                                     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-09-15 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrea Valle wrote:

> \enableregime[utf]

this one is not needed, xetex is utf

> \starttext
>
> \startitemize
> \item nome dell'insegnamento (es. $\to$ Storia del cinema)
> \item settore scientifico-disciplinare (SSD, es. $\to$ l-art/06)
> \item numero di crediti (cfu, es. $\to$ 10)
> \stopitemize
> La votazione é
> irrilevante. Queste informazioni vanno inserite in un file di testo in
> una forma simile:
> \stoptext
>
> It gives:
>
> [1
> ** NOTICE: This document contains a `Preview & Print only' licensed font **
> ]
> ** WARNING ** Invalid CMap
> ** ERROR ** pdf_ref_obj(): passed invalid object.

i wonder what that object is .. and who generates the ref, could be a
special but you do nothing special in the example so i'm puzzled ... do
others have this problem?

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: XeTeX after ctxtools
@ 2007-09-15 17:51                                       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-09-15 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

(I'm sorry for the delayed answer.)

On 9/15/07, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Andrea Valle wrote:
> > ** WARNING ** Invalid CMap
> > ** ERROR ** pdf_ref_obj(): passed invalid object.
>
> i wonder what that object is .. and who generates the ref, could be a
> special but you do nothing special in the example so i'm puzzled ... do
> others have this problem?

Yes. I don't remember whether I already complained about it or not,
but here's another (minimal) example to reproduce it:

\starttext
\startformula
a+b=\int_{i=0}^{\infty}\Gamma\,dx
\stopformula
\stoptext

The main problem (besides being quite slow for the default LM) is that
"font loading" in ConTeXt+XeTeX now does the following:

if ("FontName" is a valid font) then
     use "FontName"
else
    use "[FontName]"
end

And that one forgets the third possibility: about the old tfm fonts
which should be loaded without any quotes, for example rm-lmr12

\font\a="rm-lmr12" works, but \font\a="rm-lmr12" at 12pt doesn't, and
ConTeXt tries to use that one. Normally TeX would stop: generate and
report the error at that point, but ConTeXt currently skips those
errors on purpose and tries to use an unexisting font, so it results
in a broken PDF.

What about
    \definefontsynonym [...] [rm-lmr12] [type=tfm]
    \definefontsynonym [...] [lmodern12-regular] [type=otf]
or, use the already existing mechanism:
    \definefontsynonym [...] [tfm:rm-lmr12] [...]
    \definefontsynonym [...] [file:lmodern12-regular] [...]

I know it's ugly, but I guess that one either needs:
a) being more precise in font specifications inside ConTeXt and tell
XeTeX exactly what kind of font needs to be loaded (an installed one,
otf file inside texmf tree, or the old tfm)
b) a harmless way to ask XeTeX if some font exists (instead of the
current ugly hack)
c) a new "extremely permissive" mode in XeTeX, which would accept the
same synax for al the three kinds of fonts

The fastest way to fix this is to create the third possibility in the
if-else statement (I forgot where that one was, but I can take a
look), but as an intermediate solution (until XeTeX gets more
functionality in that respect, if ever), I guess that a) would be a
must, although the definitions might look slightly less elegant/clean
than they're now.

Mojca

PS: to be honest, I'm still using the XeTeX version from TeXLive 2007
which is a bit old. I remember that Jonathan has promissed to look
into the problem described above some time ago (\font\a="rm-lmr12" vs.
\font\a="rm-lmr12" at 12pt), but I have no idea about what has
happened later with it. But in any case: this problem should be fixed
inside ConTeXt first.

* Re: XeTeX after ctxtools
@ 2007-09-15 19:16                                         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-09-15 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> PS: to be honest, I'm still using the XeTeX version from TeXLive 2007
> which is a bit old. I remember that Jonathan has promissed to look
> into the problem described above some time ago (\font\a="rm-lmr12" vs.
> \font\a="rm-lmr12" at 12pt), but I have no idea about what has
> happened later with it. But in any case: this problem should be fixed
> inside ConTeXt first.

taco will write a 'non existing font' catch routine for xetex (and
pdftex/luatex) so that we can get away from the batch mode trickery

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: XeTeX after ctxtools
@ 2007-09-15 19:41                                         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-09-15 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> (I'm sorry for the delayed answer.)
>
> On 9/15/07, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Andrea Valle wrote:
>>> ** WARNING ** Invalid CMap
>>> ** ERROR ** pdf_ref_obj(): passed invalid object.
>> i wonder what that object is .. and who generates the ref, could be a
>> special but you do nothing special in the example so i'm puzzled ... do
>> others have this problem?
>
> Yes. I don't remember whether I already complained about it or not,
> but here's another (minimal) example to reproduce it:
>
> \starttext
> \startformula
> a+b=\int_{i=0}^{\infty}\Gamma\,dx
> \stopformula
> \stoptext
>
> The main problem (besides being quite slow for the default LM) is that
> "font loading" in ConTeXt+XeTeX now does the following:
>
> if ("FontName" is a valid font) then
>      use "FontName"
> else
>     use "[FontName]"
> end
>
> And that one forgets the third possibility: about the old tfm fonts
> which should be loaded without any quotes, for example rm-lmr12
>
> \font\a="rm-lmr12" works, but \font\a="rm-lmr12" at 12pt doesn't, and
> ConTeXt tries to use that one. Normally TeX would stop: generate and
> report the error at that point, but ConTeXt currently skips those
> errors on purpose and tries to use an unexisting font, so it results
> in a broken PDF.

i will send you a patch (yet another test for a spec -)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: XeTeX after ctxtools
@ 2007-09-16  7:50                                       ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-09-16  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Thanks Hans)

On 15 Sep 2007, at 18:43, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Andrea Valle wrote:
>
>> \enableregime[utf]
>
> this one is not needed, xetex is utf

Ok. I read some infos on the wiki but I was a bit confused.
So:

- if I encode in utf-8 I don't have to specify regime \enableregime[utf]
- if I encode in another encodign (e.g. mac roman) I have to specify
\the correct \enableregime (here: [mac])

Am I right?

@ 2007-09-16  7:53                                           ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2007-09-16  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was happy with old install, with bugs and xetex low level commands :-)

So, er, which strategy you gurus suggest?

Reinstall from scratch (old) TeXLive 2007 waiting for a new release?

I have that project of typesetting our journal which will start in a
month.
(I'd like to use system fonts, also to approximate the original
typesetting)

Thanks

Best

-a-

@ 2007-09-16  9:21                                         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-09-16  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/16/07, Andrea Valle wrote:
> On 15 Sep 2007, at 18:43, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> \enableregime[utf]
>>
>> this one is not needed, xetex is utf
>

> Ok. I read some infos on the wiki but I was a bit confused.
> So:
>
> - if I encode in utf-8 I don't have to specify regime \enableregime[utf]
> - if I encode in another encodign (e.g. mac roman) I have to specify \the
> correct \enableregime (here: [mac])
>
> Am I right?

a) Yes. In LuaTeX and XeTeX utf-8 already is the default regime. Only
for pdfTeX you still need \enableregime[utf-8] (but it doesn't hurt if
you leave it in XeTeX and LuaTeX)

b) Yes, it should be so in theory. But to be honest, it doesn't work,
although it's probably a rather trivial patch. ConTeX+XeTeX currently
simply ignores the \enableregime command. (Most people, esp. the ones
aware about XeTeX, write in utf-8 anyway, so nobody has complained
enough about the lack of that functionality.) You can still use the
low-level command
    \XeTeXinputencoding "..."
(I don't know which name exactly you need for mac roman, but that should work.)

But then again:
- I've been just playing a little bit with it again and figured out
that things have changed during the MKIV transition a bit. XeTeX
doesn't ignore \enableregime any more (as it was the case some time
ago), and that functionality should be adapted (\enableregime should
not be ignore, but should resolve to the correct behaviour properly).
- In addition to that, the default fonts loaded are now OpenType LM
instead of the old ones, which is much better, but during loading,
[encoding=uc] has been omitted (and that should be fixed as well),
which means that \`e or \egrave won't work as they used to.

So my answer would be: don't use \enableregime in XeTeX at the moment
and use UTF-8. But the other problem with math fonts is much more
critical and needs to be fixed as soon as possible. That one can wait
a bit.

Mojca

* Re: XeTeX after ctxtools
@ 2007-09-16  9:38                                             ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-09-16  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/16/07, Andrea Valle wrote:
> I was happy with old install, with bugs and xetex low level commands :-)
>
> So, er, which strategy you gurus suggest?
>
> Reinstall from scratch (old) TeXLive 2007 waiting for a new release?

That's one possibility, of course.

You can also download any ConTeXt version from here:
    http://foundry.supelec.fr/frs/?group_id=14
and then unzip it into texmf-local (or wherever the ConTeXt files
currently are) and remake formats.

But there is still one thing I fear: font handling in XeTeX has been
broken since TeX Live came out, so I don't know if there is any
"stable" XeTeX font support in any of the versions between the one
from TeX Live 2007 and the latest one. There are some late versions
and fixes, but I really don't know which one to suggest. Perhaps Taco
knows better. Or simply take the one from TeX Live again.

Another possibility would be to use LuaTeX. It should work OK, but
again, there is no 100% guarantee (I created some newspaper with it
back in June and besides all the problems I had every now and then, it
was pre-alpha after all, our color laser at university still objects
to print it out. I shouldn't have mentioned that, but only to warn you
that any last-minute fixes in ConTeXt can be problematic, if you don't
have at least two days inbetween, so that all the little bugs biting
you in that release can be fixed.)

I hope that the problem with non-working PDFs will be resolved really
soon, so if you have a few days more to wait ... in the meantime you
can try LuaTeX.

wget http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/install/macosxtex.zip
wget http://www.pragma-ade.com/context/install/justtex.zip
unzip macosxtex.zip
unzip justtex.zip
cd tex
. setuptex
luatools --generate
texexec --make --all
texexec --make --xtx --all
texexec --make --lua --all

Don't worry, that won't break your distribution. You can use the
standalone context completely isolated from everything else. You only
need to issue ". setuptex" each time you want to use the standalone.
In all the other cases, your system-installed TeX will be used.

Mojca

* Re: XeTeX after ctxtools
@ 2007-09-16 21:49                                         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-09-16 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrea Valle wrote:
> (Thanks Hans)
>
> On 15 Sep 2007, at 18:43, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Andrea Valle wrote:
>>
>>> \enableregime[utf]
>>
>> this one is not needed, xetex is utf
>

> Ok. I read some infos on the wiki but I was a bit confused.
> So:
>
> - if I encode in utf-8 I don't have to specify regime \enableregime[utf]
> - if I encode in another encodign (e.g. mac roman) I have to specify
> \the correct \enableregime (here: [mac])
>
> Am I right?

kind of ... i never tested regimes with xetex if only because i assume
that xetex users use utf8 of have recoded their docs to utf8 -)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: XeTeX after ctxtools
@ 2007-09-16 21:53                                               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2007-09-16 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Another possibility would be to use LuaTeX. It should work OK, but
> again, there is no 100% guarantee (I created some newspaper with it
> back in June and besides all the problems I had every now and then, it
> was pre-alpha after all, our color laser at university still objects

Can you reprocess that doc and test again? Color in mkiv is implemented
completely different from mkii but it should be ok now.

> I hope that the problem with non-working PDFs will be resolved really
> soon, so if you have a few days more to wait ... in the meantime you
> can try LuaTeX.

in a few days font issues in the binary will be resolved (subsetting and
such) so ...

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl