* Fwd: ec-lmr12 not loadable: Metric (TFM) file
       [not found]       ` <A43CE4EA-7AAC-4093-929F-DDCF8F5A96C8@mac.com>
@ 2007-11-03  9:37         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-11-03  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Dalyoung,

I hopw you don't mind if I forward this to the mailing list, but I
won't be home for some days, and for some problems you mention here I
have no idea what could go wrong.

On 11/3/07, Dalyoung Jeong wrote:
> Dear Mojca,
>
> Thank you for  your concern.
>
> Yesterday, I removed TeX and reinstalled gwTeX via i-installer.
> Since there are no lm*.map files in the folder gwTeX/texmf.texlive/
> fonts/map/dvipdfm,
> I run "ctxtools --dpx --force /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive" and it
> produced the files in the context folder.
> After that I made format file using
> sudo texmfstart texexec --make --all --pdftex
> sudo texmfstart texexec --make --all --xetex
>
> It create format files in the folder
> ~/Library/texmf/web2c/{pdftex, xetex}
>
> I run a file which was good before the upgrade to Leopard.
> Then it runs OK without error but the message
> "** NOTICE: This document contains a `Preview & Print only' licensed
> font ** "
> was shown. No lm error either.

That notice is normal/usual for XeTeX.

> However, I can see series of small squares instead of text. Only math
> equations are shown correctly.

In Latin Modern? Which ConTeXt version? Did you only install TeXLive
or also ConTeXt updater (with the latest version of ConTeXt)? Small
squares could be a consequence of the old Type1 fonts instead of
OpenType (in case you have an old version).

> I didn't change any setting after upgrade.
>
> So I checked fonts one by one. Here are results:
>
> 1. Almost all fonts are working OK in plain xetex. But some comercial
> fonts are not.
>         "CFF:invalid character" and no output.

Hmmm ... you need to ask about that on the XeTeX mailing list. Mention
which fonts exactly are causing problems and where you got them.

> 2. Default fonts in the system(AppleMyungjo, AppleGothic, #PilGi ,...)
> are working OK in XeTeX+ ConTeXt. I defined fonts using the command
> \font. And greek capital, like "\Pi, \Phi, \Gamma,...) are appeared
> correctly.

> 3. If I tried to use some commercial fonts, then I got either
> "CFF:invalid character" message and no pdf output for some fonts or no
> error message but a series of blank squares.
> 4. If I use typescript file instead of \font command, the greek
> capitals like  "\Pi, \Phi, \Gamma,...) are not appeared correctly
> while \Alpha, \Beta are appeared well.

Can you send exact typescripts you're using? Failure with uppercase
greek is usually a typescript problem (I have experienced it very
often).

> I don't know well about the running process of ConTeXt, but I assume
> that xdvipdfmx is not compatible with Leopard. If I know the way to
> make pdf file using the path ".tex-> .xdv -> .pdf", I'll test it. But
> I don't know how to do it. There is no command option of texexec.

See also recent messages on the XeTeX mailing list.

And see
    @@runoptions['xetex']   = ['--8bit','-output-driver="xdvipdfmx -E
-d 4 -V 5"']
in scripts/context/ruby/base/tex.rb

But if you change sdvipdfmx to xdv2pdf, you'll have problems with
Latin Modern (they're hardcoded in the ConTeXt format and file names
don't work with xdv2pdf, so you would need to change definitions in
type-oft.tex I guess).

> Hence, my current problem is that I can not use some otf fonts which
> was good before the upgrade.
> Is there a way to cancel "CFF:invalid character" message and series of
> blank squares? Why is it appeared after the uipgrade? And is there a
> way to dispaly greek capitals correctly?

I have no idea. But please post a complete example. You can also try
to upgrade to a newer version of XeTeX and xdvipdfmx (backup the old
version before doing so) from
http://minimals.contextgarden.net/bin/xetex/osx-intel/bin/, although
this won't solve your exact problems. Make sure that you're using the
latest stable version of ConTeXt (2007.09.28). The problems with \font
command need to be reported to the XeTeX mailig list (name the fonts
and where you got them from), for the ConTeXt-related problems, attach
a miniminal example together with your typescripts.

Mojca

> Thank for listening.
>
> Best regards,
> Dalyoung
>

> On 2007. 11. 02, at 오전 5:41, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
> > Can you please send me a complete example (a simple document + log
> > files)?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >    Mojca
> >
> > On 11/1/07, Jeong Dalyoung wrote:
> >> Dear Mojca,
> >>
> >> Thank you for the reply.
> >>
> >> I'd like to tell you what happened in my computer.
> >>
> >> Two days ago, I upgraded OSX to Leopard and tested the TeX.
> >> I tried XeConTeXt for a file which worked fine before the upgrade.
> >> It's body font was set to  some korean otf fonts.
> >>
> >> It run smoothly(with some blanks between many lines of log in the
> >> terminal. This appeared  sometime ago after the new updates of
> >> ConTeXt
> >> and XeTeX). There is no error at all in the terminal.
> >> However, I got many squares in the pdf file instead of Korean
> >> characters. Math and English appeared well.
> >> The only change is the Leopard upgrade.
> >>
> >> Hence I reinstalled gwTeX TeXlive and ConTeXt. And I got lm font
> >> error. There is lm otf fonts in gwTeX.texlive/fonts/opentype/pub/lm/
> >>
> >> There is another message in the terminal:"CFF:invaid character"
> >>
> >> As you suggest, I downloaded xetex and xdvipdfmx from ConTeXt site
> >> but
> >> It doesn't cure the problem.
> >>
> >> I should upgrade to new OSX later.
> >> Do you have any idea for this?
> >>
> >> Thank you.
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >>
> >> Dalyoung

* Re: ec-lmr12 not loadable: Metric (TFM) file
       [not found]       ` <6faad9f00711011341vd0961fcoa1a15e0836b00999-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-11-05  8:30         ` Dalyoung Jeong
       [not found]           ` <1B090B93-16DF-4B9B-87B9-1CD52AD6E2BB-ee4meeAH724@public.gmane.org>
From: Dalyoung Jeong @ 2007-11-05  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mojca Miklavec
	Unicode-based TeX for Mac OS X and other platforms

Dear Mojca,

Thank you for the reply. As you did, I send my problem to the list. I
think that I am a problem maker.

I wonder why the output of XeTeX+ConTeXt was changed after the upgrade
to Leopard.
I didn't change anything in TeX system. I just upgraded the OSX.
But nicely working XeTeX+ConTeXt had a problem with the korean
commercial fonts.(no korean letters were  appeared.)

I installed TeXlive using i-installer(gwTeX) with Mac OSX Leopard,
Latest stable ConTeXt, XeTeX 0.996

I made a short test file and a typescript file for the test.
I have tested in several ways.

1. In XeTeX, everything is OK.  Korean letters and greek capitals are
appeared well. I thinkt that it used xdv2pdf.

This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.996 (Web2C 7.5.6)
  file:line:error style messages enabled.
entering extended mode
(./test-font.tex [1] )
(see the transcript file for additional information)
Mon Nov  5 16:56:15 graph.ssu.ac.kr xdv2pdf[21489] <Error>: WARNING:
Type1 font data returned by OFAStreamPSDownload isn't in the correct
format required by the Adobe Type 1Font Format specification.
Output written on test-font.pdf (1 page).
Transcript written on test-font.log.

after adding \starttext and \stoptext
2. In XeTeX+ConTeXt, no ouput because of the korean commercial font.

[1
** NOTICE: This document contains a `Preview & Print only' licensed
font **
]
** ERROR ** CFF: Invalid character.

Output file removed.
Output written on test-font.pdf (1 page).
Transcript written on test-font.log.

3.In XeTeX+ConTeXt without the definition of the korean commercial font:

No error messeges, defined korean font and greek capitals are appeared
well.
But korean letters(except the manually defined korean font) are
appeared as blanks. English letters are OK.

4. I used typescript file "type-xkor2.tex"

No error message. English letters are OK.
But  korean letters(except the manually defined korean font) and the
greek capitals are appeared as blanks.

I think that Leopard has a problem with xdvipdfmx. It is just my guess.

I attached test file and a typescript file. I used some commercial
fonts but they are freely distributed as demo at the following site: "www.softmagaic.co.kr
"  After connecting it, you can see "otf sm font" in the third
rectangle at the right side of the frame. You can download 5 fonts. I
used three of them in the typescript file and one of them in the test
file.

Thank you again.
Best regards,

Dalyoung

[-- Attachment #2: test-font.tex --]

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

%
%\font\A="smGothicR\space W35" at 14pt
\font\B="Times\space Roman" at 14pt
\font\E="Euler-Regular" at 14pt
\font\K="#GungSeo\space Regular" at 14pt

\usetypescriptfile[type-xkor2]
\usetypescript[myface]
\setupbodyfont[Myface,18pt, rm]

\starttext
%\A
We'd like to test some fonts in this file. Please, see what happen in the output file.
For this paragraph, a default font is used.

폰트를 시험하고 있습니다. 이 부분은 기본폰트로 지정되어 있습니다.

Thank you. 감사합니다.
\vskip1cm

 This is a font-test file for sm font. Is it looking good? \par
한글 고딕체입니다.
\vskip1cm

{\B This is a font-test file for Times Roman font. Is it looking good?}\par
타임로마서체 입니다.
\vskip1cm

{\E This is a font-test file for Euler font. Is it looking good?}\par
오일러서체입니다.
\vskip1cm

{\K This is a font-test file for Gungseo font. Is it looking good?\par
궁서체 입니다.}
\vskip1cm

$$ \alpha\ \beta \gamma \delta\dots \pi \ \phi $$
$$ \alpha\ \beta \gamma \Delta\dots \Pi \ \Phi  $$

\stoptext
%\XeTeXpicfile "7starmagic2.pdf"
\bye

[-- Attachment #3: type-xkor2.tex --]

% Start a typescript:

\starttypescript[serif][testrm][uc]
% Regular variant:
 \definefontsynonym[MyungjoRegular][(smGothicR\space W35)][encoding=uc]
 \definefontsynonym[MyungjoLight][(smHangSer\space Medium)][encoding=uc]
 \definefontsynonym[MyungjoBold][(smJohabP\space Medium)][encoding=uc]
\stoptypescript

% Start another typescript that associates generic names with
% mid-level names:
\starttypescript[serif][tesetrm][name]
 \definefontsynonym[Serif][MyungjoRegular]
 \definefontsynonym[SerifBold][MyungjoBold]
 \definefontsynonym[SerifItalic][MyungjoLight]
 \definefontsynonym[SerifBoldItalic][MyungjoBold]
% The fallbacks
 \definefontsynonym[SerifSlanted][SerifItalic]
 \definefontsynonym[SerifBoldSlanted][SerifBold]
 \definefontsynonym[SerifCaps][Serif]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript[myface]
 \definetypeface[Myface][rm][serif][testrm][default][encoding=uc]
 %\definetypeface[Myface][ss][sans][yoongo][default][encoding=uc]
 %\definetypeface[Myface][tt][mono][yoonche][default][encoding=uc]
%\definetypeface [Myface][mm][math] [iwona][default][encoding=uc]
\stoptypescript

@ 2007-11-05  9:47             ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-11-05  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Unicode-based TeX for Mac OS X and other platforms

Am 05.11.2007 um 09:30 schrieb Dalyoung Jeong:

> Mon Nov  5 16:56:15 graph.ssu.ac.kr xdv2pdf[21489] <Error>:
> WARNING: Type1 font data returned by OFAStreamPSDownload isn't in
> the correct format required by the Adobe Type 1Font Format
> specification.
> Output written on test-font.pdf (1 page).
> Transcript written on test-font.log.

As you can see xdv2pdf produced an output file (and most likely a
correct one). The WARNING message appears on Tiger regularly when a
PostScript font is used that needed to be converted to OTF first
before embedding. I never found (could find?) a fault with this
messages and fonts, although it makes me nervous and uncertain.

The error that you only see blank background instead of Korean text
seems to happen in Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) with quite a few PDF
viewers. And it's not restricted to Korean only. Obviously only Adobe
Reader can display correctly. Some users mentioned that quite old
software which was never adapted to Leopard seem to mess up "font
caches." TeXniscope is one such application. For some users it seemed
to help to clean these font caches and to log out and in, for some
just logging off and in already helped – and not using again
TeXniscope, Equation Service, or LaTeX Equation Editor.

--
Greetings

   Pete

There's something the technicians need to learn from the artists. If
it isn't aesthetically pleasing, it's probably wrong.

@ 2007-11-06 12:26           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2007-11-06 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)