From: "Mojca Miklavec" <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: TeX ligatures in XeTeX/LuaTeX: ``who needs them''?
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 19:48:29 +0100	[thread overview]

On Dec 9, 2007 5:07 PM, Willi Egger wrote:
> > or even more weird ones:
> >   !` -> inverted exclam
> >   ?` -> inverted question
>
> For Spanish this is definitevely necessary. Again if coded in UTF
> there is no problem.

Do Spansh users still key them in like that (apart from old TeX-ies
who have never heard abot anything beyond \v, \", \')? I mean: would
anyone miss those two ligatures? (I assume that people need to use
inverted quotation marks in Word as well ...)

Ono problem is that that's a "well known" TeX behaviour though
(documented in beginner's manual as well).

> > Some ligatures are handy indeed:
> >   -- -> endash
> >   --- -> emdash
> >   ' -> right single quote (I'm, isn't etc.)
>
> Sure this is important, I suggest to add the horizontal ellipsis

\dots? But what if one decides to use, say, 10 dots in a row? That
might lead to weird effects (non-evenly spaced dots). -- and --- have
been well established, so one would be careful enough before writing
"----------". And there's \dots, so that one could have been mapped to
ellipsis if needed.

Thanks,
    Mojca