* ConTeXt meeting: preliminary registrations open now
@ 2008-01-03 22:47 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-01-03 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello dear ConTeXt enthusiasts,

First of all I would like to thank to all of you who have replied to
my first mail.
(It's really a pity that quite some people whom I was hoping to see or
get to know will not be able to participate this year.)

I have put the meeting page online now (not perfect yet, but it serves
the basic needs):
     http://meeting.contextgarden.net/
The registration form should be working now (I hope so at least - two
have registered already).

I had two locations in mind, but I have chosen the nicer and cheaper
one, which consequently means that it is fully booked months in
advance. Even though it could host two such meetings, I cannot take
the risk of booking and paying for too many empty beds, or vice versa:
it would be stupid to decline people just because of too few
reservations.

Why to come?
- meet ConTeXt fellows
- present your work
- solve your problems quickly
- not every software can offer you direct contact with its authors:
you will be proud to say that you have met two among the most
important TeX-ies around the world (then you will be only one step
away from Don E. Knuth)
- spend nice holidays next to the biggest Slovenian lake (swimming, if
the weather will still permit) - if it will be too cold or rainy, you
may continue your trip to the Croatian coast
- some last year participants on the list could name you other reasons
as well :-)

So - if you're thinking about visiting this tiny, but wonderful piece
of Europe in August, please register right away on
     http://meeting.contextgarden.net/2008/register.shtml
(and choose "I will come for sure" :)

    Mojca

* Re: ConTeXt meeting: preliminary registrations open now
@ 2008-01-08 21:16 ` Jeff Smith
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Jeff Smith @ 2008-01-08 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 3, 2008 5:47 PM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> (It's really a pity that quite some people whom I was hoping to see or
> get to know will not be able to participate this year.)

Personally, I would really love to attend but Europe as a whole is not
a cheap destination for my limited, part-time employee part-time
student means (I'm in Canada). I'm in France or Swizterland once or
twice a year, but it's paid by work and I don't get to choose the time
of year...

On appearances it sometimes feels like I'm the only North American
user of ConTeXt (which is surely not true, though)!

If a meeting in North America were to be organized, I'd be there.
Hell, I'd help organize it. ;-)

Jeff

* Re: ConTeXt meeting: preliminary registrations open now
@ 2008-01-08 21:31   ` Idris Samawi Hamid
From: Idris Samawi Hamid @ 2008-01-08 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 14:16:47 -0700, Jeff Smith <ascarel@gmail.com> wrote:

> On appearances it sometimes feels like I'm the only North American
> user of ConTeXt (which is surely not true, though)!

You're kidding, right ;-)

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: ConTeXt meeting: preliminary registrations open now
@ 2008-01-09 11:52   ` Roger Mason
From: Roger Mason @ 2008-01-09 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jeff Smith" <ascarel@gmail.com> writes:

> On appearances it sometimes feels like I'm the only North American
> user of ConTeXt (which is surely not true, though)!

You are not alone!  I'm in St John's, Newfoundland.
So n >= 2.

Cheers,
Roger

* Re: ConTeXt meeting: preliminary registrations open now
@ 2008-01-09 12:27   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-01-09 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 8, 2008 10:16 PM, Jeff Smith wrote:
> On Jan 3, 2008 5:47 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> > (It's really a pity that quite some people whom I was hoping to see or
> > get to know will not be able to participate this year.)
>
> Personally, I would really love to attend but Europe as a whole is not
> a cheap destination for my limited, part-time employee part-time
> student means (I'm in Canada). I'm in France or Swizterland once or
> twice a year, but it's paid by work and I don't get to choose the time
> of year...

You may try to ask to arrange a trip in that part of the year :)
Even if you don't decide about it, your hints might help ...

> On appearances it sometimes feels like I'm the only North American
> user of ConTeXt (which is surely not true, though)!

In case you wonder: 27% of wiki visitors come from USA (if you can
neglect the fact that its among the biggest countries, that's the
highest percentage), next 14% from Germany. But it's true that Canada
only has twice as many visitors as Slovenia, despite the size :p

> If a meeting in North America were to be organized, I'd be there.
> Hell, I'd help organize it. ;-)

Only change the last sentence to "I'm going to organize it in 20XX,
I'm looking for coorganizers ..." ;)
Then you can
TUG meetings in USA are usually way too expensive (both trip & fee) to
attend only for fun.

@ 2008-01-09 16:02     ` Santy, Michael
From: Santy, Michael @ 2008-01-09 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Make that >3.  I'm in beautiful northern Alabama.

Cheers,
Mike

@ 2008-01-09 17:29       ` David Wooten
From: David Wooten @ 2008-01-09 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)