From: "Mojca Miklavec" <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Using Postscript Type 1 fonts in ConTeXt/XeTeX?
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 22:11:12 +0100	[thread overview]

On Jan 20, 2008 9:55 PM, Roland wrote:
> Hi Mojca,
>
> Thanks for your two answers. I guess updating my distribution is the
> first priority--perhaps that is causing all the errors I just posted
> in answer to Wolfgang's suggestion.
>
> I'll try your suggestion and then see if it works, will confirm to the
> mailing list once I know.
>
> Thanks
> Roland
>
> PS Is it always necessary to upgrade a fresh distribution immediately?
> I am a bit surprised that a fresh MacTex from December would already
> be so outdated...

It might be that MacTeX has fixed its own bugs recently, but it is
still based on TeXLive and that one has been released in January 2007
(with basically no updates since then). You can use the old ConTeXt &
XeTeX as well, but you will have problems later (nobody says that you
won't have problems anyway :).

An alternative in to use the standalone ConTeXt. For example by
downloading and running
http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/osx-intel/first-setup.sh and
then putting something like
    . context/tex/setuptex context/tex
to .bash_profile (or executing it each time when you need it) or to
the place where TextMate can "find it"
(~/context/ is where I have saved the "first-setup.sh")

The advantage of the standalone ConTeXt is that you can also use
LuaTeX (Hans's and Taco's baby, so you have higher chances that it
will work properly in ConTeXt - XeTeX is often a bit broken, but
neither is really stable yet :).

> Thanks, I tried this. Getting loads of error messages though, see
> below. They are repeated multiple times in Textmate, just once when I
> try to issue the command "mktextfm Eco101Roman" from the command line.

mxtextfm is the wrong command to use (that is an ancient TeX warning),
intended for something else.

Mojca