From: "Mojca Miklavec" <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>
Cc: Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew@sil.org>
Subject: Re: XeTeX: faked bold & slanted + request for ppc users
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 14:50:22 +0100	[thread overview]

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 8:26 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  > I just wanted to let you know that XeTeX now supports both faking bold
>  > and slanted (and the binaries on the garden minimals have that feature
>  > already). It's generally a bad idea to use it, but in case that you
>  > need it only for small portions of text (if you really have no other
>  > way out), it could be handy. (Slanted is less evil to use than
>  > "bold".)
>
>  > The plain syntax is:
>  >
>  > \font\a="Gentium"
>  > \font\b="Gentium:slant=0.2" % better: \font\b="Gentium/I"
>  > \font\c="Gentium:embolden=2"
>  > \font\d="Gentium:embolden=2;slant=0.2"
>
>  hm, so it's embolden? in that case we need a remap to extend

If I understand your question, extending the kerning for line
thickness is missing, yes (but maybe not desired in monospace fonts or
in Chinese, which is where the feature request came from, but in most
cases extended should be applied indeed). I wanted to ask that, but
I'm not sure about what is the most right thing to do.

>  > Some time ago I have posted an example of the (current?) ConTeXt way to use it:
>  >
>  > \definefontfeature
>  >   [slantedandextended]
>  >    % cloned from the rest of XeTeX, not really needed
>  >   [method=node,script=latn,language=dflt,liga=yes,onum=yes,kern=yes,
>  >    slant=0.25,extend=1.5]
>
>  i remember that taco and i discussed it with regards to luatex (i think
>  that we even had a key in the tfm table at some point); i need to look
>  into it

I'm only guessing, but I also have a feeling that ConTeXt could
already support that feature per-se (with minor modifications).
Doesn't "outline fonts" in ConTeXt use exactly the same kind of
trickery as this "embolden" in XeTeX? (Only that outline only draws
outlines, while embolden draws the inner part (normal glyphs) +
outline.)

Mojca