* minimals: I'm not guilty :)
@ 2008-03-12  2:35 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-03-12  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have applied the changes to mtx-update.lua made by Hans without
really testing them:

> hm, just copy to mtx-update
>
> it forces us to fix things

Now you need to use --force to really do anything useful (you might
need to update first-setup.sh/bat; I would prefer it without --force,
but well ...).
If anything is really broken, there is still "update-old".

Mojca

* Re: minimals: I'm not guilty :)
@ 2008-03-12  3:57 ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-03-12  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

thanks, mojca, but I think in the future new minimals should be
carefully tested before commit to the server.
at least 5 times the formats failed to compile this year which made
the users run into problem using it.
btw. the minimals works fine under FreeBSD using the Linux
compatibility layer. but should we make binaries for BSD i386 and BSD
amd64 as well?
ps. until now only pdftex works in the minimals if we try to use the
good old ways. the configuration files for dvipdfm(x) and dvips are
almost missing. should we add it later? or just remove the dvi support
completely?

* Re: minimals: I'm not guilty :)
@ 2008-03-12 10:36   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-03-12 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yue Wang wrote:
> thanks, mojca, but I think in the future new minimals should be
> carefully tested before commit to the server.
> at least 5 times the formats failed to compile this year which made
> the users run into problem using it.
> btw. the minimals works fine under FreeBSD using the Linux
> compatibility layer. but should we make binaries for BSD i386 and BSD
> amd64 as well?
> ps. until now only pdftex works in the minimals if we try to use the
> good old ways. the configuration files for dvipdfm(x) and dvips are
> almost missing. should we add it later? or just remove the dvi support
> completely?

the minimals are still experimental esp because we want to have
automated updates and such; it really takes (esp mojca) lots of time to
make sure that all files are there (and no redundant of unused files) as
well as to make sure that the scripts works ok

but we're getting there

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: minimals: I'm not guilty :)
@ 2008-03-12 10:37 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-03-12 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have applied the changes to mtx-update.lua made by Hans without
> really testing them:
>
>> hm, just copy to mtx-update
>>
>> it forces us to fix things
>
> Now you need to use --force to really do anything useful (you might
> need to update first-setup.sh/bat; I would prefer it without --force,
> but well ...).
> If anything is really broken, there is still "update-old".

mtxrun --script mtx-update --state

is the way to go since it uses the stored state

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: minimals: I'm not guilty :)
@ 2008-03-12 13:16   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-03-12 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 4:57 AM, Yue Wang wrote:
> thanks, mojca, but I think in the future new minimals should be
>  carefully tested before commit to the server.

There are two different things:
- scripts devoted to the minimals (which is what I have updated now)
- ConTeXt itself

The reason for broken distribution has mostly been broken ConTeXt
which is Hans's resposibility (and would be broken on any other
distribution). But one of the most important features is the
possibility to use "--context=YYYY.MM.DD" to take you back in time if
your distribution is broken.

>  at least 5 times the formats failed to compile this year which made
>  the users run into problem using it.
>  btw. the minimals works fine under FreeBSD using the Linux
>  compatibility layer. but should we make binaries for BSD i386 and BSD
>  amd64 as well?

There is no problem to make one, but the most important question: Who
is going/willing to send me the binaries for the almost-latest XeTeX,
metapost, LuaTeX and pdfTeX? If anyone is willing to take that over
(send me binaries for the beginning) and to test it, I will add
another architecture to the scripts.

>  ps. until now only pdftex works in the minimals if we try to use the
>  good old ways. the configuration files for dvipdfm(x) and dvips are
>  almost missing. should we add it later? or just remove the dvi support
>  completely?

dvips ... might be supported, I don't know.

Is dvipdfm needed?

Mojca

* Re: minimals: I'm not guilty :)
@ 2008-03-13  0:52     ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-03-13  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Mojca.

thanks for reply.

>  There is no problem to make one, but the most important question: Who
>  is going/willing to send me the binaries for the almost-latest XeTeX,
>  metapost, LuaTeX and pdfTeX? If anyone is willing to take that over
>  (send me binaries for the beginning) and to test it, I will add
>  another architecture to the scripts.

I can compile the x86 and amd64 binaries, but the bad news is I have no time :(
Let's see if native binaries are really need by people on the mailing list.

>  dvips ... might be supported, I don't know.
>
>  Is dvipdfm needed?

dvipdfmx? Of course. pdftex cannot handle CID fonts well. it wont
embed ttc and otf fonts. Apart from that it generates bigger pdfs than
other drivers.
But now the dvipdfmx configure files are almost missing, and one
cannot just use dvipdfmx foobar.tex to generate foobar.pdf directly.
dvipdfmx have  better support for Asian scripts, I think, and it is
needed before LuaTeX/MKIV is stable to do CJK language typesetting
(which we will keep waiting for a long, long, long time).

Yue Wang

* Re: minimals: I'm not guilty :)
@ 2008-03-13  1:25       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-03-13  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 1:52 AM, Yue Wang wrote:
> Hi, Mojca.
>
>  thanks for reply.
>

>  >  There is no problem to make one, but the most important question: Who
>  >  is going/willing to send me the binaries for the almost-latest XeTeX,
>  >  metapost, LuaTeX and pdfTeX? If anyone is willing to take that over
>  >  (send me binaries for the beginning) and to test it, I will add
>  >  another architecture to the scripts.
>
>  I can compile the x86 and amd64 binaries, but the bad news is I have no time :(
>  Let's see if native binaries are really need by people on the mailing list.

Peter is writing some scripts to do everything for you, so you don't
need so much time, but at least a computer with enough free space and
a bit of patience between pressing a button and having the binaries
submitted to the server. But if there is not enough interest and since
I have no way to build for BSD ... let me know.

>  >  dvips ... might be supported, I don't know.
>  >
>  >  Is dvipdfm needed?
>  >
>  dvipdfmx? Of course. pdftex cannot handle CID fonts well. it wont
>  embed ttc and otf fonts. Apart from that it generates bigger pdfs than
>  other drivers.
>  But now the dvipdfmx configure files are almost missing, and one
>  cannot just use dvipdfmx foobar.tex to generate foobar.pdf directly.
>  dvipdfmx have  better support for Asian scripts, I think, and it is
>  needed before LuaTeX/MKIV is stable to do CJK language typesetting
>  (which we will keep waiting for a long, long, long time).

OK, in that case no problem. I'm sorry, I have mixed up a few things.
You may answer me privately about what is needed (and then be ready to
test it - I have no Chineese documents, but maybe Arthur could help as
well :).

Mojca