* New Member Introductory Rant
@ 2008-03-30  8:01 Corin Royal Drummond
From: Corin Royal Drummond @ 2008-03-30  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello ConTeXt Users,

I have become obsessed with ConTeXt since I found out about it while
browsing through the TeX related software on my Ubuntu Linux box.  I've
been teaching myself web development in XHTML/CSS over the last couple
years, and developed a passion for structured documents that separate
presentation as much as possible.  I'm starting to setup Drupal CMS
installations for some friends in preparation for doing web publishing
work for clients.  It's been fun to learn, but so frustrating and
difficult for my poor mind.

I've long been curious about TeX but it seemed too ossified, fragmented,
inflexible, and hard to learn.  Later I discovered LyX and understood
implicitly the style based markup idea, and it's power.  I've always
hated things like word, open office, and DTP programs.  I'm fine doing
the GUI for PhotoShop, but somehow I feel I should be able to just type
text, and have it come out all pretty.  ConTeXt seems to share that
philosophy, so I'm giddy about it.  I suppose I should learn InDesign
too, but I don't really want to.  I use a text editor for my web coding
rather than dragging boxes around in DreamWeaver.  I like that I can
just cut & paste other people's code and learn what they did.  GUI
programs are harder to learn in that way since someone has to write a
whole step-by-step tutorial rather than just show you their commented
code.

I've been working my way through the documentation, ConTeXt Garden, and
whatever I can find on Google searches.  I've worked my way up to making
a letter head with my address, a graphic logo, and couple of font
switches, and some hanging punctuation.  I made another version for my
journal with two columns under each section heading.  I'm using Scite as
my editor, but I haven't set it up anyway special.  Kile didn't seem to
like ConTeXt much, and it's command completion facility kept spitting
out LaTeX code as I typed.  I like Scite as it starts fast, has nice
colors, and is easy to get around.

TexFont doesn't work on Ubuntu.  It craps out saying it can't find it's
TeX root.  Even when I set the FontRoot with the command line switch, it
fails to find it's map files.  I filed a bug with Ubuntu about it as it
seems like some files like the font maps got put in /var/lib.  So I'm
completely frustrated by the font situation.  Don't understand why I
can't just point TexFont at my directory of OTF, TTF, and PFB fonts and
have it suck up every last glyph and variant like Scribus, InkScape, and
InDesign do.  It should configure a reasonable set of typescripts, and
tell me what's available.  All the other TeX fonts should just work out
of the box.  Why do I have to wrestle so vainly just to get the damn
fonts to be available.

Also, I can't for the life of me figure out how to change typefaces in
headers and footers.  I can change to italics, or sizes with style=\it\x
but have no clue how to switch a header to say the Zaph Chancery
caligraphic.  I can switch the body font to it, so I'm part way there.

I'm pretty pissed off about the state of the documentation for ConTeXt.
Out of date docs, that were never finished, and full of holes.  Small
set of MyWay articles, old dead links on the wiki, no roadmap, no bug
database.  It's 2008, there's things like SourceForge, and LaunchPad for
these sort of things.  I don't understand why Pragma can't sell support
for ConTeXt like other open source projects.  That way Hans can afford a
staff to handle people's questions, he can focus on building what he
likes (and we all love), new users can be brought in, and a virtuous
cycle of new contributors, new features, and new users.

TexShow is missing tons of commands I've read about in the manual, and
doesn't bother to explain what any command or option does.  Nor do I
understand how options are chained or structured into more than simple
switches.  Where are the screencasts of gurus showing off how to do cool
things?  Where are the tutorials?  Where are the contributed templates,
so I can read other people's code to learn from?  You'd think that
people who make structured document typesetting systems would spend some
more time on their documentation.

I'd be glad to help, but first I'd need to learn the system.  Since the
docs are so incomplete, I'm not sure how I'd do that.  Catch 22.

I've gotten as far as letter writing, and I'm pretty happy with that.
My goal is to typeset my housemate's pirate novel that she's writing.
I'm going to stick it out and see how far I can get.  I hope I don't
have to go running back to LyX and the memoir class.  I'm home sick with
Hepatitis and Diabetes so I've got some quality time with my six year
old Ubuntu laptop.

If there are any Bay Area ConTeXt users around, I'd love to meet you.
And if any one wants help setting up a better community website, I could
help with that, knowing Drupal.

Hope to speak with some of you soon.

Regards,

Corin Royal Drummond
San Francisco, California
corin@studiochango.com

* Re: New Member Introductory Rant
@ 2008-03-30 18:07 Corin Royal Drummond
From: Corin Royal Drummond @ 2008-03-30 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Corin, Welcome. I will offer some brief comments, and maybe others
will elaborate on things I skip, pass over, or inadequately discuss:

Mojca is probably the main point person. Welcome again to ConTeXt and

Best wishes
Idris

Dear Professor Idriss, and the Lovely ConTeXT Community,

What a thoughtful and warm response to my late night introductory rant.  You've most certainly gained a dedicated new user today.  Your restraint and courtesy to my half-considered diatribe is most heartening.  Amazingly, you managed to answer alot of questions I wasn't fully aware I was asking.

Since I wrote to the list last night, I have continued learning ConTeXt at a frightening clip. Did my first drop caps, indentations, and messed around with setting width and height.  I can't remember when my computer has brought me so much fun.

I'm beginning to see that there is a fair amount of documentation, but it's sprayed all over and needs some TLC.  I think what I'd like to contribute to ConTeXt is some more docs.  I'm thinking of doing some web video screencasts (easy on Linux) showing off how to do specific things like Lettrines or multi-line headers, explaining the format of options and parameters, and generally helping people see and appreciate the ConTeXt way.

I would seem that ConTeXt has a natural market in web developers who are used to writing structured documents for layout engines.  Personally, I'd like to see a Drupal module that will ConTeXtify a person's website as a book or magazine for printing.  How great would it be to have an automatically updating e-book for print and screen generated off your website's content based on your tags/taxonomy.  Just add "FortheBook" tag to an article, and without one having to do any more, it will appear in the PDF available on the front page of your site.  There is a LaTeX module for Drupal, but I haven't tried it.  I think such a module would help to whet other web developer's appetite for ConTeXT.

I think one of the joys of ConTeXt for me is that web development just sucks for typography. There are only a handful of fonts one can specify in any document unless you embed them in images (which God told me was a sin).  By contrast, with ConTeXt, I feel like a kid in a candy store, with so many things I can do to my text.  I nearly had a fit when I got hanging punctuation working.

 Thanks again for your kind counsel Idriss, I hope I can help you guys out by writing some new docs, and being an evangelist for ConTeXt.  Never have I found a piece of software that so deserved wider recognition.

I will definitely keep an eye out for Mojca and Luigi.  Would be so excited to meet a local ConTeXt user.

With deep gratitude,

Corin Royal Drummond
San Francisco