* mtx-update --context=beta?
@ 2008-04-16 17:19 Joel C. Salomon
From: Joel C. Salomon @ 2008-04-16 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm putting together my own rsync calls based on the Minimals
firstsetup.bat and Vyatcheslav's installer.  Found a difference:
firstsetup.bat includes the switch --context=beta in its call to
mtx-update.  What is the difference if it's used or no?

* Re: mtx-update --context=beta?
@ 2008-04-16 18:44 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-04-16 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 7:19 PM, Joel C. Salomon wrote:
> I'm putting together my own rsync calls based on the Minimals
>  firstsetup.bat and Vyatcheslav's installer.  Found a difference:
>  firstsetup.bat includes the switch --context=beta in its call to
>  mtx-update.  What is the difference if it's used or no?

Hello Joel,

I have added that switch after Vyatcheslav has created his installer
(and forgot to ask him to support the switch in his GUI).
Vyatcheslav, I hope that you're reading this :)

Hans uploads "current" and "beta" releases on his web page (sometimes
also alpha, but not very often).
    http://www.pragma-ade.com/download-1.htm
    http://www.pragma-ade.com/download-2.htm
Beta versions mean: "I have put some experimental stuff there - dear
users, please test and tell me if it works OK. If nobody complains for
several days or weeks, this will become a curren/stable release".

--context=beta means that it will sync with either beta (if one
exists) or current (if there is no beta). Default is
--context=current.

See also
   http://minimals.contextgarden.net/current/context/
You can also say --context=2008.01.11, but I have no idea whether
there is/will be space to store all of the distributions (I need to
move the files to Taco's server first).

By writing your own calls I meant even circumventing mtx-update (it
doesn't do anything really clever) and write rsync calls directly. If
you do that, you will have full control of what not to include (you
might want not to include fonts/other for example).

Mojca