* Context to xml
@ 2008-04-21 10:02 Olivier Guéry
From: Olivier Guéry @ 2008-04-21 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
Reading to the xml documentation, I see in the « basic workflow » section
that it's possible to have a TeX -> style -> Xml flow.
Is this flow availaible ? I can't see it in the doc. I just need a few
simple test : Title, author, paragraph.
Since Context is the best way to produce pdf, i don't want to do Xml ->
Contex -> Pdf but

Contex -> pdf (various size)
            -> xml (-> html ?)

Is this possible or just a todo thing ?

Regards,
Olivier.

--
[Message tapé sur un clavier Bépo : http://www.clavier-dvorak.org ]
Olivier nemolivier@gmail.com http://nemolivier.blogspot.com

* Re: Context to xml
@ 2008-04-21 10:42 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-04-21 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Olivier Guéry wrote:
> Hello,
> Reading to the xml documentation, I see in the « basic workflow » section
> that it's possible to have a TeX -> style -> Xml flow.
> Is this flow availaible ? I can't see it in the doc. I just need a few
> simple test : Title, author, paragraph.
>  Since Context is the best way to produce pdf, i don't want to do Xml ->
> Contex -> Pdf but
>
> Contex -> pdf (various size)
>             -> xml (-> html ?)
>
> Is this possible or just a todo thing ?

None of this, I'm afraid, even though it's a FAQ.

tex4ht comes close in some aspects (but works much better for LaTeX
than for ConTeXt), and the author is willing to fix and improve things
on user requests.

Try running htcontext on your document and keep your fingers crossed
that it would work.

Mojca

* Re: Context to xml
@ 2008-04-21 11:18   ` Olivier Guéry
From: Olivier Guéry @ 2008-04-21 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Olivier Guéry wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Reading to the xml documentation, I see in the « basic workflow » section
> > that it's possible to have a TeX -> style -> Xml flow.
> > Is this flow availaible ? I can't see it in the doc. I just need a few
> > simple test : Title, author, paragraph.
> >  Since Context is the best way to produce pdf, i don't want to do Xml ->
> > Contex -> Pdf but
> >
> > Contex -> pdf (various size)
> >             -> xml (-> html ?)
> >
> > Is this possible or just a todo thing ?
>
> None of this, I'm afraid, even though it's a FAQ.

Maybe one day… I think more and more people gonne need this (even a
very simple).

> Try running htcontext on your document and keep your fingers crossed
> that it would work.

I can't find anything that look like htcontext in my context tree.
Must I install something else ?

Olivier.

--

@ 2008-04-21 11:23     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-21 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 1:18 PM, Olivier Guéry <nemolivier@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Mojca Miklavec
> <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Olivier Guéry wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > Reading to the xml documentation, I see in the « basic workflow » section
> > > that it's possible to have a TeX -> style -> Xml flow.
> > > Is this flow availaible ? I can't see it in the doc. I just need a few
> > > simple test : Title, author, paragraph.
> > >  Since Context is the best way to produce pdf, i don't want to do Xml ->
> > > Contex -> Pdf but
> > >
> > > Contex -> pdf (various size)
> > >             -> xml (-> html ?)
> > >
> > > Is this possible or just a todo thing ?
> >
> > None of this, I'm afraid, even though it's a FAQ.
>
> Maybe one day… I think more and more people gonne need this (even a
> very simple).

This is a point where you should consider useing xml as input format.

> > Try running htcontext on your document and keep your fingers crossed
> > that it would work.
>
> I can't find anything that look like htcontext in my context tree.
> Must I install something else ?

It's part of tex4ht.

http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~gurari/TeX4ht/

Wolfgang

* Re: Context to xml
@ 2008-04-21 11:37     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-04-21 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 1:18 PM, Olivier Guéry wrote:

>  > Try running htcontext on your document and keep your fingers crossed
>  > that it would work.
>
>  I can't find anything that look like htcontext in my context tree.
>  Must I install something else ?

If you have standalone ConTeXt, than it's not included in the
distribution, but on my TODO list (I don't really manage to figure out
how to set some variables to make it work properly, and I need to set
auto-updates as well).

You might need TeX Live or MikTeX or some other distribution. It's
also possible to set it up manually, but way too painful.

Mojca

* Re: Context to XML
@ 2002-06-10  8:29 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2002-06-10  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Sun, 9 Jun 2002 19:23:00 -0400
"John Culleton" <john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> I understand that Pragma is working on the job of making XML coded documents
> work under Context. However XML does not have ways of showing refinements
> such as hanging punctuation etc. AFAIK.
> So I have two questions:
>
> Is there a reverse path from Context to XML encoding?

Not that I know of. But XML is as precise as you define it's dtd,
so there is no reason why stuff like the XML code below would not
be acceptable XML (tedious though).

<opcode type="setchar" value="65">
<opcode type="x0" value="4000">
<opcode type="setchar" value="98">

So, the question is:  what DTD do you want to use, and are you free to
extend it if needed?

--
groeten,

Taco

* Re: Context to XML
@ 2002-06-09 23:33 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2002-06-09 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 07:23 PM 6/9/2002 -0400, John Culleton wrote:
>I understand that Pragma is working on the job of making XML coded documents
>work under Context. However XML does not have ways of showing refinements
>such as hanging punctuation etc. AFAIK.
>So I have two questions:
>
>Is there a reverse path from Context to XML encoding?

Here we code in both very structured tex and xml; in principle there is not
much difference (the tex/xml choice mainly depends on teh editing process)

>Is the loss of detail in this reverse path so great so as to make the use
>of fine typesetting useless?

there should be no loss, take for instance hanging punctuation: that is not
coded at all, you just enable it in the style (which is still tex)

>There are databases of published documents that require conversion to
>XML, hence my questions.

As long as you code quote / quotation / compound words / par (begin)ends
and alike, you're pretty save

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Context to XML