* ONE upright beta, please!
@ 2008-04-22 13:33 Steffen Wolfrum
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2008-04-22 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

my whole project is set in Times without problems - except at one spot
there is a "beta" needed. Just this single time!

But, unfortunately, I only get it italic:

\starttext

\usetypescript[postscript][\defaultencoding]
\setupencoding[default=texnansi]
\enableregime[utf]
\setupbodyfont[postscript,10pt] \setupinterlinespace[line=12pt]

$\beta$

β% same in unicode

\stoptext

For it is just this one character, used one single time, I don't feel
encouraged to start messing around with typescripts.

Someone can give me a quick(-and-dirty) advice??

Thank,

Steffen

* Re: ONE upright beta, please!
@ 2008-04-22 13:50 ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-04-22 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Use LuaTeX+MKIV.. All your code works fine and generates the right pdf
file as attached in the mail.

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 9:33 PM, Steffen Wolfrum <context@st.estfiles.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my whole project is set in Times without problems - except at one spot
> there is a "beta" needed. Just this single time!
>
> But, unfortunately, I only get it italic:
>
> \starttext
>
> \usetypescript[postscript][\defaultencoding]
> \setupencoding[default=texnansi]
> \enableregime[utf]
> \setupbodyfont[postscript,10pt] \setupinterlinespace[line=12pt]
>
> $\beta$
>
> β% same in unicode
>
> \stoptext
>

> For it is just this one character, used one single time, I don't feel
> encouraged to start messing around with typescripts.
>
> Someone can give me a quick(-and-dirty) advice??
>

> Thank,
>
> Steffen

[-- Attachment #2: result.pdf --]

* Re: ONE upright beta, please!
@ 2008-04-22 13:52 ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-04-22 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 22 2008, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

> my whole project is set in Times without problems - except at one spot
> there is a "beta" needed. Just this single time!
>
> But, unfortunately, I only get it italic:
>
> \starttext
>
> \usetypescript[postscript][\defaultencoding]
> \setupencoding[default=texnansi]
> \enableregime[utf]
> \setupbodyfont[postscript,10pt] \setupinterlinespace[line=12pt]
>
> $\beta$
>
> β% same in unicode
>
> \stoptext
>

> For it is just this one character, used one single time, I don't feel
> encouraged to start messing around with typescripts.
>
> Someone can give me a quick(-and-dirty) advice??

No messing around with typescripts needed (but very dirty):

\rotate[rotation=15]{$\beta$}

And now a more serious answer:

% engine=luatex
\starttext
\usetypescript[postscript]
\setupbodyfont[postscript]
β % beta in unicode
\stoptext

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: ONE upright beta, please!
@ 2008-04-22 13:57   ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2008-04-22 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.04.2008 um 15:50 schrieb Yue Wang:

> Use LuaTeX+MKIV..

well, sure ... LuaTeX is certainly on my todolist, only not at the end
of an almost finished project.

I assume LuaTeX is not yet mature enough for real production needs as
MKII is, right? Taco?

Steffen

> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 9:33 PM, Steffen Wolfrum <context@st.estfiles.de
> > wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> my whole project is set in Times without problems - except at one
>> spot
>> there is a "beta" needed. Just this single time!
>>
>> But, unfortunately, I only get it italic:
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \usetypescript[postscript][\defaultencoding]
>> \setupencoding[default=texnansi]
>> \enableregime[utf]
>> \setupbodyfont[postscript,10pt] \setupinterlinespace[line=12pt]
>>
>> $\beta$
>>
>> β% same in unicode
>>
>> \stoptext
>>

>> For it is just this one character, used one single time, I don't feel
>> encouraged to start messing around with typescripts.
>>
>> Someone can give me a quick(-and-dirty) advice??
>>

>> Thank,
>>
>> Steffen
>>
> <
> result
> .pdf

* Re: ONE upright beta, please!
@ 2008-04-22 14:00     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-04-22 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Am 22.04.2008 um 15:50 schrieb Yue Wang:
>
>> Use LuaTeX+MKIV..
>

> well, sure ... LuaTeX is certainly on my todolist, only not at the end
> of an almost finished project.
>
> I assume LuaTeX is not yet mature enough for real production needs as
> MKII is, right? Taco?

No, I do not think that would be wise. Certainly not for a project that
is nearly finished.

* Re: ONE upright beta, please!
@ 2008-04-22 14:09   ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2008-04-22 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.04.2008 um 15:50 schrieb Yue Wang:

> Use LuaTeX+MKIV.. All your code works fine and generates the right pdf
> file as attached in the mail.
>>
> <
> result
> .pdf

Such a nice proper upright beta.

So it must lie somewhere in the depths of context's core source ...
there must be a way to get it it with oldschool MKII, no?!

Steffen

* Re: ONE upright beta, please!
@ 2008-04-22 14:17 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-04-22 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  my whole project is set in Times without problems - except at one spot
>  there is a "beta" needed. Just this single time!
>
>  But, unfortunately, I only get it italic:
>
>  \starttext
>
>  \usetypescript[postscript][\defaultencoding]
>  \setupencoding[default=texnansi]
>  \enableregime[utf]
>  \setupbodyfont[postscript,10pt] \setupinterlinespace[line=12pt]
>
>  $\beta$
>
>  β% same in unicode
>
>  \stoptext
>

>  For it is just this one character, used one single time, I don't feel
>  encouraged to start messing around with typescripts.
>
>  Someone can give me a quick(-and-dirty) advice??

The advice would be: find a font with a suitable character and use
something like that:

\loadmapfile[iwona-greek]
\font\iw="greek-iwonar"\iw \char226

The problem is that TeX Gyre fonts do not (yet) ship with greek tfm
files unless I'm mistaken (you can still make tfm file yourself), but
there certainly must be some other suitable font.

Another dirty option:

% engine=luatex
\usetypescript[postscript]
\setupbodyfont[postscript]
\starttext
\startTEXpage
\stopTEXpage
\stoptext

and then \includegraphics[beta]. (You probably need to lower the box as well.)

Mojca

* Re: ONE upright beta, please!
@ 2008-04-22 14:22       ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-04-22 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

as far as i am concerned, MKIV is far better than MKII/pdftex, and
have less bugs concerning the internationalization. I use it for
production purpose. I typeset all my essays using luatex, because
pdftex/MKII is messy especially on non-latin typesetting. Yes,
LuaTeX/MKIV had bugs, but Taco and Hans can solve them:) again.
MKII+XeTeX should also produce the right pdf. but I didn't try. (XeTeX
is stable for production, uh?)

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:00 PM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

>  Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>  > Am 22.04.2008 um 15:50 schrieb Yue Wang:
>  >
>  >> Use LuaTeX+MKIV..
>  >
>  >
>  > well, sure ... LuaTeX is certainly on my todolist, only not at the end
>  > of an almost finished project.
>  >
>  > I assume LuaTeX is not yet mature enough for real production needs as
>  > MKII is, right? Taco?
>
>  No, I do not think that would be wise. Certainly not for a project that
>  is nearly finished.

* Re: ONE upright beta, please!
@ 2008-04-22 14:33   ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2008-04-22 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 22.04.2008 um 15:52 schrieb Peter Münster:

> On Tue, Apr 22 2008, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
>
>> my whole project is set in Times without problems - except at one
>> spot
>> there is a "beta" needed. Just this single time!
>>
>> But, unfortunately, I only get it italic:
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \usetypescript[postscript][\defaultencoding]
>> \setupencoding[default=texnansi]
>> \enableregime[utf]
>> \setupbodyfont[postscript,10pt] \setupinterlinespace[line=12pt]
>>
>> $\beta$
>>
>> β% same in unicode
>>
>> \stoptext
>>

>> For it is just this one character, used one single time, I don't feel
>> encouraged to start messing around with typescripts.
>>
>> Someone can give me a quick(-and-dirty) advice??
>
> No messing around with typescripts needed (but very dirty):
>
> \rotate[rotation=15]{$\beta$}

hahaha, indeed quite dirty! but should do (as luatex is not
recommended here for other reasons ...)

Steffen

* Re: ONE upright beta, please!
@ 2008-04-22 15:20         ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2008-04-22 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

for example (Hans in february): "under some circumstances hz may not
work as expected ..."

I am waiting for summer / Bohinj ;o)

Steffen

Am 22.04.2008 um 16:22 schrieb Yue Wang:

> as far as i am concerned, MKIV is far better than MKII/pdftex, and
> have less bugs concerning the internationalization. I use it for
> production purpose. I typeset all my essays using luatex, because
> pdftex/MKII is messy especially on non-latin typesetting. Yes,
> LuaTeX/MKIV had bugs, but Taco and Hans can solve them:) again.
> MKII+XeTeX should also produce the right pdf. but I didn't try. (XeTeX
> is stable for production, uh?)
>
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:00 PM, Taco Hoekwater
> <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
>>

>> Steffen Wolfrum wrote:

>>> well, sure ... LuaTeX is certainly on my todolist, only not at the
>>> end
>>> of an almost finished project.
>>>
>>> I assume LuaTeX is not yet mature enough for real production needs
>>> as
>>> MKII is, right? Taco?
>>
>> No, I do not think that would be wise. Certainly not for a project
>> that
>> is nearly finished.

* Re: ONE upright beta, please!
@ 2008-04-22 15:27           ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-04-22 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

it is working now.

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 11:20 PM, Steffen Wolfrum

* Re: ONE upright beta, please!
@ 2008-04-22 18:51           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-04-22 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
> for example (Hans in february): "under some circumstances hz may not
> work as expected ..."

that's also true for mkii -)

hz in luatex is font bound and less global then in pdftex

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE