* enableregime in mkiv
@ 2008-05-12  7:56 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2008-05-12  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

I am using MacOSX and up till now my files have a Western(Mac OS
Roman) encoding, not UTF8. That works fime in ConTeXt-mkii by using
\enableregime[mac].
But in ConTeXt-mkiv through luatex I get an error despite that same
\enableregime[mac]: For an accented character like é the error is "!
Text line contains an invalid utf-8 sequence." How can I solve that
other than changing all my files to UTF8 encoding?

Hans van der Meer

* Re: enableregime in mkiv
@ 2008-05-12  8:03 ` Taco Hoekwater
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-05-12  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans van der Meer wrote:
> I am using MacOSX and up till now my files have a Western(Mac OS
> Roman) encoding, not UTF8. That works fime in ConTeXt-mkii by using
> \enableregime[mac].
> But in ConTeXt-mkiv through luatex I get an error despite that same
> \enableregime[mac]: For an accented character like é the error is "!
> Text line contains an invalid utf-8 sequence."

> How can I solve that
> other than changing all my files to UTF8 encoding?

Perhaps with a preprocessing (ctx) file that runs iconv, but luatex
itself wants UTF-8, full stop.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: enableregime in mkiv
@ 2008-05-12  8:16   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-05-12  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Hans van der Meer wrote:
>> I am using MacOSX and up till now my files have a Western(Mac OS
>> Roman) encoding, not UTF8. That works fime in ConTeXt-mkii by using
>> \enableregime[mac].
>> But in ConTeXt-mkiv through luatex I get an error despite that same
>> \enableregime[mac]: For an accented character like é the error is "!
>> Text line contains an invalid utf-8 sequence."
>
>> How can I solve that
>> other than changing all my files to UTF8 encoding?
>
> Perhaps with a preprocessing (ctx) file that runs iconv, but luatex
> itself wants UTF-8, full stop.

regimes should work but maybe there is no mac regime; anyway ... moving
to utf is the best option

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: enableregime in mkiv
@ 2008-05-12  8:28   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2008-05-12  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Text line contains an invalid utf-8 sequence."
Ah yes, I rember: there are 2~3 tex files in base/
with this problem.
I have a list, but it's not update to last context distro (I will do soon) .
I believe that with file command (under linux) one can discover them.

> Perhaps with a preprocessing (ctx) file that runs iconv, but luatex
> itself wants UTF-8, full stop.
Just for sure : no BOM problem ? I remember something about this in mkii
http://unicode.org/faq/utf_bom.html#BOM

--
luigi
it's new .

* Re: enableregime in mkiv
@ 2008-05-12  8:55   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-05-12  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 10:03 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>  Hans van der Meer wrote:
>  > I am using MacOSX and up till now my files have a Western(Mac OS
>  > Roman) encoding, not UTF8. That works fime in ConTeXt-mkii by using
>  > \enableregime[mac].
>  > But in ConTeXt-mkiv through luatex I get an error despite that same
>  > \enableregime[mac]: For an accented character like é the error is "!
>  > Text line contains an invalid utf-8 sequence."
>
>  > How can I solve that
>  > other than changing all my files to UTF8 encoding?
>
>  Perhaps with a preprocessing (ctx) file that runs iconv, but luatex
>  itself wants UTF-8, full stop.

Well, even though - please do yourself a favor and do not use them -
regimes are still supported in mkiv (at least cp12xx and iso-8859-x),
but "mac" regime has not been added to the lua tables (just as many
other older regimes).

Two simple options that I always use for recoding files:
a) recode macintosh..UTF-8 your-file.tex
b) (if a fails for some reason)
vim your-file.tex
:e ++enc=macroman
:set fileencoding=utf-8
:wq

Recode needs to be installed from somewhere (with fink for example).

If you really really cannot leave without mac encoding, support can
still be added to mkiv. But in either case: do yourself a favor and
start using UTF-8.

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 10:28 AM, luigi scarso wrote:
> >> Text line contains an invalid utf-8 sequence."
>  Ah yes, I rember: there are 2~3 tex files in base/
>  with this problem.
>  I have a list, but it's not update to last context distro (I will do soon) .
>  I believe that with file command (under linux) one can discover them.

supp-tpi.tex:           Non-ISO extended-ASCII English text
supp-mps.tex:           ISO-8859 English text
sort-lan.mkii:          Non-ISO extended-ASCII English text
regi-ibm.tex:           Non-ISO extended-ASCII English text, with LF,
NEL line terminators
ppchtex.tex:            Non-ISO extended-ASCII English text
m-pdfsnc.tex:           ISO-8859 English text
font-chi.tex:           ISO-8859 English text
enco-ini.tex:           Non-ISO extended-ASCII English text
enco-cyr.tex:           ISO-8859 English text
core-reg.tex:           ISO-8859 English text
core-lst.tex:           Non-ISO extended-ASCII English text
cont-new.tex:           ISO-8859 English text

>  Just for sure : no BOM problem ? I remember something about this in mkii
>  http://unicode.org/faq/utf_bom.html#BOM

BOM is usually removed automatically. The only problem that I have
discovered last time was when BOM was present in environment file in a
project. But:
- you can write files without BOM
- you can pass --utf option to texexec

Mojca

* Re: enableregime in mkiv
@ 2008-05-12 11:11     ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2008-05-12 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12 mei 2008, at 10:16, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>>
>> Hans van der Meer wrote:
>>> I am using MacOSX and up till now my files have a Western(Mac OS
>>> Roman) encoding, not UTF8. That works fime in ConTeXt-mkii by using
>>> \enableregime[mac].
>>> But in ConTeXt-mkiv through luatex I get an error despite that same
>>> \enableregime[mac]: For an accented character like é the error is "!
>>> Text line contains an invalid utf-8 sequence."
>>
>>> How can I solve that
>>> other than changing all my files to UTF8 encoding?
>>
>> Perhaps with a preprocessing (ctx) file that runs iconv, but luatex
>> itself wants UTF-8, full stop.
>
> regimes should work but maybe there is no mac regime; anyway ...
> moving
> to utf is the best option

What is to be preferred: with or without BOM?

Hans van der Meer

* Re: enableregime in mkiv
@ 2008-05-12 12:34       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-05-12 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans van der Meer wrote:

> On 12 mei 2008, at 10:16, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>>> Perhaps with a preprocessing (ctx) file that runs iconv, but luatex
>>> itself wants UTF-8, full stop.
>> regimes should work but maybe there is no mac regime; anyway ...
>> moving
>> to utf is the best option
>
> What is to be preferred: with or without BOM?

in mkiv both should work ok, but some programs don't like it so i try to
avoid boms

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE