* Re: Typesetting chess boards
       [not found] ` <857308.56334.qm@web56902.mail.re3.yahoo.com>
@ 2008-09-02 18:48   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-09-02 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 8:16 PM, Maurício wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > What is the easiest way to
>> > include chess boards in a
>> > Context document?
>>
>> Chessboards or chessboards with figures?
>
> Chessboards with figures (actually,
> chess studies sets).

Nobody has written a package for that yet, but if you are patient,
it's easy enough that people will be ready to help you. All you need
is some basic metapost (or tables) or TikZ + a suitable font. And
exact specification how you would like the package to work (the form
of input, what options you need, ...).

If you are ready to wait and if you are ready to provide enough
feedback regularly, it's quite doable.

When I think about it, it might make sense to ask on TikZ mailing list
as well. Maybe it's easy enough to make a general TikZ module that
would then work equally well on all engines and all flavours of TeX
(but I don't know TikZ well enough).

Mojca

* Re: Typesetting chess boards
@ 2008-09-03  5:35     ` Ulrich Dirr
From: Ulrich Dirr @ 2008-09-03  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 8:16 PM, Maurício wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> What is the easiest way to
>>> include chess boards in a
>>> Context document?
>>
>> Chessboards or chessboards with figures?
>
> Chessboards with figures (actually,
> chess studies sets).

the easiest way is to use a font for diagrams. Just copy and paste it
into your text editor (you will get a 8×8 matrix plus maybe chars for
rules and numbers around).
This description should be enclosed by a user command, e.g.
\dia{<matrix>}, which turns off interlineskip (in plain
\offinterlineskip). This should be enough for a quick and dirty
solution. High quality typesetting or generating diagrams out of
databases like chessbase or parsing of FEN strings is much more
difficult. You can take a look at LaTeX package chessboard or skak how
they do it ...

Ulrich

* Re: Typesetting chess boards
@ 2008-09-03 14:10     ` Maurí­cio
From: Maurí­cio @ 2008-09-03 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

 > Nobody has written a package for that yet, but
 > if you are patient, it's easy enough that people
 > will be ready to help you. (...)
 >
 > (...) Maybe it's easy enough to make a general
 > TikZ module that would then work equally well on
 > all engines and all flavours of TeX (but I don't
 > know TikZ well enough).

I like that idea. Just subscribed to TikZ list.

Thanks,
Maurício

* Re: Typesetting chess boards
@ 2008-08-25 11:19 ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-08-25 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can draw it using MetaPost. It's pretty easy to do it.
pls refer to http://tex.loria.fr/prod-graph/zoonekynd/metapost/metapost.html,
 you can find a simple chess board drawing there.
But the simplest method, is perhaps including an external chess board figure.

On 8/25/08, Maurí­cio <briqueabraque@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the easiest way to
> include chess boards in a