* fitting a picture to the available space
@ 2008-09-10 22:06 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-09-10 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Hi guys,

I'm pulling my hair out. I'm trying to set up an automatism to fit
pictures to the available space on a slide. I need to consider three
parameters:

1. If the user supplies a value for width= or height= , use this value
(captured in a macro);

2. respect the maxwidth and maxheight which must not exceed the frame;

3. if the picture is smaller than the available space, blow it up so
that it reaches the maxwidth or maxheight (but doesn't exceed either).

factor=max or =fit does not work because it allows pictures to exceed
one of the maximum values. About a year ago Giuseppe Bilotta wrote a
message which I append; it describes my problem. Is there a generic
solution for this problem? If there is, I'll gladly take it; if there
isn't, I thought I had a solution but may need help with expanding and
conditionals, then I'll be back with more questions.

Anyway, good night all, and thanks.

Thomas

> Subject: Re: [NTG-context] factor=fit images don't fit
> Sunday, July 22, 2007 Hans Hagen wrote:
>
> > the fit assumes operating on a page not in a box;
>
> Ah, didn't know that. I couldn't even tell from the sources,
> since it uses enclosing box dimensions and not page or paper
> sizes. I suspect the logic is broken at the page level too
> though, let me explain why.
>
> Currently, if I understand the code correctly, factor=fit
> expands the figure to have its major direction fit, while
> factor=max expands the figure to have its minor direction
> fit.
>
> Instead, the behavior I would expect from fit (resp. max) is
> for the *expansion ratio* to be the minimum (resp. maximum)
> of the expansion ratios in the two directions (not the sizes
> in those directions, but the ratio between the sizes of the
> figure and the container). The difference is noticeable when
> the container and contained have different aspect ratios.
>
> Consider for example a 20x30mm figure in a 50x150mm page
> (strange numbers, just used to show what I mean): with the
> current code, using 'fit' would consider the largest
> dimension (30) and thus calculate a factor of 150/30 = 5,
> but this gives us an image which is 100x150mm, i.e. an image
> that doesn't fit! Whereas, if we computed the ratios 50/20 =
> 2.5 and 150/30 = 5, we would know that the ratio to be
> picked was 2.5 in 'fit' and 5 in 'max'.
>
> Or I misintepreting the meaning of 'fit' and 'max'?
>
> > an alternative is:
>
> > \framed[width=5cm,height4cm]
> >
> > {\externalfigure[mill.png][maxwidth=4cm,maxheight=5cm,width=10cm]}
>
> > i.e. setting the maximum values
>
> I hadn't thought about using width and maxwidth (and
> maxheight) at the same time, thanks. Of course, I'd rather
> have 'fit' and 'max' usable in boxes :)

* Re: fitting a picture to the available space
@ 2008-09-11  7:28 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-09-11  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm pulling my hair out. I'm trying to set up an automatism to fit
> pictures to the available space on a slide. I need to consider three
> parameters:
>
> 1. If the user supplies a value for width= or height= , use this value
> (captured in a macro);
>
> 2. respect the maxwidth and maxheight which must not exceed the frame;
>
> 3. if the picture is smaller than the available space, blow it up so
> that it reaches the maxwidth or maxheight (but doesn't exceed either).
>
> factor=max or =fit does not work because it allows pictures to exceed
> one of the maximum values. About a year ago Giuseppe Bilotta wrote a
> message which I append; it describes my problem. Is there a generic
> solution for this problem? If there is, I'll gladly take it; if there
> isn't, I thought I had a solution but may need help with expanding and
> conditionals, then I'll be back with more questions.
>
> Anyway, good night all, and thanks.

\starttext

\framed[width=5cm,height4cm]{\externalfigure[mill.png][maxwidth=3cm,maxheight=4cm,width=10cm]}

\stoptext

seems to work

> Thomas
>
>> Subject: Re: [NTG-context] factor=fit images don't fit
>> Sunday, July 22, 2007 Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>>> the fit assumes operating on a page not in a box;
>> Ah, didn't know that. I couldn't even tell from the sources,
>> since it uses enclosing box dimensions and not page or paper
>> sizes. I suspect the logic is broken at the page level too
>> though, let me explain why.
>>
>> Currently, if I understand the code correctly, factor=fit
>> expands the figure to have its major direction fit, while
>> factor=max expands the figure to have its minor direction
>> fit.
>>
>> Instead, the behavior I would expect from fit (resp. max) is
>> for the *expansion ratio* to be the minimum (resp. maximum)
>> of the expansion ratios in the two directions (not the sizes
>> in those directions, but the ratio between the sizes of the
>> figure and the container). The difference is noticeable when
>> the container and contained have different aspect ratios.
>>
>> Consider for example a 20x30mm figure in a 50x150mm page
>> (strange numbers, just used to show what I mean): with the
>> current code, using 'fit' would consider the largest
>> dimension (30) and thus calculate a factor of 150/30 = 5,
>> but this gives us an image which is 100x150mm, i.e. an image
>> that doesn't fit! Whereas, if we computed the ratios 50/20 =
>> 2.5 and 150/30 = 5, we would know that the ratio to be
>> picked was 2.5 in 'fit' and 5 in 'max'.
>>
>> Or I misintepreting the meaning of 'fit' and 'max'?
>>
>>> an alternative is:
>>> \framed[width=5cm,height4cm]
>>>
>>> {\externalfigure[mill.png][maxwidth=4cm,maxheight=5cm,width=10cm]}
>>> i.e. setting the maximum values
>> I hadn't thought about using width and maxwidth (and
>> maxheight) at the same time, thanks. Of course, I'd rather
>> have 'fit' and 'max' usable in boxes :)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-09-11  8:04   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-09-11  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 11, 2008, at 9:28 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> \starttext
>
> \framed[width=5cm,height4cm]{\externalfigure[mill.png]
> [maxwidth=3cm,maxheight=4cm,width=10cm]}
>
> \stoptext
>
> seems to work

Ah of course! I could set the width to an absurdly high number and so
make sure that it will always reach the maxheight/maxwidth, no matter
what the ratio! This seems to work, thanks a lot!

Thomas

* Re: fitting a picture to the available space
@ 2008-09-11 13:28     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-09-11 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 11, 2008, at 10:04 AM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2008, at 9:28 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \framed[width=5cm,height4cm]{\externalfigure[mill.png]
>> [maxwidth=3cm,maxheight=4cm,width=10cm]}
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> seems to work
>
> Ah of course! I could set the width to an absurdly high number and so
> make sure that it will always reach the maxheight/maxwidth, no matter
> what the ratio! This seems to work, thanks a lot!

Alas, I spake too soon. Here is an example:

\starttext

\framed[frame=on,strut=no,width=8cm,height=2cm]
  {\externalfigure[mill.png][maxwidth=8cm,maxheight=2cm,width=10cm]}

\stoptext

I would expect the picture to stay within the maxheight, but it doesn't.

Thomas

* Re: fitting a picture to the available space
@ 2008-09-11 14:01       ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2008-09-11 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz schrieb:
> On Sep 11, 2008, at 10:04 AM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>
>> On Sep 11, 2008, at 9:28 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>>> \starttext
>>>
>>> \framed[width=5cm,height4cm]{\externalfigure[mill.png]
>>> [maxwidth=3cm,maxheight=4cm,width=10cm]}
>>>
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> seems to work
>> Ah of course! I could set the width to an absurdly high number and so
>> make sure that it will always reach the maxheight/maxwidth, no matter
>> what the ratio! This seems to work, thanks a lot!
>>

> Alas, I spake too soon. Here is an example:
>
> \starttext
>
> \framed[frame=on,strut=no,width=8cm,height=2cm]
>   {\externalfigure[mill.png][maxwidth=8cm,maxheight=2cm,width=10cm]}
>
> \stoptext
>
> I would expect the picture to stay within the maxheight, but it doesn't.

Hi Thomas,

I tried the above solution for the creation of figure libraries a few
hours ago... with the same result. Using 'height=10cm' instead of
'width=10cm' should work in this case. At least this workaround gives
the right results for my squared graphics (icons). Anyhow, this is no
general solution...

Best, Peter

@ 2008-09-11 14:13       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-09-11 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz
<thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2008, at 10:04 AM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>

>> On Sep 11, 2008, at 9:28 AM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>>> \starttext
>>>
>>> \framed[width=5cm,height4cm]{\externalfigure[mill.png]
>>> [maxwidth=3cm,maxheight=4cm,width=10cm]}
>>>
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> seems to work
>>
>> Ah of course! I could set the width to an absurdly high number and so
>> make sure that it will always reach the maxheight/maxwidth, no matter
>> what the ratio! This seems to work, thanks a lot!
>>

> Alas, I spake too soon. Here is an example:
>
> \starttext
>
> \framed[frame=on,strut=no,width=8cm,height=2cm]
>  {\externalfigure[mill.png][maxwidth=8cm,maxheight=2cm,width=10cm]}
>
> \stoptext
>
> I would expect the picture to stay within the maxheight, but it doesn't.

You could write your own macros and comapre the width/height ration of the
picture with the reation of the box, is simple example is shown below.

\starttext

\start

\setbox\scratchbox\vbox{\externalfigure[mill]}

\dimen0=\wd\scratchbox
\dimen2=\ht\scratchbox

\framed[frame=on,strut=no,width=8cm,height=2cm]
  {\dimen1=\hsize \divide\dimen1 by \dimen0
   \dimen3=\vsize \divide\dimen3 by \dimen2
   \ifdim\dimen1>\dimen3
     \externalfigure[mill][height=\vsize]
   \else
     \externalfigure[mill][width=\hsize]
   \fi}

\framed[frame=on,strut=no,width=2cm,height=8cm]
  {\dimen1=\hsize \divide\dimen1 by \dimen0
   \dimen3=\vsize \divide\dimen3 by \dimen2
   \ifdim\dimen1>\dimen3
     \externalfigure[mill][height=\vsize]
   \else
     \externalfigure[mill][width=\hsize]
   \fi}

\stop

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: fitting a picture to the available space
@ 2008-09-11 14:40         ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-09-11 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 11, 2008, at 4:01 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> I tried the above solution for the creation of figure libraries a few
> hours ago... with the same result. Using 'height=10cm' instead of
> 'width=10cm' should work in this case. At least this workaround gives
> the right results for my squared graphics (icons). Anyhow, this is no
> general solution...
>
> Best, Peter

Hi Peter,

yes, unfortunately I'm looking for a general solution for images whose
dimensions and ratio are not known beforehand. Looks like we're all
hitting the same snag...

Best

Thomas

* Re: fitting a picture to the available space
@ 2008-09-11 14:56           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-09-11 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> On Sep 11, 2008, at 4:01 PM, Peter Rolf wrote:
>
>> Hi Thomas,
>>
>> I tried the above solution for the creation of figure libraries a few
>> hours ago... with the same result. Using 'height=10cm' instead of
>> 'width=10cm' should work in this case. At least this workaround gives
>> the right results for my squared graphics (icons). Anyhow, this is no
>> general solution...
>>
>> Best, Peter
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> yes, unfortunately I'm looking for a general solution for images whose
> dimensions and ratio are not known beforehand. Looks like we're all
> hitting the same snag...

the problem is that in mkii the macros involved in this are rather
complex; i'm considering a pure lua solution but that would not be fully
  compatible with mkii (i.e. it would be more clever and precise)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-09-11 16:20         ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-09-11 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 11, 2008, at 4:13 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz
> <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

>>> Ah of course! I could set the width to an absurdly high number and
>>> so
>>> make sure that it will always reach the maxheight/maxwidth, no
>>> matter
>>> what the ratio! This seems to work, thanks a lot!
>>>

>> Alas, I spake too soon. Here is an example:
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \framed[frame=on,strut=no,width=8cm,height=2cm]
>> {\externalfigure[mill.png][maxwidth=8cm,maxheight=2cm,width=10cm]}
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> I would expect the picture to stay within the maxheight, but it
>> doesn't.
>
> You could write your own macros and comapre the width/height ration
> of the
> picture with the reation of the box, is simple example is shown below.
>
> \starttext
>
> \start
>
> \setbox\scratchbox\vbox{\externalfigure[mill]}
>
> \dimen0=\wd\scratchbox
> \dimen2=\ht\scratchbox
>
> \framed[frame=on,strut=no,width=8cm,height=2cm]
>  {\dimen1=\hsize \divide\dimen1 by \dimen0
>   \dimen3=\vsize \divide\dimen3 by \dimen2
>   \ifdim\dimen1>\dimen3
>     \externalfigure[mill][height=\vsize]
>   \else
>     \externalfigure[mill][width=\hsize]
>   \fi}
>
> \framed[frame=on,strut=no,width=2cm,height=8cm]
>  {\dimen1=\hsize \divide\dimen1 by \dimen0
>   \dimen3=\vsize \divide\dimen3 by \dimen2
>   \ifdim\dimen1>\dimen3
>     \externalfigure[mill][height=\vsize]
>   \else
>     \externalfigure[mill][width=\hsize]
>   \fi}
>
> \stop
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

Wolfgang,

as always, you're a source of wisdom and knowledge... Just I
understand this correctly and can adapt it to my macro: \dimen1=
\hsize: here \hsize refers to the size of the \framed inside which
we're operating, right?

Thomas

* Re: fitting a picture to the available space
@ 2008-09-11 16:31 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-09-11 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:06 AM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm pulling my hair out. I'm trying to set up an automatism to fit
> pictures to the available space on a slide.

Hello,

I'm probably talking about something else, though highly related.
There's one thing that I often miss on slides:

*Here's a title*

- here are
- some items

[and I want the picture to fill up all the remaining space on slide]

Or even if there' only title + image. I tried option=max (or something
similar), but always ended up setting image size manually. Most often
I got title on one page and image on another (It would be less painful
to have image on the same page, even if it hangs much over the lower
border - is there something similar to \placefigure[thispage] option
(puts the figure on the same page, even if there's no space left)?)

Mojca

[I need to stop asking questions now.]

* Re: fitting a picture to the available space
@ 2008-09-11 16:39           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-09-11 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> On Sep 11, 2008, at 4:13 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz
>> <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

>>> Alas, I spake too soon. Here is an example:
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>>
>>> \framed[frame=on,strut=no,width=8cm,height=2cm]
>>> {\externalfigure[mill.png][maxwidth=8cm,maxheight=2cm,width=10cm]}
>>>
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> I would expect the picture to stay within the maxheight, but it
>>> doesn't.
>> You could write your own macros and comapre the width/height ration
>> of the
>> picture with the reation of the box, is simple example is shown below.
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \start
>>
>> \setbox\scratchbox\vbox{\externalfigure[mill]}
>>
>> \dimen0=\wd\scratchbox
>> \dimen2=\ht\scratchbox
>>
>> \framed[frame=on,strut=no,width=8cm,height=2cm]
>>  {\dimen1=\hsize \divide\dimen1 by \dimen0
>>   \dimen3=\vsize \divide\dimen3 by \dimen2
>>   \ifdim\dimen1>\dimen3
>>     \externalfigure[mill][height=\vsize]
>>   \else
>>     \externalfigure[mill][width=\hsize]
>>   \fi}
>>
>> \framed[frame=on,strut=no,width=2cm,height=8cm]
>>  {\dimen1=\hsize \divide\dimen1 by \dimen0
>>   \dimen3=\vsize \divide\dimen3 by \dimen2
>>   \ifdim\dimen1>\dimen3
>>     \externalfigure[mill][height=\vsize]
>>   \else
>>     \externalfigure[mill][width=\hsize]
>>   \fi}
>>
>> \stop
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> Wolfgang
>
> Wolfgang,
>
> as always, you're a source of wisdom and knowledge... Just I
> understand this correctly and can adapt it to my macro: \dimen1=
> \hsize: here \hsize refers to the size of the \framed inside which
> we're operating, right?

be careful ... use \dimen4 and 6 instead of 1 and 3, by convention odd
registers < 10 are used global

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-09-11 17:59           ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-09-11 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 11, 2008, at 6:20 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

>> \starttext
>>
>> \start
>>
>> \setbox\scratchbox\vbox{\externalfigure[mill]}
>>
>> \dimen0=\wd\scratchbox
>> \dimen2=\ht\scratchbox
>>
>> \framed[frame=on,strut=no,width=8cm,height=2cm]
>> {\dimen1=\hsize \divide\dimen1 by \dimen0
>>  \dimen3=\vsize \divide\dimen3 by \dimen2
>>  \ifdim\dimen1>\dimen3
>>    \externalfigure[mill][height=\vsize]
>>  \else
>>    \externalfigure[mill][width=\hsize]
>>  \fi}
>>
>> \framed[frame=on,strut=no,width=2cm,height=8cm]
>> {\dimen1=\hsize \divide\dimen1 by \dimen0
>>  \dimen3=\vsize \divide\dimen3 by \dimen2
>>  \ifdim\dimen1>\dimen3
>>    \externalfigure[mill][height=\vsize]
>>  \else
>>    \externalfigure[mill][width=\hsize]
>>  \fi}
>>
>> \stop
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> Wolfgang
>
> Wolfgang,
>
> as always, you're a source of wisdom and knowledge... Just I
> understand this correctly and can adapt it to my macro: \dimen1=
> \hsize: here \hsize refers to the size of the \framed inside which
> we're operating, right?

And another question: I get an error "! Illegal unit of measure (pt
inserted)." Is it really possible to divide a dimension by another
dimension? Not according to what I read here: http://www.tug.org/utilities/plain/cseq.html#divide-rp
  "must be a nonzero integer." See, I'm far from being a native
speaker of TeX...

Best

Thomas

* Re: fitting a picture to the available space
@ 2008-09-11 21:50             ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-09-11 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 11, 2008, at 7:59 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2008, at 6:20 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>
>>> \starttext
>>>
>>> \start
>>>
>>> \setbox\scratchbox\vbox{\externalfigure[mill]}
>>>
>>> \dimen0=\wd\scratchbox
>>> \dimen2=\ht\scratchbox
>>>
>>> \framed[frame=on,strut=no,width=8cm,height=2cm]
>>> {\dimen1=\hsize \divide\dimen1 by \dimen0
>>> \dimen3=\vsize \divide\dimen3 by \dimen2
>>> \ifdim\dimen1>\dimen3
>>>   \externalfigure[mill][height=\vsize]
>>> \else
>>>   \externalfigure[mill][width=\hsize]
>>> \fi}
>>>
>>> \framed[frame=on,strut=no,width=2cm,height=8cm]
>>> {\dimen1=\hsize \divide\dimen1 by \dimen0
>>> \dimen3=\vsize \divide\dimen3 by \dimen2
>>> \ifdim\dimen1>\dimen3
>>>   \externalfigure[mill][height=\vsize]
>>> \else
>>>   \externalfigure[mill][width=\hsize]
>>> \fi}
>>>
>>> \stop
>>>
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> Wolfgang
>>
>> Wolfgang,
>>
>> as always, you're a source of wisdom and knowledge... Just I
>> understand this correctly and can adapt it to my macro: \dimen1=
>> \hsize: here \hsize refers to the size of the \framed inside which
>> we're operating, right?
>
> And another question: I get an error "! Illegal unit of measure (pt
> inserted)." Is it really possible to divide a dimension by another
> dimension? Not according to what I read here: http://www.tug.org/utilities/plain/cseq.html#divide-rp
>  "must be a nonzero integer." See, I'm far from being a native
> speaker of TeX...

I now have something along these lines (ugly code ahead!):

\setbox\scratchbox\vbox{\externalfigure[mill]%
        \dimen0=\wd\scratchbox%
        \def\@WD{\withoutpt{\the\dimen0}}%
        \def\@@WD{\integerrounding{\@WD}}%
        \dimen4=\textwidth \divide\dimen4 by \@@WD%
        \dimen2=\ht\scratchbox%
        \def\@HT{\withoutpt{\the\dimen2}}%
        \def\@@HT{\integerrounding{\@HT}}%
        \dimen6=\textheight \divide\dimen6 by \@@HT%
        \ifdim\dimen4>\dimen6%
	  \def\Myheight{\textheight}\def\Mywidth{}%
        \else%
	  \def\Mywidth{\textwidth}\def\Myheight{}%
        \fi

and then use height=\Myheight,width=\Mywidth. Bu there's still a
problem... Anyway, does it make sense in general?

Thomas

* Re: fitting a picture to the available space
@ 2008-09-12  7:14               ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-09-12  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 11:50 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz
<thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

>>> Wolfgang,
>>>
>>> as always, you're a source of wisdom and knowledge... Just I
>>> understand this correctly and can adapt it to my macro: \dimen1=
>>> \hsize: here \hsize refers to the size of the \framed inside which
>>> we're operating, right?
>>
>> And another question: I get an error "! Illegal unit of measure (pt
>> inserted)." Is it really possible to divide a dimension by another
>> dimension? Not according to what I read here: http://www.tug.org/utilities/plain/cseq.html#divide-rp
>>  "must be a nonzero integer." See, I'm far from being a native
>> speaker of TeX...
>>
> I now have something along these lines (ugly code ahead!):
>
> \setbox\scratchbox\vbox{\externalfigure[mill]%
>        \dimen0=\wd\scratchbox%
>        \def\@WD{\withoutpt{\the\dimen0}}%
>        \def\@@WD{\integerrounding{\@WD}}%
>        \dimen4=\textwidth \divide\dimen4 by \@@WD%
>        \dimen2=\ht\scratchbox%
>        \def\@HT{\withoutpt{\the\dimen2}}%
>        \def\@@HT{\integerrounding{\@HT}}%
>        \dimen6=\textheight \divide\dimen6 by \@@HT%
>        \ifdim\dimen4>\dimen6%
>          \def\Myheight{\textheight}\def\Mywidth{}%
>        \else%
>          \def\Mywidth{\textwidth}\def\Myheight{}%
>        \fi
>
> and then use height=\Myheight,width=\Mywidth. Bu there's still a
> problem... Anyway, does it make sense in general?

You should close the box before you want to get it's dimensions.

\unprotect

\def\????bf{@@@@bf}

\presetlocalframed[\????bf]

\def\boxfigure[#1][#2]%
  {\bgroup
   \setbox\scratchbox\hbox{\externalfigure[#1]}%
   \!!dimena\wd\scratchbox
   \!!dimenb\ht\scratchbox
   \localframed
     [\????bf]
     [\c!strut=\v!no,
      \c!width=8cm,
      \c!height=6cm,
      #2]
     \bgroup
     \!!dimena\dimexpr\hsize/\!!dimena\relax
     \!!dimenb\dimexpr\vsize/\!!dimenb\relax
     \ifdim\!!dimena>\!!dimenb
       \externalfigure[mill][height=\vsize]
     \else
       \externalfigure[mill][width=\hsize]
     \fi
     \egroup
   \egroup}

\protect

\starttext

\boxfigure[mill][width=8cm,height=2cm]

\boxfigure[mill][width=2cm,height=8cm]

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: fitting a picture to the available space
@ 2008-09-12 10:02   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-09-12 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 6:31 PM, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:06 AM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm pulling my hair out. I'm trying to set up an automatism to fit
>> pictures to the available space on a slide.
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm probably talking about something else, though highly related.
> There's one thing that I often miss on slides:
>
> *Here's a title*
>
> - here are
> - some items
>
> [and I want the picture to fill up all the remaining space on slide]
>
> Or even if there' only title + image. I tried option=max (or something
> similar), but always ended up setting image size manually. Most often
> I got title on one page and image on another (It would be less painful
> to have image on the same page, even if it hangs much over the lower
> border - is there something similar to \placefigure[thispage] option
> (puts the figure on the same page, even if there's no space left)?)
>
> Mojca
>
> [I need to stop asking questions now.]

Quick and dirty:

\showframe

\starttext

\input knuth

\start

\scratchdimen=\pagegoal
\advance\scratchdimen by -\pagetotal
\advance\scratchdimen by -2\lineheight

\blank

\hrule height \scratchdimen\relax

\stop

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: fitting a picture to the available space
@ 2008-09-12 12:37                 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-09-12 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 12, 2008, at 9:14 AM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> You should close the box before you want to get it's dimensions.

:-) That seems like a reasonable suggestion... I had been copy-pasting
and adapting my code.

> \unprotect
>
> \def\????bf{@@@@bf}
>
> \presetlocalframed[\????bf]
>
> \def\boxfigure[#1][#2]%
>  {\bgroup
>   \setbox\scratchbox\hbox{\externalfigure[#1]}%
>   \!!dimena\wd\scratchbox
>   \!!dimenb\ht\scratchbox
>   \localframed
>     [\????bf]
>     [\c!strut=\v!no,
>      \c!width=8cm,
>      \c!height=6cm,
>      #2]
>     \bgroup
>     \!!dimena\dimexpr\hsize/\!!dimena\relax
>     \!!dimenb\dimexpr\vsize/\!!dimenb\relax
>     \ifdim\!!dimena>\!!dimenb
>       \externalfigure[mill][height=\vsize]
>     \else
>       \externalfigure[mill][width=\hsize]
>     \fi
>     \egroup
>   \egroup}
>
> \protect
>
> \starttext
>
> \boxfigure[mill][width=8cm,height=2cm]
>
> \boxfigure[mill][width=2cm,height=8cm]
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

Wow, that looks good! I could adapt this to my circumstances, and it
seems to do exactly what I want! Hans: could something like this be
added to the core? The keywords "max fit broad" for the "factor"
option are already taken, so what about "fill"? But I guess it only
makes sense if we can test and adapt to the current vbox (not
necessarily the page).

Anyway: Wolfgang, thanks a lot, this does exactly what I want!

All best

Thomas

* Re: fitting a picture to the available space
@ 2008-09-12 15:20     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-09-12 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 6:31 PM, Mojca Miklavec
> <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:06 AM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> I'm pulling my hair out. I'm trying to set up an automatism to fit
>>> pictures to the available space on a slide.
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm probably talking about something else, though highly related.
>> There's one thing that I often miss on slides:
>>
>> *Here's a title*
>>
>> - here are
>> - some items
>>
>> [and I want the picture to fill up all the remaining space on slide]
>>
>> Or even if there' only title + image. I tried option=max (or something
>> similar), but always ended up setting image size manually. Most often
>> I got title on one page and image on another (It would be less painful
>> to have image on the same page, even if it hangs much over the lower
>> border - is there something similar to \placefigure[thispage] option
>> (puts the figure on the same page, even if there's no space left)?)
>>
>> Mojca
>>
>> [I need to stop asking questions now.]
>
> Quick and dirty:
>
> \showframe
>
> \starttext
>
> \input knuth
>
> \start
>
> \scratchdimen=\pagegoal
> \advance\scratchdimen by -\pagetotal
> \advance\scratchdimen by -2\lineheight
>
> \blank
>
> \hrule height \scratchdimen\relax
>
> \stop
>
> \stoptext

Thanks a lot! Two new words for my TeX dictionary (\pagegoal,
\pagetotal). Something like this (if packed inside the \placesomething
macro) would be great to have in the core as well.

I'll clone this code from now on :)

Mojca

* Re: fitting a picture to the available space
@ 2008-09-12 15:37       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-09-12 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Thanks a lot! Two new words for my TeX dictionary (\pagegoal,
> \pagetotal). Something like this (if packed inside the \placesomething
> macro) would be great to have in the core as well.

this is actually what factor=max uses (grep for pagegoal in context/base)

hpwever, there is no robust (non intrusive) way to determine the exact
page state (so, in case of using pagetotal, keep additional parskips etc
in mind)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE