* Texlive2008 and updating context
@ 2008-09-29  7:38 Mehdi Omidali
From: Mehdi Omidali @ 2008-09-29  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone,
I have followed any thread about updating context (on Texlive2008 on
ubuntu) and no success yet. After running
sudo ctxtools --updatecontext
and
luatools --generate
everything went smooth. But after

texexec --make --luatex en

I got the following

Should I create the cache path /home/mehdi? [yes|no] [no]

and after pressing Enter I got

fatal error: there is no valid (writable) cache path defined

LuaTools |
LuaTools | runtime: 69.494 seconds
TeXExec | no lua compilations needed
TeXExec |
TeXExec | tex engine path: /home/mehdi/.texlive2008/texmf-config/web2c/luatex
TeXExec |
TeXExec |
TeXExec | runtime: 70.993183

Thanks.

* Re: Texlive2008 and updating context
@ 2008-09-29 10:47 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-09-29 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Mehdi Omidali wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I have followed any thread about updating context (on Texlive2008 on
> ubuntu) and no success yet. After running
> sudo ctxtools --updatecontext

This command doesn't necessary do what you always desire: it puts
ConTeXt to texmf-local. This means that any further updates that you
might try to make with tlmgr (TeX Live manager) will be shielded by
your local copy. That's OK, but you need to be aware that you then
have two copies of ConTeXt on your computer, and the one in
texmf-local will be used.

And there is something that might bite you with this as well. TeX Live
is currently configured so that luatools & mtxrun binaries are taken
from texmf-dist/scripts. If the rest of files comes from texmf-local,
you might end in troubles/incompatibilities between the two versions.
You probably need to fix symlinks of luatools and mtxrun manually.

> and
> luatools --generate
> everything went smooth. But after
>
> texexec --make --luatex en
>
> I got the following
>
> Should I create the cache path /home/mehdi? [yes|no] [no]
>
> and after pressing Enter I got
>
> fatal error: there is no valid (writable) cache path defined

You need to update LuaTeX binary as well. See
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Running_Mark_IV. But there are still
some issues. Namely, you need to fix symlinks of luatools and mtxrun
to point to the proper file. And you might need to remove files in
texmf-local that belong to ConTeXt as a result of "ctxtools
--updatecontext" (it's up to you which tree you want to use; I
overwrite files in texmf-dist with some care).

Mojca

* Re: Texlive2008 and updating context
@ 2008-09-29 10:49   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-09-29 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just forgot to add: the situation with updates is a bit confusing at
the moment, but that's not your fault. Hopefully it will improve soon.

Mojca

@ 2008-09-29 12:03     ` Mehdi Omidali
From: Mehdi Omidali @ 2008-09-29 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Mojca,
I have lutex 0.29 and tried to just copy files from cont-tmf to
texmf-dist but I also got an error that it can not find context.tex.
Could you please tell me which files do you copy to texmf-dist. Seems
that it is a better choice for now.
Thanks

@ 2008-09-29 12:06     ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2008-09-29 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes, please, it is confusing.
On the Wiki different instructions appear
in several places (mkIV, minimals, TeXlive, debian...).
It would be quite nice if somebody who understands
this all could clean-up the instructions, in particular,
structure the information in a clearer fashion.
Thanks.

Alan

@ 2008-09-29 12:59       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-09-29 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> Yes, please, it is confusing.
> On the Wiki different instructions appear
> in several places (mkIV, minimals, TeXlive, debian...).
> It would be quite nice if somebody who understands
> this all could clean-up the instructions,

And also clean up --updatecontext procedure.

I need to finish several things in the following days, but will come
back to it. The confusing info spread all over the wiki definitely
needs to be cleaned up.

Mojca

* Re: Texlive2008 and updating context
@ 2008-09-29 14:03         ` Otared Kavian
From: Otared Kavian @ 2008-09-29 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 29 sept. 08, at 14:59, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

>> […]
>
> And also clean up --updatecontext procedure.
>
> I need to finish several things in the following days, but will come
> back to it. The confusing info spread all over the wiki definitely
> needs to be cleaned up.
>
> Mojca

Hi Mojca,

That's why I didn't put on the wiki the dirty tricks to fix the
problems when trying to update mkiv…
When you need a tester on Mac for your cleaned-up peocedures, please
let me know

Best regards: OK

* Re: Texlive2008 and updating context
@ 2008-09-29 14:52           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-09-29 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 4:03 PM, Otared Kavian wrote:

> When you need a tester on Mac for your cleaned-up peocedures, please
> let me know

Hello Otared,

tlmgr update --all

should now fix symlinks (apart from the fact that if I want to update,
every fifth package fails to update on average, so I need to restart
updating every few minutes). Theoretically that command followed by
rsync-drived updates should work OK now.

I took another look. By "now" I mean that in less than 30 hours
    tlmgr update --list
should return you bin-context version >= 10774.

At the moment of writing this it's still
    bin-context: local: 9789, source: 10592

If already the first command starts complaining about non-existent
texlive.tlpsrc as it did here, I had to do something else:
    tlmgr option location http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008

----------

Norbert has another script almost ready to put TeX Live packages with
ConTeXt betas & latest luatex binaries on the garden, but I have some
other urgent things to do in the following days. After that I'll try
to finish the script ASAP.

After those scripts are ready, something like
    tlmgr -location http://texlive.contextgarden.net/current update --all
should do all the required steps (though it will be far less efficient
than rsync which only downloads the changes, not the entire package).
TL team argued that updates will not be that frequent anyway, and that
people have broadband connections anyway (true in most cases).

Mojca