From: "Mojca Miklavec" <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Mojca, Miktex, and seeming success!
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 23:57:40 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 10:53 PM,  <dwarnold45@suddenlink.net> wrote:
> Mojca,
>
> OK, saw your new post on:
>
> http://blog.miktex.org/post/2008/05/ConTeXt-support.aspx
>
> So, I extracted cont-tfm.zip to c:\Contet, used Miktex2.7->Settings to add it as a Root, refreshed the filename database, but the formats will still not build in Miktext2.7->Settings->Format cont-en.pdftex.
>
> Creating the cont-en.pdftex format file...
> Running pdftex...
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592-1.40.4 (MiKTeX 2.7) (INITEX)
>
> entering extended mode
>
> ("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.7\tex\context\config\cont-en.ini")
>
> ! Emergency stop.
>
> <*> cont-en.ini

You could try to change "cont-en.ini" into "cont-en.tex". I have no
idea what's the difference, but one of the two of you who have
complained about non-working ConTeXt on MikTeX reported that changing
cont-en.ini into cont-en.tex has helped.

> makefmt: pdftex failed on cont-en.ini.
> initexmf.EXE: The operation failed for some reason.

I got that one lots of time as well, but no idea why.

> And my new format attempt won't build either:
>
> ("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.7\tex\context\patterns\lang-hu.pat"
>
> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [pattern memory=300000].
>
> l.1243 ^^c3^^a1h1ors

That one should be solvable, it's only that MikTeX handles those
memory values in some non-standard way.

See this thread:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/miktex-tex-capacity-exceeded-651565/
   http://docs.miktex.org/manual/initexmf.html

I guess that it could be something like
   initexmf --edit-config-file pdftex.cfg

and then you set pattern-memory or pattern_memory to some larger
value. But you would need to google and test.

> Finally, I gave up on trying to use Miktex2.7->Settings to build the formats, opened a DOS box, and typed:
>
> $ texmfstart texexec --make --all

If you create texexec.bat, you don't need to type all that. I never
use texmfstart, only texexec or context.

> I refreshed the filename database, now things seemingly work.
>
> This file:
>
> \starttext
> Hello, World!
> \stoptext
>
> Does compile with:
>
> $ texmfstart texexec --pdf junk.tex
>
> And this file:
>
> input mp-tool
>
> beginfig(1);
>
> numeric u;
> 10u=4in;
>
> drawdblarrow (-5u,0)--(5u,0);
> label.rt(btex $\theta$ etex, (5u,0));
> drawdblarrow (0,-5u)--(0,5u);
> label.top(btex $\phi$ etex, (0,5u));
>
> endfig;
>
> end.
>
> Does compile with:
>
> $ mpost junk.mp
>
> And more importantly, mptopdf now seemingly works, as I can now do:
>
> $ mptopdf junk.1
>
> Which produces junk-1.pdf and opens correctly with the correct fonts.

Great :)

> So, we'll see how this stands up ....
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Still open to further suggestion if any critique of my method.

See above, but if texexec --make works OK, that's fine. There have
been numerous problems with formats in MikTeX and I wasn't sure if
they have been resolved or not.

Mojca