From: "Mojca Miklavec" <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: XeTeX old style numerals
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 23:56:13 +0200	[thread overview]

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 11:19 PM, Jeff Smith wrote:

> \definefontfeature[bodyfeatures][method=node,script=latn,language=dflt,liga=yes,onum=yes,kern=yes,trep=yes,dlig=yes]
>
> I get the onum and dlig working with this, but, like I said, the trep
> doesn't work. If I am not mistaken, it's this feature that makes the
> apostrophe look like the comma. Am I right?

Short answer: tlig, not trep.

Long answer:

See the folder fonts/misc/xetex/fontmapping.

Hans invented tlig and trep as a short word for tex ligatures and tex
replacements. That's still a bit unstable area of ConTeXt, but at the
beginning it indeed included all the replacements and all the
ligatures of Knuthian TeX. But that was too much for my taste (many
useless conversions like `?, `! and all the quotation marks, as well
as some really nasty ones as a side effect: it kept converting grave
accent into quotation mark for example).

With some consensus we decided to keep only three of them: endash,
emdash and apostrophe. In LuaTeX these might still be split (tlig for
endash and emdash and trep for apostrophe). In XeTeX it seemed to much
overhaul to split three replacements into (three :) files, so I made
only a single one: tlig.[map|tec]

You can use it as "mapping=tlig" in plain XeTeX. What ConTeXt does is
a conversion from "tlig=yes" into "mapping=tlig". trep used to map to
tex-text (so did tlig) a while ago, now I guess that it doesn't do
anything at all.

I find it a bit unlucky situation that the behaviour is a bit
different, but introducing a new file trep.map with only a single
replacement would be even more weird & confusing to me.

Mojca