From: "Mojca Miklavec" <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Embedded fonts question
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 11:24:36 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello David,

the only thing that I can tell you: a few days/weeks ago I have
noticed that Adobe Acrobat destroys encodings of documents made by
ConTeXt when I compress the document (in order to reduce size, I tried
to downsample and compress graphics). My first impression as that this
happens because I include some PDF figures that possibly include the
same font, and Acrobat tries to compress the document by using the
same encoding for all fonts. So I get weird characters in place of
ligatures and accented letters. The problem is not easily reproducible
when trying to make a minimal example. (I did not manage to do that
yet.)

This is still on the short-term waiting list for me to figure out
which figure causes problems, though it probably won't help me much,
as it's almost definitely a bug in Acrobat. The only thing I could do
is send the file with minimal example to Adobe and then wait for ages
to resolve that bug (or try to use some other version on another
operating system).

I could easily imagine that the same kind of problem happens in print
shop, where software isn't capable of fully interpreting the PDF you
are sending there.

The same weird kind of problem also happend to my colleague when he
prepared slides in beamer (when 99% do it in Powerpoint, even though
all the slides are full of equations), and then symbols in equations
were completely screwed up (he didn't have his own laptop, and took it
from University) in Adobe reader. Absolutely no idea why this has
happened.

I could suggest you to remove images and ask the printshop to try to
print without images, but you cannot easily experiment with their
printer. Maybe the easiest thing to do would be to try to print
somewhere else.

If there are bugs in software that doesn't depend on you, there's not
much that you could do. LaTeX would most probably cause you the same
problem when using the same font.

Mojca