* bold small caps with latin modern
@ 2008-11-17 20:07 Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-11-17 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt list

Hello

Is it possible to get bold small caps with latin modern and MKIV, and if
yes, how?
I would like to get working this example file:

\starttext
\sc Normal and \bf bold Small Caps.
\stoptext

Thanks in advance for any help, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: bold small caps with latin modern
@ 2008-11-18  3:53 ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-11-18  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

you should apply a font feature to bold font.

@ 2008-11-18 12:55   ` Peter Münster
       [not found]     ` <04DC8C92-A2EA-4792-969E-3C2B2097E57A@gmail.com>
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-11-18 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Nov 18 2008, Yue Wang wrote:

> you should apply a font feature to bold font.

Oh! Cool! Thank you, Yue, you really help!
:-D

Cheers, Peter

--

@ 2008-11-19  8:20       ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-11-19  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt list

On Tue, Nov 18 2008, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>> On Tue, Nov 18 2008, Yue Wang wrote:
>>
>>> you should apply a font feature to bold font.
>>
> This is nonsense, the smallcaps for latin modern are
> a separate font like they had been in computer modern,
> trying to access them with font feature is useless.
>
> Besides this smallcaps are only available for the upright
> and the italic style but not for the bold.

What a pity...

With MKII and texlive, I could do this:

\definebodyfont[15pt,14pt,13pt,12pt,11pt,10pt,9pt,8pt,7pt,6pt,5pt]
    [sc] [bf=cmbcsc10 sa 1, tf=cmcsc10 sa 1]
\pdfpkresolution=1200
\starttext
\sc Normal and \bf bold Small Caps.
\stoptext

But there seems to be no possibility to use bitmap fonts in the minimals.

Once, I've heard about workarounds, for example getting bold by double
printing with some displacement. Would this be possible?

Cheers, Peter

--

@ 2008-11-19 13:48         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-11-19 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 9:20 AM, Peter Münster wrote:

> But there seems to be no possibility to use bitmap fonts in the minimals.

Almost-on-purpose decision. (You can still add some binaries to
minimals yourself.)

> Once, I've heard about workarounds, for example getting bold by double
> printing with some displacement. Would this be possible?

Not by displacement, but you can use \starteffect[outer] in both mkii
and mkiv or some embolden option in XeTeX.

Mojca