* Important: ConTeXt Minimals and --delete/--keep switch
@ 2008-12-01 17:49 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-12-01 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

This is a rather important notice for users of ConTeXt minimals. You
might want to add --keep to ./first-setup.sh

There are some options for which I'm not sure if they should be
enabled by default or not.
The script (mtx-update.lua and consequently the simplistic
./first-setup.sh script) provides two switches:
    --keep and --delete.
The --delete switch deletes all the files that are not part of
distribution. The --keep switch doesn't care about those files (that
have been remove from distribution or that you added) and leaves them
where they are.

Your own files should go to texmf-local that update doesn't touch at all.

Now the important info: if you want your files to be kept, you should
use the --keep switch in ./first-setup.sh. --delete has been
misfunctional for a while, and maybe it should not be kept as the
default option. But as it stands now, it is the default.

Recently there has been a new option added
(--extras=list,of,context,modules), but I would like the option to be
renamed to something more self-explanatory than --extras= (--modules=
for example). You can test if fetching modules works OK, but I would
like to rename the option.

Mojca

(Maybe we should add --cvs-exclude rule to rsync to prevent deleting
kpathsea files and formats.)

* Re: [Context] Important: ConTeXt Minimals and --delete/--keep switch
@ 2008-12-01 18:09 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-12-01 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> (Maybe we should add --cvs-exclude rule to rsync to prevent deleting
> kpathsea files and formats.)

hm, but formats are regenerated anyway so why bother

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-12-01 21:44   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-12-01 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 7:09 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> (Maybe we should add --cvs-exclude rule to rsync to prevent deleting
>> kpathsea files and formats.)
>
> hm, but formats are regenerated anyway so why bother

It depends on user. Format generation takes quite some time. When
there is no ConTeXt version or binary update, I usually don't
regenerate formats at all. (There can be a module update or no update
at all, so I have --make switched off.)

Mojca

* Re: Important: ConTeXt Minimals and --delete/--keep switch
@ 2008-12-07 15:55 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-12-07 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Alan,

(I'm replying to the mailing list since it's a relatively important issue.)

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:

> However, I also discovered that first-setup.sh removes the extra modules

It's not first-setup.sh, but mtx-update.lua that does that since a few days.
--delete switch was disfunctional until then, so Hans fixed it in the
way that makes --delete the default option.

> that I downloaded. I therefore created a local script (update.sh). I would
> post this to the context wiki, but I am not sure that this is indeed the
> correct way of doing things.

The correct way of doing things (either is fine):
a) just modify first-setup.sh to include additional --keep switch
b) put your local modifications to texmf-local
c) use --extras=list,of,modules (I would like to convince Hans to
rename that into --modules=)
d) I'm still not sure whether --delete switch as the default option
makes sense or not (in any case, some patches are needed to show which
files will be removed at least).

Mojca

@ 2008-12-07 18:35   ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2008-12-07 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca,

Thanks so much for your help. When all of this gets sorted out, we need to
update the wiki!

d) I think that it does make sense for --delete to be a default option,
yielding a clean "minimal" installation.

c) I also think that the --extras=list,of,modules is a fine syntax, as this is
intended to include extra modules on top of the minimal installation.
(Your suggestion of "--modules=" might be confusing, as many modules, such as
"bib" or "chemic" to name two that I use, appear to indeed be included as
standard in the minimal installation.)

I tried "./first-setup.sh --extras=lettrine,tikz", however, this seems to be
broken: the extra modules were not downloaded. I then tried "--extras=all" and
now have a "non-minimal minimal" installation with which I'm happy. There
appears, however, to be a bug in mtx-update.lua... but I haven't learned
enough yet about its syntax in order to find the error. Sorry!

a) I don't like the idea of modifying first-setup.sh, as problem would be that
of maintenance as my local version might risk to miss important modifications
made to this file. My preference is therefore to have locally a simple shell
script (update.sh):

rsync -ptv rsync://contextgarden.net/minimals/setup/first-setup.sh .
./first-setup.sh --extras=all

or whatever be ones personal preferences.

b) texmf-local is good for other files that have not yet made it into the
contextgarden (or that will probably not be included). One example of this is
pgfplots.

Finally, documentation is sorely missing. Of course the wiki will need to be
updated. I hesitate always to do this until I feel that I really understand
what is going on. I would also like to see a --help option (to be parsed by
mtx-update.lua).

Alan

@ 2008-12-07 20:35     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-12-07 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 7:35 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> Mojca,
>
> I tried "./first-setup.sh --extras=lettrine,tikz", however, this seems to be
> broken

Try --extras=t-lettrine,t-tikz. (Maybe providing only lettrine and
tikz should also work - it's not that hard to modify the syntax to fix
that.)

> a) I don't like the idea of modifying first-setup.sh, as problem would be
> that of maintenance as my local version might risk to miss important
> modifications made to this file. My preference is therefore to have locally
> a simple shell script (update.sh):

./first-setup.sh is hardly ever modified. mtx-update.lua gets updated.
But sure - you can have your own local version. first-setup.sh is only
an example how to use mtx-update.lua script.

> b) texmf-local is good for other files that have not yet made it into the
> contextgarden (or that will probably not be included). One example of this
> is pgfplots.

That one is not on the "will-not-be-added" list. I just need to take a
fraction of time to figure out how to set up auto-updating it and
which files are needed. It could be packed together with t-tikz, I
guess.

> Finally, documentation is sorely missing.

You mean documentation for mtx-update.lua itself?

> Of course the wiki will need to be
> updated. I hesitate always to do this until I feel that I really understand
> what is going on. I would also like to see a --help option (to be parsed by
> mtx-update.lua).

Doesn't it work for you (I do not claim that it's informative though)?

MtxRun | version 1.1.0 - 2007+ - PRAGMA ADE / CONTEXT | download tools
MtxRun |
MtxRun | --platform=string     platform (windows, linux, linux-64,
osx-intel, osx-ppc, linux-ppc)
MtxRun | --server=string       repository url (rsync://contextgarden.net)
MtxRun | --module=string       repository url (minimals)
MtxRun | --repository=string   specify version (current, experimental)
MtxRun | --context=string      specify version (current, latest, yyyy.mm.dd)
MtxRun | --rsync=string        rsync binary (rsync)
MtxRun | --texroot=string      installation directory (not guessed for
the moment)
MtxRun | --engine=string       tex engine (luatex, pdftex, xetex)
MtxRun | --extras=string       extra modules (can be list or 'all')
MtxRun | --force               instead of a dryrun, do the real thing
MtxRun | --update              update minimal tree
MtxRun | --make                also make formats and generate file databases
MtxRun | --keep                don't delete unused or obsolete files
MtxRun | --state               update tree using saved state

Mojca