* bug in math mode
@ 2009-01-17 11:46 Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-01-17 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Taco:

Last week you invited me to test the trunk version of luatex. Today I
compiled LuaTeX trunk version
(This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.32.0-2009011719, build unknown)
and used first-setup.sh (change --context tag into experimental as
Mojca suggested) to download the ConTeXt
(MtxRun | current version: 2009.01.17 00:15)
distribution. And after compiling one of my thesis, I found there is a
bug in mathmode. I am not sure whether it is a bug in luatex itself or
a bug in ConTeXt.

Yue Wang

[-- Attachment #2: new.tex --]

* Re: bug in math mode
@ 2009-01-17 12:11 ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-01-17 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Hans and Taco:

Sorry for the noise, I think this problem is a typescript bug, not a
luatex bug. since MKII can reproduce that as well. Another similar
problem can be reproduced using the palatino font:

{{\rm d} C\over {\rm d}t} = aPC_{\rm env}+n\epsilon P_{\rm fs} C_{\rm env}

+ {Sc \over V}+ n(1-\epsilon)P_{\rm fs}C

 - (a+n+k) C + RL_{\rm fl}A_{\rm fl}

Yue Wang

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 7:46 PM, Yue Wang <yuleopen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Taco:
>
> Last week you invited me to test the trunk version of luatex. Today I
> compiled LuaTeX trunk version
> (This is LuaTeX, Version snapshot-0.32.0-2009011719, build unknown)
> and used first-setup.sh (change --context tag into experimental as
> Mojca suggested) to download the ConTeXt
> (MtxRun | current version: 2009.01.17 00:15)
> distribution. And after compiling one of my thesis, I found there is a
> bug in mathmode. I am not sure whether it is a bug in luatex itself or
> a bug in ConTeXt.
>
> Yue Wang

* Re: bug in math mode
@ 2009-01-17 13:27   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-01-17 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yue Wang wrote:
> Hi, Hans and Taco:
>

> Sorry for the noise, I think this problem is a typescript bug, not a
> luatex bug. since MKII can reproduce that as well. Another similar
> problem can be reproduced using the palatino font:

The map file (original-youngryu-px.map) seems to be using a wrong
encoding for the virtual bits of pxr.tfm.

Minimals:
   rpxpplr  \
     TeXGyrePagella-Regular "encqrm ReEncodeFont" <q-rm.enc <qplr.pfb

TeXLive:
   rpxpplr  URWPalladioL-Roma   <8r.enc <uplr8a.pfb

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: bug in math mode
@ 2009-01-17 14:20     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-01-17 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Yue Wang wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Hans and Taco:
>>

>> Sorry for the noise, I think this problem is a typescript bug, not a
>> luatex bug. since MKII can reproduce that as well. Another similar
>> problem can be reproduced using the palatino font:
>
> The map file (original-youngryu-px.map) seems to be using a wrong
> encoding for the virtual bits of pxr.tfm.
>
> Minimals:
>  rpxpplr  \
>    TeXGyrePagella-Regular "encqrm ReEncodeFont" <q-rm.enc <qplr.pfb
>
> TeXLive:
>  rpxpplr  URWPalladioL-Roma   <8r.enc <uplr8a.pfb

Hmmm ... I really have no idea who on earth could have screwed up the
encoding in original-youngryu-px.map (& tx) so badly ...

Should we request adding q-8r.enc to TeX Gyre then? I have to admit
that I have no idea when 8r is used, so someone else would need to
help with providing nice arguments to the Polish group (or Hans could
add that encoding to ConTeXt temporary).

Replacing q-rm.enc with 8r.enc probably works in 95% cases, so that
should be a quick fix for now. I get these warnings when trying the
\showfont[rpxpplr] with modified encoding:

tex-gyre/qplr.pfb): glyph `onesuperior' undefined
tex-gyre/qplr.pfb): glyph `threesuperior' undefined
tex-gyre/qplr.pfb): glyph `twosuperior' undefined

but maybe they are not so harmful ...

Yue, thanks a lot for reporting this.

Mojca

* Re: bug in math mode
@ 2009-01-17 15:00       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-01-17 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Should we request adding q-8r.enc to TeX Gyre then? I have to admit
> that I have no idea when 8r is used, so someone else would need to
> help with providing nice arguments to the Polish group (or Hans could
> add that encoding to ConTeXt temporary).

Answering my own question ... if we request the file to be added to
TeX Gyre, we would end up:
- requesting the file
- it will take a few months before a new font version comes out
- and a few more months before the files proliferate
- a few monts later TeX Gyre math will come out
- after that we would request removal of that file again and nobody
will understand why we requested it in the first place

So maybe it's best if Hans adds q-8r.enc to ConTeXt? Perhaps making a
copy of 8r.enc and fixing (one|two|three)superior should do for now?

rpxpplr  TeXGyrePagella-Regular     "encq8r ReEncodeFont" <q-8r.enc <qplr.pfb
rpxpplb  TeXGyrePagella-Bold        "encq8r ReEncodeFont" <q-8r.enc <qplb.pfb
rpxpplri TeXGyrePagella-Italic      "encq8r ReEncodeFont" <q-8r.enc <qplri.pfb
rpxpplbi TeXGyrePagella-BoldItalic  "encq8r ReEncodeFont" <q-8r.enc <qplbi.pfb

Mojca

PS: not that one.superior works with the "fixed" encding that I'm
attaching here, but at least it doesn't complain.

[-- Attachment #2: q-8r.enc --]

% This file could belong to the TeX Gyre collection of fonts,
% but is only needed and thus distributed with ConTeXt macro package.
%
% It provides 8r encoding compatible with TeX Gyre fonts and is used to enable
% substituting Adobe fonts by TeX Gyre in pxfonts & txfonts.
%
/encq8r [
/.notdef
/dotaccent
/fi
/fl
/fraction
/hungarumlaut
/Lslash
/lslash
/ogonek
/ring
/.notdef
/breve
/minus
/.notdef
/Zcaron
/zcaron
/caron
/dotlessi
/dotlessj
/ff
/ffi
/ffl
/notequal
/infinity
/lessequal
/greaterequal
/partialdiff
/summation
/product
/pi
/grave
/quotesingle
/space
/exclam
/quotedbl
/numbersign
/dollar
/percent
/ampersand
/quoteright
/parenleft
/parenright
/asterisk
/plus
/comma
/hyphen
/period
/slash
/zero
/one
/two
/three
/four
/five
/six
/seven
/eight
/nine
/colon
/semicolon
/less
/equal
/greater
/question
/at
/A
/B
/C
/D
/E
/F
/G
/H
/I
/J
/K
/L
/M
/N
/O
/P
/Q
/R
/S
/T
/U
/V
/W
/X
/Y
/Z
/bracketleft
/backslash
/bracketright
/asciicircum
/underscore
/quoteleft
/a
/b
/c
/d
/e
/f
/g
/h
/i
/j
/k
/l
/m
/n
/o
/p
/q
/r
/s
/t
/u
/v
/w
/x
/y
/z
/braceleft
/bar
/braceright
/asciitilde
/.notdef
/Euro
/integral
/quotesinglbase
/florin
/quotedblbase
/ellipsis
/dagger
/daggerdbl
/circumflex
/perthousand
/Scaron
/guilsinglleft
/OE
/Omega
/radical
/approxequal
/.notdef
/.notdef
/.notdef
/quotedblleft
/quotedblright
/bullet
/endash
/emdash
/tilde
/trademark
/scaron
/guilsinglright
/oe
/Delta
/lozenge
/Ydieresis
/.notdef
/exclamdown
/cent
/sterling
/currency
/yen
/brokenbar
/section
/dieresis
/copyright
/ordfeminine
/guillemotleft
/logicalnot
/hyphen
/registered
/macron
/degree
/plusminus
/two.superior
/three.superior
/acute
/mu
/paragraph
/periodcentered
/cedilla
/one.superior
/ordmasculine
/guillemotright
/onequarter
/onehalf
/threequarters
/questiondown
/Agrave
/Aacute
/Acircumflex
/Atilde
/Adieresis
/Aring
/AE
/Ccedilla
/Egrave
/Eacute
/Ecircumflex
/Edieresis
/Igrave
/Iacute
/Icircumflex
/Idieresis
/Eth
/Ntilde
/Ograve
/Oacute
/Ocircumflex
/Otilde
/Odieresis
/multiply
/Oslash
/Ugrave
/Uacute
/Ucircumflex
/Udieresis
/Yacute
/Thorn
/germandbls
/agrave
/aacute
/acircumflex
/atilde
/adieresis
/aring
/ae
/ccedilla
/egrave
/eacute
/ecircumflex
/edieresis
/igrave
/iacute
/icircumflex
/idieresis
/eth
/ntilde
/ograve
/oacute
/ocircumflex
/otilde
/odieresis
/divide
/oslash
/ugrave
/uacute
/ucircumflex
/udieresis
/yacute
/thorn
/ydieresis
] def

* Re: bug in math mode
@ 2009-01-21 19:58         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-01-21 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> Should we request adding q-8r.enc to TeX Gyre then? I have to admit
>> that I have no idea when 8r is used, so someone else would need to
>> help with providing nice arguments to the Polish group (or Hans could
>> add that encoding to ConTeXt temporary).
>
> Answering my own question ... if we request the file to be added to
> TeX Gyre, we would end up:
> - requesting the file
> - it will take a few months before a new font version comes out
> - and a few more months before the files proliferate
> - a few monts later TeX Gyre math will come out
> - after that we would request removal of that file again and nobody
> will understand why we requested it in the first place
>
> So maybe it's best if Hans adds q-8r.enc to ConTeXt? Perhaps making a
> copy of 8r.enc and fixing (one|two|three)superior should do for now?
>
> rpxpplr  TeXGyrePagella-Regular     "encq8r ReEncodeFont" <q-8r.enc <qplr.pfb
> rpxpplb  TeXGyrePagella-Bold        "encq8r ReEncodeFont" <q-8r.enc <qplb.pfb
> rpxpplri TeXGyrePagella-Italic      "encq8r ReEncodeFont" <q-8r.enc <qplri.pfb
> rpxpplbi TeXGyrePagella-BoldItalic  "encq8r ReEncodeFont" <q-8r.enc <qplbi.pfb

i patiently wait till you tell me what to add/remove/patch

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE