From: Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>
Subject: setuptex changes in minimals (was: bugs in beta)
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 13:19:11 +0200	[thread overview]

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 11:46, Yanrui Li wrote:

> Recently I have found some environment variables in setuptex script
> are commented out sometimes, such as TEXMFLOCAL, TEXMFCONTEXT and so
> on. Is this be done deliberately?

Yes (we were bored during some Polish talks at BachoTeX).

The reason for setuptex setting all those variables in the old days
was to override tetex's environmental variables, but in principle this
is not needed at all unless tetex is present on computer. The reason
for removing them again was to make sure that Hans' scripts work
properly even when no environmental variable is set (which will be the
case on TeX Live for example).

The only variable change that's really needed is fixing PATH, but it's
so convenient to be able to run
    ". /path/to/setuptex"
instead of typing the long
    export PATH="/path/to/minimals/bin:$PATH"

We nevertheless left two or three variables since ConTeXt didn't yet
work properly without them, but we'll remove those as well.

If anyone uses minimals on tetex, we can create an additional file
again that would enable complete isolation.

We didn't clean up the windows script yet as it would need some more
testing (and we had enough problem by minimals not running at all on
unix), but that's still on TODO list ...

We also silently added TEXMFHOME (while Hans was not watching), but
maybe we need to change the exact path.

If you have any particular question or request about that, let us know.

Mojca