* New module t-zhspacing
@ 2009-05-11 14:55 Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-05-11 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list:

Chinese TeX Society is proud to announce the t-zhspacing module to the
ConTeXt society.
The module is developed by Yue Wang based on Yin Dian's zhspacing.sty
macro package and Jonathan Kew's unicode-letters.tex + xetex
interchartoks mechanism.
It is designed for the audience who interested perfect Chinese
typesetting using ConTeXt and XeTeX.
It handles Chinese font loading, switching, line breaking, and
punctuation compression rules quite well.
Moreover, since the freetype's performance is much better than
fontforge's on large cjk fonts, so the document compilation can be
much faster.
Users are free to visit http://code.google.com/p/ctex-kit/, and the
code is in svn  (the trunk/zhspacing directory) now.
Last but not least, we should thank Hans and Wolfgang since they help
us a lot to make the module possible :)

Yue Wang

* Re: New module t-zhspacing
@ 2009-05-11 15:12 ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-05-11 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

now the module uses \switchtobodyfont[foobar] to switch the typeface
which is not fast enough. in fact \foobar is the right way. I will
make a commit tomorrow to speed up the font switching.

By the way, After I finish the module, who should I turn to for submitting?
Hans, the garden, or CTAN? Thanks.
If Hans or the garden are the right person/place for submitting, are
there some coding/documentation rules to follow? Thanks.

Yue Wang

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:55 PM, Yue Wang <yuleopen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear list:
>
> Chinese TeX Society is proud to announce the t-zhspacing module to the
> ConTeXt society.
> The module is developed by Yue Wang based on Yin Dian's zhspacing.sty
> macro package and Jonathan Kew's unicode-letters.tex + xetex
> interchartoks mechanism.
> It is designed for the audience who interested perfect Chinese
> typesetting using ConTeXt and XeTeX.
> It handles Chinese font loading, switching, line breaking, and
> punctuation compression rules quite well.
> Moreover, since the freetype's performance is much better than
> fontforge's on large cjk fonts, so the document compilation can be
> much faster.
> Users are free to visit http://code.google.com/p/ctex-kit/, and the
> code is in svn  (the trunk/zhspacing directory) now.
> Last but not least, we should thank Hans and Wolfgang since they help
> us a lot to make the module possible :)
>
> Yue Wang

* Re: New module t-zhspacing
@ 2009-05-11 15:21   ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-05-11 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 11 May 2009, Yue Wang wrote:

> By the way, After I finish the module, who should I turn to for submitting?
> Hans, the garden, or CTAN? Thanks.

Submit it to the garden. If you also want it on CTAN, you can ask Mojca or
Patrick to sync the module with CTAN. Then whenever you make a change in
the module, it will be automatically synced with ctan and you do not have
to worry about submitting to multiple locations.

> If Hans or the garden are the right person/place for submitting, are
> there some coding/documentation rules to follow? Thanks.

The module should be in TDS (TeX directory structure). You also need to
create a tpm file (see the bib module for example). Then you can just run

textools --tpmmake <your-module>

which will create a zip file that you can upload.

Aditya

* Re: New module t-zhspacing
@ 2009-05-11 15:36     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-05-11 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 17:21, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Mon, 11 May 2009, Yue Wang wrote:
>
>> By the way, After I finish the module, who should I turn to for
>> submitting?
>> Hans, the garden, or CTAN? Thanks.
>
> Submit it to the garden. If you also want it on CTAN, you can ask Mojca or
> Patrick to sync the module with CTAN. Then whenever you make a change in the
> module, it will be automatically synced with ctan and you do not have to
> worry about submitting to multiple locations.

One question before I add further suggestions: what's your relation to
the author of zhspacing.sty?

Your module depends on it, so in a way it would make sense to package
it together on CTAN and TeX Live, but if you have no connection to the
author, one needs to make sure that the right bits and pieces end up
in the right place.

Not too related, but: do you have any idea why this file is located
under doc in TeX Live?
     texmf-doc/doc/chinese/lshort-chinese/src/zhspacing.sty

Well, OK, it's on lshort/chinese/src/ on CTAN, but I wonder if
kpathsea finds the file at all. It looks like a slightly misplaced
file to me, but I may be wrong.

Mojca

* Re: New module t-zhspacing
@ 2009-05-11 16:25       ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-05-11 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Mojca:

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 11:36 PM, Mojca Miklavec
<mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 17:21, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 May 2009, Yue Wang wrote:
>>
>>> By the way, After I finish the module, who should I turn to for
>>> submitting?
>>> Hans, the garden, or CTAN? Thanks.
>>
>> Submit it to the garden. If you also want it on CTAN, you can ask Mojca or
>> Patrick to sync the module with CTAN. Then whenever you make a change in the
>> module, it will be automatically synced with ctan and you do not have to
>> worry about submitting to multiple locations.
>
> One question before I add further suggestions: what's your relation to
> the author of zhspacing.sty?

We are good friends.

> Your module depends on it, so in a way it would make sense to package
> it together on CTAN and TeX Live, but if you have no connection to the
> author, one needs to make sure that the right bits and pieces end up
> in the right place.

well, zhspacing is free software. so I am free to make any changes I
want and redistribute that as long as I leave the original license
information, not to say we (yindian and me) are good friends. (In
fact, some parts of zhspacing's initial idea was suggested by me.
since yindian is good at tex macro programming, so he developed the
whole package base on the idea all by himself)

> Not too related, but: do you have any idea why this file is located
> under doc in TeX Live?
>     texmf-doc/doc/chinese/lshort-chinese/src/zhspacing.sty

yindian submitted the package to CTAN. but later some minor bugs were
found but he was quite busy and did not have time to maintain the
package. So  he asked the CTAN maintainer to remove that package. But
it is a useful package, so when the Chinese TeX Society plan to
translate lshort into Chinese, the document translator planned to use
that macro package, and that file is included in lshort-chinese
package.

> Well, OK, it's on lshort/chinese/src/ on CTAN, but I wonder if
> kpathsea finds the file at all. It looks like a slightly misplaced
> file to me, but I may be wrong.

Now Chinese TeX Society take over the development of zhspacing, xeCJK,
CJKpunct and ctex package. They are hosted on
code.google.com/p/ctex-kit. After a major release, we will submit all
the packages to CTAN. So in TeXLive 2009 you can find these packages
in texmf-dist.

> Mojca

* Re: New module t-zhspacing
@ 2009-05-11 16:26     ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2009-05-11 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Aditya:

Thank you very much for the information. I will do that once I freeze the code.

Yue Wang

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 11:21 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adityam@umich.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 May 2009, Yue Wang wrote:
>
>> By the way, After I finish the module, who should I turn to for
>> submitting?
>> Hans, the garden, or CTAN? Thanks.
>
> Submit it to the garden. If you also want it on CTAN, you can ask Mojca or
> Patrick to sync the module with CTAN. Then whenever you make a change in the
> module, it will be automatically synced with ctan and you do not have to
> worry about submitting to multiple locations.
>
>> If Hans or the garden are the right person/place for submitting, are
>> there some coding/documentation rules to follow? Thanks.
>
> The module should be in TDS (TeX directory structure). You also need to
> create a tpm file (see the bib module for example). Then you can just run
>
> textools --tpmmake <your-module>
>
> which will create a zip file that you can upload.
>
> Aditya

* Re: New module t-zhspacing
@ 2009-05-11 17:36 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-05-11 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.05.2009 um 16:55 schrieb Yue Wang:

> Dear list:
>
> Chinese TeX Society is proud to announce the t-zhspacing module to the
> ConTeXt society.
> The module is developed by Yue Wang based on Yin Dian's zhspacing.sty
> macro package and Jonathan Kew's unicode-letters.tex + xetex
> interchartoks mechanism.
> It is designed for the audience who interested perfect Chinese
> typesetting using ConTeXt and XeTeX.
> It handles Chinese font loading, switching, line breaking, and
> punctuation compression rules quite well.
> Moreover, since the freetype's performance is much better than
> fontforge's on large cjk fonts, so the document compilation can be
> much faster.
> Users are free to visit http://code.google.com/p/ctex-kit/, and the
> code is in svn  (the trunk/zhspacing directory) now.

After taking a closer look in zhspacing.sty I think it's better to
include
the code in your t-zhspacing module and to replace a lot of macros with
their ConTeXT equivalent (e.g. \@for...\do.. with \processcommalist).

The content from unicode-letters.tex should also be moved to a separate
file (e.g. t-zhspacing-unicode.tex) which can be removed when the
information
is added to char-def.lua.

Wolfgang