* lost curved left quotes
       [not found] <297ee2eb0907271641m51afc40ahd5ceba49c3480fd@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-08-04 15:27 ` Ciro Soto
From: Ciro Soto @ 2009-08-04 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: context

I am resending this just in case it got lost when the server was down.

Hi all,
Somehow my left quotes are straight, not curved as my right quotes.
How could I make them curved?
(I am using `` for the left quotes, and '' for the right quotes.)
(If I use \quotation {qwerty}  I get the curved quotes in both sides)

thank you in advanced

Ciro

-- Links of your interest:
http://www-personal.engin.umd.umich.edu/~cirosoto/
http://www.TheGuitarMakerExploration.com<http://www.theguitarmakerexploration.com/>
http://www.myspace.com/sotoaguirre

* Re: lost curved left quotes
@ 2009-08-04 16:47   ` Derek CORDEIRO
From: Derek CORDEIRO @ 2009-08-04 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Ciro Soto <ciro@kavyata.com> wrote:

> I am resending this just in case it got lost when the server was down.
>

> Hi all,
> Somehow my left quotes are straight, not curved as my right quotes.
> How could I make them curved?
> (I am using `` for the left quotes, and '' for the right quotes.)
> (If I use \quotation {qwerty}  I get the curved quotes in both sides)

I think thats the way Mk IV is supposed to be, you could type the “double
quotes” in from your keyboard. Using texexec(Mk II) you should get the old
behavior, i.e. `` = “

Regards,
Derek

P.S. This is all I could find on the above subject.

* Re: lost curved left quotes
@ 2009-08-04 17:29     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-08-04 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 18:47, Derek CORDEIRO wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Ciro Soto wrote:
>>
>> I am resending this just in case it got lost when the server was down.
>>

>> Hi all,
>> Somehow my left quotes are straight, not curved as my right quotes.
>> How could I make them curved?
>> (I am using `` for the left quotes, and '' for the right quotes.)
>> (If I use \quotation {qwerty}  I get the curved quotes in both sides)
>
> I think thats the way Mk IV is supposed to be, you could type the “double
> quotes” in from your keyboard.

> Using texexec(Mk II) you should get the old
> behavior, i.e. `` = “

True, but one should nevertheless better use \quotation{...} or
“double quotes” both in MKII and MKIV. The MKII behaviour is a hack
that works with Latin Modern (as it did in Computer Modern). The
reason why it works is that there are hacky ligatures in that font. If
you were using any other font, you would not get the "curly" quotes
(but you probably wouldn't dare generating tfm files yourself, so you
would never notice that). People that do generate tfm files make sure
to artificially add those ligatures.

MKIV has deliberately chosen no to support that hackery ***. There are
three exceptions though:
- endash (--) and emdash (---)
- apostrophe (')
since we all agreed that those are still hard enough to type or at
least hard enough to distinguish (esp. the dashes in monospace font)
even if they do have their own Unicode codepoint.

Mojca

*** partially also because of another ugly overlap or coincidence;
namely -- grave accent and ` share the same codepoint in Unicode, so
it would be impossible to support both placing grave accent and
automatic "conversion" of ` into curly quotes at the same time; TeX
fonts use two different characters for that)