* What color is "screen"?
@ 2009-08-19 15:47 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-08-19 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

a half-philosophical question (not too relevant).

I was wondering: what color exactly is the "screen"
(\framed[background=screen]{...})? Or is it a special effect maybe?

I know that using it has long been deprecated, but I used it in many
older documents as it was easiest to remember without having to think
what shade of gray to use to make the highlights in document come out
nice.

But I just figured out that it became invisible on my screen. One can
still see it very very faintly if computer screen is under some weird
angle, but a normal glimpse shows nothing. When printed it usually
comes out with a rather high contrast. (It may be that I have just
changed screen contrast by accident.)

I was trying to find the revent line with color, but I don't find it. I noticed
grph-fig.mkii:      \c!backgroundscreen=.8,
but 0.8 is definitely higher that used in documents by default.

Thanks,
    Mojca

* Re: What color is "screen"?
@ 2009-08-19 15:59 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-08-19 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 19.08.2009 um 17:47 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:

> Hello,
>
> a half-philosophical question (not too relevant).
>
> I was wondering: what color exactly is the "screen"
> (\framed[background=screen]{...})? Or is it a special effect maybe?

screen are gray scales, e.g. gray is defined as \definecolor[gray][s=.9]
and backgroundscreen was a mechanism to change the s value without
defining
a new color value

> I know that using it has long been deprecated, but I used it in many
> older documents as it was easiest to remember without having to think
> what shade of gray to use to make the highlights in document come out
> nice.

in this case it would be convient to add \definecolor[screen][s=.95]
(value taken from pack-rul.mkii) to colo-rgb

Wolfgang

* Re: What color is "screen"?
@ 2009-08-19 19:55   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-08-19 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 17:59, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 19.08.2009 um 17:47 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> a half-philosophical question (not too relevant).
>>
>> I was wondering: what color exactly is the "screen"
>> (\framed[background=screen]{...})? Or is it a special effect maybe?
>
> screen are gray scales, e.g. gray is defined as \definecolor[gray][s=.9]
> and backgroundscreen was a mechanism to change the s value without defining
> a new color value
>
>> I know that using it has long been deprecated, but I used it in many
>> older documents as it was easiest to remember without having to think
>> what shade of gray to use to make the highlights in document come out
>> nice.
>
> in this case it would be convient to add \definecolor[screen][s=.95]

Oh, thanks. I found it now.
\setupscreens
  [\c!screen=0.95]
I was just too blind to find it before.

> (value taken from pack-rul.mkii) to colo-rgb

I was thinking about that as well. Having a "screen" color would be
nice for those who got used to the old name.

Mojca

In the meantime I figured it out what has happened with the "screen"
color on my display. TextMate uses Alt-Command-. for auto-completion
of "\stopwhatevercommandhasbeenstarted" in ConTeXt (an extremely
useful feature).
But Mac uses Ctrl-Alt-Command-. to increase the contrast of display.
So apparently I accidentally hit Ctrl several times without noticing
or bothering (and without knowing how to switch back), but enough to
make "95% white" disappear.