From: Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: \sometxt inside functions
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 11:43:13 +0200	[thread overview]

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 10:53, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Aug 2009, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> Hello Hans,
>>
>> is there some simple command to make the following work (in MKII)?
>> (I accept "Not interested since it works in mkiv" as a valid answer :)
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> % makes sure that textext("") works; is there an equivalent for \sometxt?
>
> From what I understand about \sometxt in mkii, I don't think that something
> like \forceMPTEXcheck can work for \sometxt. If drawA always draws the same
> string, you can use \TeXtextts (see your MyWay on sometxt ;).

:P

> \startTeXtexts
>  \TeXtext{1000}{right}
> \stopTeXtexts

I was blindly trying to optimize some old code that I need to reuse,
but I guess I'll just leave the btex ... etex there for a moment (or
just overlay text multiple times; it's used a finite number of times,
so I can live with that) :)

I am (or was) mainly using \TeXtext{}{} for dynamic strings (generated
by external TeX loop). I have never tried any static string inside
subroutine so far, so I completely forgot if there's a way to do it or
not.

For example, the following code works as expected (which kind of surprizes me):

\startMPinclusions
picture a;
\stopMPinclusions

\startMPcode
draw fullcircle scaled 3cm;
draw \sometxt{abc};
a := currentpicture;
draw a shifted (4cm,0);
\stopMPcode

as opposed to

\startMPinclusions
picture a;
draw fullcircle scaled 3cm;
draw \sometxt{abc};
a := currentpicture;
\stopMPinclusions

\startMPcode
draw a;
draw a shifted (4cm,0);
\stopMPcode

that only transfers image, but no text.

But when thinking about it, there might be a good reason that text is
not transferred from MPinclusions to MPcode. If I would change font
between MPinclusions and MPcode ...

Anyway ... no time to lose extra time on that issue now.

>> This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.43.0-2009081911
>> ConTeXt  ver: 2009.08.19 17:10 MKIV
>
> Works fine here with
>
> This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.43.0-2009081914
> ConTeXt  ver: 2009.08.19 17:10 MKIV  fmt: 2009.8.21  int: english/english

Am I always the only one with a broken distribution? :P

Is there any link with installation instructions for minimals? :) :) :)

Mojca

PS: I tried to install from scratch and it indeed works. I tried to
delete the whole cache in the old installation and it is still broken.
The installation script is supposed to remove any old files with a few
exceptions. This might be an alarm that I need to fix something (maybe
not only on my machine, but also on the server), but I have no idea
yet what else could go wrong (I will try to inspect in September
unless someone else has some idea).