* MKIV and externaligure inside metafun
@ 2009-08-28 11:24 Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-08-28 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Hans,

nothing urgent (I'm still on MKII), but it seems that MKIV (maybe only
on my machine?) has problems with
    externalfigure("filename.png")

Mojca

* Re: MKIV and externaligure inside metafun
@ 2009-08-28 11:29 ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]   ` <6faad9f00908280447y55a06898x405aa06abb54f8ef@mail.gmail.com>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-08-28 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Hello Hans,
>
> nothing urgent (I'm still on MKII), but it seems that MKIV (maybe only
> on my machine?) has problems with
>     externalfigure("filename.png")

maybe a library problem?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

       [not found]         ` <4A97E818.6070909@wxs.nl>
@ 2009-08-28 14:44           ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-08-28 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 16:22, Hans Hagen wrote:

> pdftex and luatex process your file ok

OK, so it's again "my computer only" problem :) :) :)

Well, never mind then. If it works for you then it probably works on
at least a few more machines, or will start working with the next
major release at least. Thanks a lot for looking into it.

(I used the "thought-it-was-working" installation this time, not with
the old and broken one.)

> color viewing is somewhat different, maybe because of some resource
> initialization

I remember similar problem a while ago due to some transparency being
used on the same page (but at that time you said it was a bug in adobe
reader).

Thank you,

@ 2009-08-28 15:00             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-08-28 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> I remember similar problem a while ago due to some transparency being
> used on the same page (but at that time you said it was a bug in adobe
> reader).

i suspect that they use a different color renderer when extgstates are set

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-08-28 15:36             ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2009-08-28 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec schrieb:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 16:22, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> pdftex and luatex process your file ok
>>

> OK, so it's again "my computer only" problem :) :) :)
>
> Well, never mind then. If it works for you then it probably works on
> at least a few more machines, or will start working with the next
> major release at least. Thanks a lot for looking into it.
>
> (I used the "thought-it-was-working" installation this time, not with
> the old and broken one.)
>

>> color viewing is somewhat different, maybe because of some resource
>> initialization
>>

> I remember similar problem a while ago due to some transparency being
> used on the same page (but at that time you said it was a bug in adobe
> reader).

Hi Mojca,

wrong colors (or what is the problem here)?

Peter

@ 2009-08-28 15:57               ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-08-28 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 17:36, Peter Rolf wrote:

> Hi Mojca,
>
> wrong colors (or what is the problem here)?

On my machine

\startMPcode
externalfigure("filename.png");
\stopMPcode

doesn't work in MKIV at all. On Hans' machine it generates weird
colors (though not that much wrong). I can send you an example, but I
guess that it behaves the same way with any png image.

But I would not worry too much. My installation is always broken when
it works for everyone else :) :) :)

@ 2009-08-28 16:13                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-08-28 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 17:36, Peter Rolf wrote:
>> Hi Mojca,
>>
>> wrong colors (or what is the problem here)?
>
> On my machine
>
> \startMPcode
> externalfigure("filename.png");
> \stopMPcode
>
> doesn't work in MKIV at all. On Hans' machine it generates weird
> colors (though not that much wrong). I can send you an example, but I
> guess that it behaves the same way with any png image.
>
> But I would not worry too much. My installation is always broken when
> it works for everyone else :) :) :)

ah, so now er're talking of mp code

i bet it works, but that you don't see the small image ...

\startMPcode
externalfigure("filename.png") scaled 10cm ;
\stopMPcode

(actually in mkiv i could default to the natural size)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-08-28 16:16                 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-08-28 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 17:57, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 17:36, Peter Rolf wrote:
>>
>> Hi Mojca,
>>
>> wrong colors (or what is the problem here)?
>
> On my machine
>
> \startMPcode
> externalfigure("filename.png");
> \stopMPcode
>
> doesn't work in MKIV at all. On Hans' machine it generates weird
> colors (though not that much wrong). I can send you an example, but I
> guess that it behaves the same way with any png image.
>
> But I would not worry too much. My installation is always broken when
> it works for everyone else :) :) :)

I guess that I give up.

It started working now for no particular reason (no change in files,
no change in my installation).

And the colors are fine as well.

My only explanation is that I had a broken png file at some moment and
even if I tried to proccess it again, luatex still thought that png
was broken (maybe luatex caches images somewhere?).

@ 2009-08-28 16:20                   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-08-28 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> I guess that I give up.

whow, you giving up?

> It started working now for no particular reason (no change in files,
> no change in my installation).

well, you'r laptop is somewhat randomly working anyway so ...

> And the colors are fine as well.
>
> My only explanation is that I had a broken png file at some moment and
> even if I tried to proccess it again, luatex still thought that png
> was broken (maybe luatex caches images somewhere?).

no caching, why should it

if i were you, i'd start worying about my disk

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-08-28 16:21                     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-08-28 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> if i were you, i'd start worying about my disk

or the display ...

* Re: MKIV and externaligure inside metafun
@ 2009-08-28 16:33                   ` Peter Rolf
From: Peter Rolf @ 2009-08-28 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec schrieb:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 17:57, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 17:36, Peter Rolf wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mojca,
>>>
>>> wrong colors (or what is the problem here)?
>>>
>> On my machine
>>
>> \startMPcode
>> externalfigure("filename.png");
>> \stopMPcode
>>
>> doesn't work in MKIV at all. On Hans' machine it generates weird
>> colors (though not that much wrong). I can send you an example, but I
>> guess that it behaves the same way with any png image.
>>
>> But I would not worry too much. My installation is always broken when
>> it works for everyone else :) :) :)
>>

> I guess that I give up.
>
> It started working now for no particular reason (no change in files,
> no change in my installation).
>
> And the colors are fine as well.
>
> My only explanation is that I had a broken png file at some moment and
> even if I tried to proccess it again, luatex still thought that png
> was broken (maybe luatex caches images somewhere?).

My only explanation: Hans has direct access to your harddisk and changes
things silently in the background.... :D

@ 2009-08-28 16:51                     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-08-28 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Rolf wrote:

> My only explanation: Hans has direct access to your harddisk and changes
> things silently in the background.... :D

ok, this was supposed to be a secret, but indeed taco and i can log into
her time capsule device and move her back- and forward in time depending
on how much we mess up luatex; unfortunately we could not foresee that
it would broke her beloved mac

(maybe we should start a 'new laptop for mojca project')

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-08-28 17:20                       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-08-28 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 18:51, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Peter Rolf wrote:
>
>> My only explanation: Hans has direct access to your harddisk and changes
>> things silently in the background.... :D
>
> ok, this was supposed to be a secret, but indeed taco and i can log into her
> time capsule device and move her back- and forward in time depending on how
> much we mess up luatex; unfortunately we could not foresee that it would
> broke her beloved mac
>
> (maybe we should start a 'new laptop for mojca project')

The "project" has already been successful. Apple will send me a free
replacement as soon as I come to Germany (Slovenia is not listed on
their World map).

As as consequence someone else will have to start providing Mac ppc
binaries next month since their new OS most probably doesn't support
cross-compiling for ppc any more.

Mojca