* Problems with inner products
@ 2009-09-05  0:10 Guilherme P. de Freitas
From: Guilherme P. de Freitas @ 2009-09-05  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everybody,

I am trying to define a command for inner products. I would like to
type $\innerprod{x, y}$ and obtain in the output <x, y>. Now, I
defined

\define[2]\innerprod
  {\langle #1, #2 \rangle}

but then, when I used the command, I got some weird behavior: the next
character after "y" would "jump in" the inner product. For example,
when writing

$\innerprod{x, y} + z$

I was hoping to obtain as an output

<x, y> + z

But I got as an output

<x, y +> z

I am using the ConTeXt that came with MacTeX 2008 (I downloaded it a
few days ago).

Best,

Guilherme

--
Guilherme P. de Freitas
http://www.gpfreitas.com

* Re: Problems with inner products
@ 2009-09-05  7:35 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-09-05  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 02:10, Guilherme P. de Freitas wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I am trying to define a command for inner products. I would like to
> type $\innerprod{x, y}$ and obtain in the output <x, y>. Now, I
> defined
>
> \define[2]\innerprod
>  {\langle #1, #2 \rangle}

If you define it that way then you have to use
    \innerprod{x}{y}+z

If you want to use it the way you described below then use just
    \define[1]\innerprod
        {\langle #1 \rangle}
or something like
    \def\innerprod#1{\left\langle#1\right\rangle}

> but then, when I used the command, I got some weird behavior: the next
> character after "y" would "jump in" the inner product. For example,
> when writing
>
> $\innerprod{x, y} + z$
>
> I was hoping to obtain as an output
>
> <x, y> + z
>
> But I got as an output
>
> <x, y +> z
>
> I am using the ConTeXt that came with MacTeX 2008 (I downloaded it a
> few days ago).

This doesn't prevent the fact that ConTeXt that came with it is old ;) :) :)

But keep using it as long as it works for you. If you will ever need
some kind of support (fixing a bug) then you'll probably need to
switch to a newer version of ConTeXt.

MacTeX 2009 is out already (for testing), but that doesn't make much
difference (last time when I checked ConTeXt has not been updated in
TeX Live yet ... and I wonder what exactly will be done; the version
of LuaTeX that comes with TeX Live is not compatible with current
version of ConTeXt; and pdftex version is considered history ... That
means that no matter what version of ConTeXt will be used for TL, it
will be either too old and unsupported or disfunctional.)

Mojca