* Intro to Luatex
@ 2009-08-29 21:35 John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2009-08-29 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luatex has a lot of features that Context doesn't. Where is the best
place to start learning about it?
--
John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters

* Re: Intro to Luatex
@ 2009-08-29 22:01 ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد @ 2009-08-29 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 15:35:33 -0600, John Culleton <john@wexfordpress.com>
wrote:

> Luatex has a lot of features that Context doesn't. Where is the best
> place to start learning about it?

Category mistake: luatex is an engine, like pdftex and xetex :-)

luatex is one of three official engines that context can use:

MkII: pdftex,xetex
MkIV: luatex

MkII is frozen afaik: MkIV is the main development branch. Eventually MkIV
will _be_ Context for all practical purposes.

The most obvious thing MkIV gives you at the moment is advanced control of
OpenType fonts. For developers, lua provides advanced scripting and
extensibility. see also

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Mark_IV
http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mk.pdf

Best wishes
Idris

International Journal of Shi`i Studies
Department of Philosophy
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO 80523

* Re: Intro to Luatex
@ 2009-08-31 17:37 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-08-31 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 11:35 PM, John Culleton<john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> Luatex has a lot of features that Context doesn't. Where is the best
> place to start learning about it?
For example ?

--
luigi

* Re: Intro to Luatex
@ 2009-09-02 13:50   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2009-09-02 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday 31 August 2009 13:37:04 luigi scarso wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 11:35 PM, John
Culleton<john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> > Luatex has a lot of features that Context doesn't. Where is
the best
> > place to start learning about it?
>
> For example ?
>
> --
> luigi

It appears to me that there are significant changes to the font
handling in Luatex.  There may be other changes.  I am looking for
any comprehensive guidance that would supplement or even
supplant the 2001 Context documentation for users.
--
John Culleton

* Re: Intro to Luatex
@ 2009-09-02 14:27     ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-09-02 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009, John Culleton wrote:

> It appears to me that there are significant changes to the font
> handling in Luatex.  There may be other changes.  I am looking for
> any comprehensive guidance that would supplement or even
> supplant the 2001 Context documentation for users.

For fonts see the chapters of the new manual.

http://context.aanhet.net/svn/contextman/context-reference/en/co-typography.pdf
http://context.aanhet.net/svn/contextman/context-reference/en/co-fonts.pdf

Aditya

* Re: Intro to Luatex
@ 2009-09-02 22:02     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-09-02 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 3:50 PM, John Culleton<john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> On Monday 31 August 2009 13:37:04 luigi scarso wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 11:35 PM, John
> Culleton<john@wexfordpress.com> wrote:
>> > Luatex has a lot of features that Context doesn't. Where is
> the best
>> > place to start learning about it?
>>
>> For example ?
>>
>> --
>> luigi
>
> It appears to me that there are significant changes to the font
> handling in Luatex.  There may be other changes.
Yes, unicode for example.
I believe that you are making a comparison between pdftex+context mkii
and luatex
It's wrong .
The right comparison is between pdftex+context mkii,
xetex+mkii,
luatex+mkiv

--
luigi

* Re: Intro to Luatex
@ 2009-09-04 21:08   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2009-09-04 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context
  Cc: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس
	سماوي حامد

On Saturday 29 August 2009 18:01:41 Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس
سماوي حامد wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 15:35:33 -0600, John Culleton
<john@wexfordpress.com>

> wrote:
> > Luatex has a lot of features that Context doesn't. Where is
the best
> > place to start learning about it?
>
> Category mistake: luatex is an engine, like pdftex and xetex :-)
>
> luatex is one of three official engines that context can use:
>
> MkII: pdftex,xetex
> MkIV: luatex
>
> MkII is frozen afaik: MkIV is the main development branch.
Eventually MkIV
> will _be_ Context for all practical purposes.
>
> The most obvious thing MkIV gives you at the moment is
advanced control of
> OpenType fonts. For developers, lua provides advanced
scripting and
> extensibility. see also
>
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Mark_IV
> http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mk.pdf
>
> Best wishes
> Idris

Simple question: using xetex style \font statements how do I get
curly quotes from
texexec --xtx book.tex?

Is the answer different for
texexec --lua book.tex?

--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"

* Re: Intro to Luatex
@ 2009-09-05  9:32     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-09-05  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

2009/9/4 John Culleton:

> Simple question: using xetex style \font statements how do I get
> curly quotes from
> texexec --xtx book.tex?
>
> Is the answer different for
> texexec --lua book.tex?

Do you mean \quotation{something} that should work out of the box or
the curly quote as in "I'm"? If you are talking about the "I'm" case:
1.) in XeTeX you need to use \font\a="Font Name;mapping=tlig" (or
mapping=tex-text, but it might be that tex-text is missing in
minimals; not sure).
2.) It's differet in luatex, but I don't know it by heart; it
something like \font\a=fontname*default (or fontname*myfeatures + you
need to define trep=yes in myfeatures:
\definefontfeature[myfeatures][tlig=yes,trep=yes]). But please wait
for a better answer and explanation.

Mojca