* virtual fonts in luatex?
@ 2009-09-30 19:37 Thomas A. Schmitz
       [not found] ` <200910160955.19746.alan.braslau@cea.fr>
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-09-30 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

Hi all,

I'm running into a problem, but maybe not all hope is lost. For my
Greek stuff, I will sometimes need a "dotbelowcomb" accent. Only very
few fonts have that, but no problem, in mkiv, I can simply take that
from a follback font:

\definefontfallback [GreekFallback] [name:texgyretermesregular]
[0x0323] [force=no,check=no]

Now I would like to remap the exclam character to this dotbelowcom.
Again, no problem: with a fea file, I can write a sub rule

sub exclam by dotbelowcomb

but I can't combine both approaches: if the font doesn't have the
character, I get an error about "invalid glyph index." In good old
pdftex, it was possible to define a virtual font for such occasions,
and I seem to remember that there's something similar in mkiv, but I'm
unsure how it can be done. Any pointers?

Thanks, and all best

Thomas

* Re: virtual fonts in luatex?
@ 2009-10-01  7:48 ` Taco Hoekwater
       [not found] ` <200910160955.19746.alan.braslau@cea.fr>
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-10-01  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm running into a problem, but maybe not all hope is lost. For my Greek
> stuff, I will sometimes need a "dotbelowcomb" accent. Only very few
> fonts have that, but no problem, in mkiv, I can simply take that from a
> follback font:
>
> \definefontfallback [GreekFallback] [name:texgyretermesregular] [0x0323]
> [force=no,check=no]
>
> Now I would like to remap the exclam character to this dotbelowcom.

If it was me, I would go for an active character, as that seems the most
straightforward solution.

> Again, no problem: with a fea file, I can write a sub rule
>
> sub exclam by dotbelowcomb

It is better to forget about fea files alltogether. Even when they
actually work, the interface is ugly.

> but I can't combine both approaches: if the font doesn't have the
> character, I get an error about "invalid glyph index." In good old
> pdftex, it was possible to define a virtual font for such occasions, and
> I seem to remember that there's something similar in mkiv, but I'm
> unsure how it can be done. Any pointers?

Mkiv has an interface for virtual math, but I am not sure whether that
also works for text fonts (not do I know how, if so). If it does not
yet but could be made to do so, then that would be a very useful
extension to the font fallbacks...

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: virtual fonts in luatex?
@ 2009-10-01  8:22   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-10-01  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco,

thanks for your thoughts on that!

Here's what Hans wrote about a year ago :-)

> no, active chars are a pain ... because they need to adapt to all kind
> of situations then, i'm glad that i got rid of the active : cum suis
>
> of course we can add a new core-spa feature that remaps chars (kind of
> like french spacing)

My problem would be that I need the ! active only inside the macro
assignment, so that would demand something along the \scantokens
macro, and I have never quite understood how that works...

>> Again, no problem: with a fea file, I can write a sub rule
>>
>> sub exclam by dotbelowcomb
>
> It is better to forget about fea files alltogether. Even when they
> actually work, the interface is ugly.

I agree, but I found them quite useful for some of the crazy stuff
that I'm doing with fonts... Maybe I'll write a simple lua gsub
function and pass all text through that.

> Mkiv has an interface for virtual math, but I am not sure whether that
> also works for text fonts (not do I know how, if so). If it does not
> yet but could be made to do so, then that would be a very useful
> extension to the font fallbacks...

I agree :-)

Thanks

Thomas

* Re: virtual fonts in luatex?
@ 2009-10-01 17:55   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-10-01 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Mkiv has an interface for virtual math, but I am not sure whether that
> also works for text fonts (not do I know how, if so). If it does not
> yet but could be made to do so, then that would be a very useful
> extension to the font fallbacks...

the general font fallbacks mechanism (definefontfallback cum suis) can
be used as one can remap ranges as well as individual characters

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: virtual fonts in luatex?
@ 2009-10-01 18:18     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-10-01 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 1, 2009, at 7:55 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

>> Mkiv has an interface for virtual math, but I am not sure whether
>> that
>> also works for text fonts (not do I know how, if so). If it does not
>> yet but could be made to do so, then that would be a very useful
>> extension to the font fallbacks...
>
> the general font fallbacks mechanism (definefontfallback cum suis)
> can be used as one can remap ranges as well as individual characters
>
> Hans

Well, my problem is: want to remap ! to dotbelowcomb, AND I want this
taken from a fallback font when the font doesn't have it. This doesn't
work; I get errors about "invalid glyph index."

Thomas

* Re: virtual fonts in luatex?
@ 2009-10-01 18:23       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-10-01 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2009, at 7:55 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>>> Mkiv has an interface for virtual math, but I am not sure whether that
>>> also works for text fonts (not do I know how, if so). If it does not
>>> yet but could be made to do so, then that would be a very useful
>>> extension to the font fallbacks...
>>
>> the general font fallbacks mechanism (definefontfallback cum suis) can
>> be used as one can remap ranges as well as individual characters
>>
>> Hans
>
> Well, my problem is: want to remap ! to dotbelowcomb, AND I want this
> taken from a fallback font when the font doesn't have it. This doesn't
> work; I get errors about "invalid glyph index."

hm, weird ... example ...

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* obscure luatex error
@ 2009-10-15 13:56         ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2009-10-15 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

In trying to compile a LARGE project (585 pages, 260 figures, 27 tables,
indexing, bibliography, ...), I produce an obscure luatex error:

luatex: ../../../source/texk/web2c/luatexdir/tex/printing.c:266: print:
Assertion `c < 256' failed.
[329.327MTXrun | fatal error, no return code, message: luatex: execution
interrupted

probably due to a floatblock or other buffer overflow, I suspect.  For if I
remove about half of the chapters from the project, it will compile.

Latest "minimals" distribution:
ConTeXt  ver: 2009.10.02 13:14 MKIV  fmt: 2009.10.15  int: english/english
mkiv lua stats : luatex banner             - this is luatex, version
beta-0.43.0-2009081914
I have tried both amd64 and i386, and both fail at the same point, so it is
not a problem of (dynamic) memory allocation (there is more available on the
first machine).

The full project compiles under mkii but systematically fails under mkiv.

Unfortunately, I cannot produce a "minimal" example...

Can someone suggest how I should proceed, such as any configuration file that
can be tuned... ?

Thanks

Alan

* Re: obscure luatex error
@ 2009-10-15 14:09           ` Matthijs Kooijman
From: Matthijs Kooijman @ 2009-10-15 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> luatex: ../../../source/texk/web2c/luatexdir/tex/printing.c:266: print:
> Assertion `c < 256' failed.
> [329.327MTXrun | fatal error, no return code, message: luatex: execution
> interrupted

A quick glance at the code, shows it's in the following part:

  /*
  An entire string is output by calling |print|. Note that if we are outputting
  the single standard ASCII character \.c, we could call |print("c")|, since
  |"c"=99| is the number of a single-character string, as explained above. But
  |print_char("c")| is quicker, so \TeX\ goes directly to the |print_char|
  routine when it knows that this is safe. (The present implementation
  assumes that it is always safe to print a visible ASCII character.)
  @^system dependencies@>

  The first 256 entries above the 17th unicode plane are used for a
  special trick: when \TeX\ has to print items in that range, it will
  instead print the character that results from substracting 0x110000
  from that value. This allows byte-oriented output to things like
  \.{\\specials} and \.{\\pdfliterals}. Todo: Perhaps it would be useful
  to do the same substraction while typesetting.
  */

  void print(integer s)
  {                               /* prints string |s| */
              } else if (s >= 0x110000) {
                  int c = s - 0x110000;
                  assert(c < 256);
                  print_char(c);
              } else {
  }

It seems the second comment block talks about the code in which the error
occurs. It also seems that this is either caused by some very high unicode
character that's printed, or some invalid (uninitialized?) value is passed to
print().

Do you think you could compile luatex with CFLAGS=-g, and run it in gdb to get
a backtrace? That might help to see where this comes from...

Gr.

Matthijs

* Re: obscure luatex error
@ 2009-10-15 14:18             ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-10-15 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthijs Kooijman wrote:

> It seems the second comment block talks about the code in which the error
> occurs. It also seems that this is either caused by some very high unicode
> character that's printed, or some invalid (uninitialized?) value is passed to
> print().
>
> Do you think you could compile luatex with CFLAGS=-g, and run it in gdb to get
> a backtrace? That might help to see where this comes from...

Like Matthijs says, a backtrace is really needed to pinpoint this.
If you can not figure out how to do that, then perhaps sending me
(personally) the complete input in an archive is an option?

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: obscure luatex error
@ 2009-10-15 14:27             ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-10-15 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 4:09 PM, Matthijs Kooijman <matthijs@stdin.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> luatex: ../../../source/texk/web2c/luatexdir/tex/printing.c:266: print:
>> Assertion `c < 256' failed.
>> [329.327MTXrun | fatal error, no return code, message: luatex: execution
>> interrupted
>
> A quick glance at the code, shows it's in the following part:
>
>  /*
>  An entire string is output by calling |print|. Note that if we are outputting
>  the single standard ASCII character \.c, we could call |print("c")|, since
>  |"c"=99| is the number of a single-character string, as explained above. But
>  |print_char("c")| is quicker, so \TeX\ goes directly to the |print_char|
>  routine when it knows that this is safe. (The present implementation
>  assumes that it is always safe to print a visible ASCII character.)
>  @^system dependencies@>
>
>  The first 256 entries above the 17th unicode plane are used for a
>  special trick: when \TeX\ has to print items in that range, it will
>  instead print the character that results from substracting 0x110000
>  from that value. This allows byte-oriented output to things like
>  \.{\\specials} and \.{\\pdfliterals}. Todo: Perhaps it would be useful
>  to do the same substraction while typesetting.
>  */
>
>  void print(integer s)
>  {                               /* prints string |s| */
>              } else if (s >= 0x110000) {
>                  int c = s - 0x110000;
>                  assert(c < 256);
>                  print_char(c);
>              } else {
>  }
>
> It seems the second comment block talks about the code in which the error
> occurs. It also seems that this is either caused by some very high unicode
> character that's printed, or some invalid (uninitialized?) value is passed to
> print().
>
> Do you think you could compile luatex with CFLAGS=-g, and run it in gdb to get
> a backtrace? That might help to see where this comes from...

changing
STRIP_LUATEX=TRUE
in
STRIP_LUATEX=FALSE
in build.sh isn't enough ?

--
luigi

* Re: obscure luatex error
@ 2009-10-15 14:28               ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-10-15 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

luigi scarso wrote:

> changing
> STRIP_LUATEX=TRUE
> in
> STRIP_LUATEX=FALSE
> in build.sh isn't enough ?

probably is. And indeed, you defiantely also need to do that
or
	./build.sh --nostrip

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: obscure luatex error
@ 2009-10-15 14:32               ` Matthijs Kooijman
From: Matthijs Kooijman @ 2009-10-15 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi luigi,

> > Do you think you could compile luatex with CFLAGS=-g, and run it in gdb to get
> > a backtrace? That might help to see where this comes from...
>
> changing
> STRIP_LUATEX=TRUE
> in
> STRIP_LUATEX=FALSE
> in build.sh isn't enough ?

I don't know the luatex build system, I just posted general instructions :-)

Gr.

Matthijs

* Re: obscure luatex error
@ 2009-10-15 14:36                 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-10-15 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Matthijs Kooijman <matthijs@stdin.nl> wrote:
> Hi luigi,
>
>> > Do you think you could compile luatex with CFLAGS=-g, and run it in gdb to get
>> > a backtrace? That might help to see where this comes from...
>>
>> changing
>> STRIP_LUATEX=TRUE
>> in
>> STRIP_LUATEX=FALSE
>> in build.sh isn't enough ?
>
> I don't know the luatex build system, I just posted general instructions :-)
pretty simple, on linux:
download source,uncompress and
$>./build.sh

--
luigi

* Re: obscure luatex error
@ 2009-10-15 15:08                   ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2009-10-15 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Thursday 15 October 2009 16:36:01 luigi scarso wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Matthijs Kooijman <matthijs@stdin.nl>
wrote:
> > Hi luigi,

> >> changing
> >> STRIP_LUATEX=TRUE
> >> in
> >> STRIP_LUATEX=FALSE
> >> in build.sh isn't enough ?
> >
> > I don't know the luatex build system, I just posted general instructions
> > :-)
>
> pretty simple, on linux:
> download source,uncompress and
> $>./build.sh

Not so easy: I have never compiled luatex before!

$ svn checkout http://foundry.supelec.fr/svn/luatex
(downloads 3.9G, including all beta versions in tag/)

$ cd trunk
$ ./build.sh --nostrip
libtool: link: gcc  lib/lib.a
/home/local/src/luatex/trunk/build/texk/kpathsea/.libs/libkpathsea.a -lm
lib/lib.a(main.o): In function `main':
/home/local/src/luatex/trunk/build/texk/web2c/lib/../../../../source/texk/web2c/lib/main.c:26:
undefined reference to `mainbody'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[5]: *** [tangleboot] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/local/src/luatex/trunk/build/texk/web2c'
make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/local/src/luatex/trunk/build/texk/web2c'
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/local/src/luatex/trunk/build/texk/web2c'
make[2]: *** [subtexk] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/local/src/luatex/trunk/build/texk'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/local/src/luatex/trunk/build/texk'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
luatex binary not stripped
ls: cannot access build/texk/web2c/luatex: No such file or directory
$

So I do not yet have a compiled, unstripped version of luatex.

Alan

* Re: obscure luatex error
@ 2009-10-15 15:13                     ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-10-15 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau@cea.fr> wrote:
> On Thursday 15 October 2009 16:36:01 luigi scarso wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Matthijs Kooijman <matthijs@stdin.nl>
> wrote:
>> > Hi luigi,

>> > I don't know the luatex build system, I just posted general instructions
>> > :-)
>>
>> pretty simple, on linux:
>> download source,uncompress and
>> $>./build.sh
>>

> Not so easy: I have never compiled luatex before!
welcome!

> $ svn checkout http://foundry.supelec.fr/svn/luatex
> (downloads 3.9G, including all beta versions in tag/)
>
> $ cd trunk
> $ ./build.sh --nostrip
> libtool: link: gcc  lib/lib.a
> /home/local/src/luatex/trunk/build/texk/kpathsea/.libs/libkpathsea.a -lm
> lib/lib.a(main.o): In function `main':
> /home/local/src/luatex/trunk/build/texk/web2c/lib/../../../../source/texk/web2c/lib/main.c:26:
> undefined reference to `mainbody'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[5]: *** [tangleboot] Error 1
> make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/local/src/luatex/trunk/build/texk/web2c'
> make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/local/src/luatex/trunk/build/texk/web2c'
> make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/local/src/luatex/trunk/build/texk/web2c'
> make[2]: *** [subtexk] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/local/src/luatex/trunk/build/texk'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/local/src/luatex/trunk/build/texk'
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> luatex binary not stripped
> ls: cannot access build/texk/web2c/luatex: No such file or directory
> $
Try add
export CONFIG_SHELL='/bin/bash'

in build.sh around line 14

ie
from this
# try to find gnu make; we may need it
MAKE=make;

to this

# try to find gnu make; we may need it
export CONFIG_SHELL='/bin/bash'
MAKE=make;

--
luigi

* Re: obscure luatex error (fixed!)
       [not found]   ` <4AD86411.6040005@elvenkind.com>
@ 2009-10-17 11:50     ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2009-10-17 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday 16 October 2009 14:16:17 Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Ok, I now have committed an official fix. The problem was that when
> converting lua strings to token lists, utf-8 characters were converted
> incorrectly. This bug affected *all* luastring->tokenlist conversion,
> so I am quite surprised it too so long to surface. Anyway, fixed now.

So, following some exchange off-list, Taco was able to find the bug in luatex.
It is fixed now in the cvs trunk and will hopefully make it soon to the
minimals binary distribution.

Thanks Taco for the fix and Luigi for helping me figure out how to pinpoint the
bug!

Alan

* Re: obscure luatex error (fixed!)
@ 2009-10-17 12:02       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-10-17 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 13:50, Alan BRASLAU wrote:

> Taco was able to find the bug in luatex.
> It is fixed now in the cvs trunk and will hopefully make it soon to the
> minimals binary distribution.

I cannot promise when I will be able to commit linux (debian etch) and
mac binaries (if we need to retain Tiger compatibility probably
someone else needs to take over the compilation).

Mojca